Australian Greens, a disaster for the worlds climate.

I like being a bit controversial.

It surprised me to see on this forum how many intelligent people were going to give their vote to the greens. I always thought green voters were less intelligent, non working, pot smoking, no hopers, but I was wrong. Highly successfull, above average intelligence people were voting green. Mainly in the name of the environment. I think the greens are the worst possible solution for our environment, and here is why I think that.

The labor party thinks we don't need nuclear power in Australia, but uranium mining will continue. Fair enough, I would like to see nuclear power here, to do our bit to reduce our world highest green house emmisions. But no nuclear power in Australia is OK. Rudd wants to develope clean coal. I think clean coal is more a theory than fact, but I hope we can do it. Go Kevin, good luck mate.

However, The greens specifically state that they want to keep uranium in the ground. I assume that means no uranium mining. :eek:

The world needs nuclear power now. It needs it to fill in the gap until nuclear fusion, or geothermal, or beaming microwave power down from satellite orbiting power solar collectors, or some other power source that hasn't even been thought of yet. China and India, if they don't get our uranium, they will go coal. One thing is certain, wind and solar will not supply base load power, and ethanol and biodiesel are a joke.

An interesting chart of developed world power sources,.....

fuel20source.jpg

Notice the beautifull hydro contribution from Canada. I think New Zealand would be similar. We don't have that option here, as not enough rain, however, if we did would the greens let any more dams be built to harness this clean energy? I doubt it.

I hope the green don't get any real power in this country, because if the developing world that needs our uranium don't get it, they will go coal.

Now to agriculture.

The greens specifically state they encourage organic agriculture, and the reduction in artificial fertilizers and chemicals.

Organic agriculture is great in theory. [but so is communism]... No chemicals, no fertilizer, all natural. But agriculture is not natural. In nature, the soil was never 'mined'. Nothing was taken. Plants grew, they died, everything was recycled. Animals shat back out the nutrients.

Today tonnes of plant and animal matter are being removed and it has to be replaced.

Organic food is so much more expensive, because it is so less productive. As far as grain growing, it's a third as productive. I know two organic grain growers. They have to grow legumes for half the time to provide the nitrogen, and then they have to supply tonnes of manure per hectare per crop for the other nutrients. They also have to plough the soil. They only survive because they get so much more dollars per tonne for their grain, but not triple, so they will end up going bust, while their soil blows away.

Farming today in Australia has undergone a revolution. The soil is either not ploughed, or only cultivated occasionally. Stubble is left on the surface. Worms and microbs have increased now that ploughing the soil is redundant. Yields have increased substantially. Even in this drought, the few Aussie farmers that are left will grow 20 million tonnes of grain this winter crop being harvested now, or almost a tonne per person.

Organic farming will mean a return to the bad old days of ploughing the soil, massive wind and water erosion and reduced yields. It will also burn much more energy from the tractors having to plough the soil again. It will be like going back in time twenty years.

Organic farming is a third as productive as conventional agriculture. And that is with the nutrients that are today obtained from animal manure and organic fertilizer. This organic fertilizer would not exist without oil based conventional grain growing. Without this supply of nutrients from animal manure, I reckon organic farming would be a sixth as productive. Organic farming could feed a billion people, not six billion. Funnily enough, or maybe just a coincidence, the world population was just a billion before artificial chemical fertilizer was invented and the worlds natural fertilizer supplies, [mainly bird crap] were being depleted. There is no going back now.

http://www.hydro.com/en/About-Hydro/Our-history/1900---1917/1900-On-the-brink-of-famine/

Organic farming needs much more land than conventional agriculture to grow the same amount of food. Food production is already struggling to keep up. That's why grain, and milk and meat prices have doubled in the last few years.

Organic farming would be a disaster for the worlds environment. The more productive the current agricultural land, the more land can be saved for forest, wilderness and endangered animals and plants.

http://www.cgfi.org/materials/articles/2002/nov_15pr_02.htm

Labor has romped in. Congratulations, I hope Kevin does as good a job as John did. However, if the greens get too much say in things, our environment will be the big loser. I'm terrified what the greens could do to agriculture, right at the start of a soft commodities boom.

See ya's.

Last edited:
I'm terrified what the greens could do to agriculture, right at the start of a soft commodities boom.

like that farmer on aca the other night who was being heralded for reducing greenhouse gases - but reverting back to horse and plow - and encouraging all other farmers to follow suit. and he was being applauded by the media!

just how were we supposed to then feed the starving masses.

- but reverting back to horse and plow -

just how were we supposed to then feed the starving masses.

That is just a bad joke. Horses and Oxen ate a quarter of the grain produced and are the least efficient of all. There is no need to plough the soil. It is a ridiculous practice, but organic farmers have to do it.

This is what todays modern farmers do.
This is my sorghum planted two weeks ago.

Picture015-1.jpg

See ya's.

Last edited:
Topcropper can we place the spent uranium fuel in your backyard, might gain some great GM(genetically mutated) crops. How much uranium is left in the ground? Good idea every country should swap coal to nuclear and see how quick production peaks. It is a finite source of energy!!!!

"production of organic farming was 20% lower compared to that of the conventional methods. Still, the study noted that the expenditure on energy and fertilizer in organic farming was 50% lower compared to that of the conventional methods. The Swiss study also reported that organic products contained 97% fewer pesticides"

http://www.goorganic.com.au/farming/organic-productivity.asp

When did the liberal party jump on the band wagon in regards to climate change?

A coal plant produces more radioactive material than a nuclear plant only its dispersed into the atmosphere.

Nuclear is the cleanest, cheapest and most efficient power in the world. Australia is the dirtiest, most expencive and most un-efficient power producer in the developed world.... think about it.

Topcropper can we place the spent uranium fuel in your backyard, might gain some great GM(genetically mutated) crops. How much uranium is left in the ground? Good idea every country should swap coal to nuclear and see how quick production peaks. It is a finite source of energy!!!!

No need to put the nuclear waste on prime agricultural land, on a flood plain, above Australia's great artesian basin. There would be ideal places in remote parts of the outback in geological sound rock.

How much uranium???
Enough to supply the world with all it's needs until something better comes along. We don't have the luxury of waiting.

See ya's.

Last edited:
"production of organic farming was 20% lower compared to that of the conventional methods. Still, the study noted that the expenditure on energy and fertilizer in organic farming was 50% lower compared to that of the conventional methods. The Swiss study also reported that organic products contained 97% fewer pesticides"

http://www.goorganic.com.au/farming/organic-productivity.asp

Google away on 'organic farming'. You will find hundreds of positive stories to the negative ones. Perhaps it's thousands. Organic farming is so perfect in the first glance. I'm pointing out why it's not what everyone thinks.

There is so much positive stuff on organic farming, because it needs it. It needs the positive stories so people will pay so much more, and the organic farmers can survive on the lower production.

All farmers love organic farming. I do. Tell all your mates about it. Anything that takes so much more land to produce the same amount of food is good for farming. It is not good for the environment, for reasons I have pointed out, and it will definately not feed 6 billion people.

Agricultures biggest problem for so long has been overproduction. Organic food was a luxury that could be justified. But the tide has turned.

See ya's.

Nice post TC . I agree with everything ....

As a farmer myself I will learn to love organic farmers just a little more . :)

Any predictions of what is in store for the year ahead ? ;)

Shawn

Do you have a job?

Dear CrazyLAF

1. Please advise to whom you are addressing to.
2. Please add context to this question, where is the point you are asking?
3. If you are implying that the person is jobless becasue thier view is stupid, then please read the rules of the forum.

Thanks

Peter 14.7

I like your explanation TC about the non feasibility of organic farming. It makes sense. Primitive organic farming seems to be reliant on or encourage burn-backs in agriculture-dependent areas, eg Indonesia. The only reservation on your non-organic farming method is its reliance on extensive use of Roundup to eradicate weeds while allowing the targeted cereal plants to grow. Surely there will be buildup and untoward side effects from the use of chemicals on the environment.

I think nuclear for energy is sound too (within the limited time and options to hold back global warming) compared with coal. Otherwise why would Scandinavian countries, so liberal and advanced in many things, choose to go nuclear power even with hydro and wind sources? About the method of pumping exhaust gases from coal burning into underground reserves for storage, that must be so difficult. Cracks in the reservoir will be difficult to prevent and under pressure the CO2 will emit back into the atmosphere? Isn't that a big risk? Can the earth withstand and absorb the shock of dealing with tons of CO2 being released from such 'stockpiles'? I am usually not a GD, but this is a scenario that could happen.

F

Last edited:
Hi TC, thanks for the reply
Fair call on the organic farming, i think we have spoken of this before on your farm thread. I just don't see another 100 years of farming with fossil fuels as being sustainable, I also don't see 6 Billion people hanging around for long if we keep stripping resources.

In regards to nuclear, don't get me wrong I really don't think coal fired power is a very intelligent idea. But how long will it take to get nuclear plants built and to find people with better qualifications than Homer Simpson to run them.

I guess my major concern is if we keep using finite resources at the rate we are what will our great grandkids use to supply themselves with a comfortable lifestyle.

In regards to the Greens they are just an alternative political party, some policies are good some bad. I also don't think building a giant pulp mill will assist our CO2 emmisions all that much(ALP&LP both supported the mill)

Cheers

The only reservation on your non-organic farming method is its reliance on extensive use of Roundup to eradicate weeds while allowing the targeted cereal plants to grow.

F

Francesco, you seem to be talking about 'roundup ready' crops. These are crops that are bred via GM to be resistant to roundup. Thus the young crop is sprayed with roundup and the weeds die.

Cotton is the only crop grown in Australia that is 'roundup ready'. In other parts of the world roundup ready crops can be corn, soybeans, and canola and others are being developed. Although spraying a crop with roundup does sound bad, but in reality, the roundup spray is elliminating several other much nastier chemicals.

I, like most other farmers in Australia am using roundup in the fallow and pre-plant period to elliminate ploughing and it's associated problems. Roundup has shown absolutely no buildup in the soil or any other problem. I would love to show you the worms and mulch in my soil now, and the organic matter has doubled. Stopping ploughing of Australian soils has been revolutionary for soil health, and no one will be going back to the old days.

See ya's.

Last edited:
About the method of pumping exhaust gases from coal burning into underground reserves for storage, that must be so difficult. Cracks in the reservoir will be difficult to prevent and under pressure the CO2 will emit back into the atmosphere? Isn't that a big risk? Can the earth withstand and absorb the shock of dealing with tons of CO2 being released from such 'stockpiles'? I am usually not a GD, but this is a scenario that could happen.F

Yeah, I hold those reservations too.

This is 'clean coal'. Kevin Rudd based his environmental claims on being able to do clean coal, as in pumping all this CO2 back into the ground. I don't know anything about it, and I thought it was just all theory, not done yet.

John Howard was supposedly the environmental bad guy, yet he had a real solution, nuclear. Kevin has a solution, 'clean coal', yet no one even knows if it is a solution or if it will work. The greens have no solution as per usual, just the usual solar, wind, renewable rantings that we know will not supply base load power or even a fraction of it, yet the voters loved Bob Browns rantings.

See ya's.

Not sure how to get around the problem of organic farming not producing enough food to feed 6 billion people, but we have to figure out something, because we can't keep feeding ourselves chemicals all the time.

Although there's no unrefutable data yet, a whole lot of science folk and medical folk blame the chemicals we've been eating so much of in the last 30 years (that we put into the ground, that we spray onto crops, that we add during processing) for alarming increases in breast cancer, diabetes, asthma, IBS, etc. etc.

There are methods of burning coal without having any emissions but i don't see us using the latest technology until its an old technology.

You cant put Carbon back into the earth without compressing it.

The earth isn't big enough

As for organic farming its possible that it could work however a lot more work needs to be put into it to get the production levels much higher. There needs to be a middle ground.

I heard on ABC radio the other day that in Gipsland they have had to plow much of their food crops back into the ground because there was an oversupply

Great post TC.

Really, organic should be considered a niche market. Some people want it, so they can have it if they want to pay more for it. Kinda like sports cars and dinner at expensive restaurants.

There's a market for it, so good luck to those who want to supply it.

But you're right. It aint exactly much good for baseload consumption.

Sorry, how long does the radioactive waste from Nuclear power last in the environment?

So you want a risk free world? Then you want to stop driving a car and flying in planes or riding bicycles....very high risk of being hurt or killed....

This might help you prioritize what the Green movement have misinformed you about:

"Some people claim that the problems of nuclear waste do not come anywhere close to approaching the problems of fossil fuel waste.[51][52]. A 2004 article from the BBC states: "The World Health Organization (WHO) says 3 million people are killed worldwide by outdoor air pollution annually from vehicles and industrial emissions, and 1.6 million indoors through using solid fuel."[15] In the U.S. alone, fossil fuel waste kills 20,000 people each year.[53] A coal power plant releases 100 times as much radiation as a nuclear power plant of the same wattage.[54] In addition, fossil fuel waste causes global warming, which leads to increased deaths from hurricanes, flooding, and other weather events.
The World Nuclear Association provides a comparison of deaths due to accidents among different forms of energy production. In their comparison, deaths per TW-yr of electricity produced from 1970 to 1992 are quoted as 885 for hydropower, 342 for coal, 85 for natural gas, and 8 for nuclear[55]. Air pollution from fossil fuels is argued to cause tens of thousands of additional deaths each year in the US alone.[56] Furthermore, a 2004 news article from the BBC stated, "The World Health Organization (WHO) says 3 million people are killed worldwide by outdoor air pollution annually from vehicles and industrial emissions, and 1.6 million indoors through using solid fuel. Most are in poor countries."[57]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power#Life_cycle

Back