Australias next Prime Minister

Methinks there could be a 'sleeper' in the Libs ranks.

I've recently read Andrew Robbs' book - Black Dog Daze.

I was looking forward to his account of & insight into his own depressive illness, however the greater content of the book was more about his career and generally kicking Labour at any opportunity.......and more about his career (as in a big self promotion sense).

There is lengthy, repetitive referral to the protracted period of time where senior Lib figures were in his words, "hounding him" to take the reins but he felt he couldn't do the job while struggling with his illness. The Libs went with Turnbull but that went pear shaped very quickly after he went against the Party and demanded they support the ETS (Robbs' dialogue on how close to the wire this went and the behind closed doors arguments is interesting).

The latter portion of the book makes it very clear Robb has been steeling himself to take the mantle of leader should he be asked again. He clearly states that he would accept.....in his words, "This time I am ready".

In his commentary Robb also makes it very clear that Turnbull is history as the bus driver and that senior Libs will not go there again......sorry kids, I'd say he's finished.

Robbs' references to Abbott are superficially complimentary and not entirely convincing; they're more guarded......which is no surprise given Abbott is his boss. Rightly or wrongly, the way I read his comments was that the Libs pushed Abbott into the spotlight for his strong performance over a period of time, but also because they felt others were not going to be the front man they desperately wanted. From within the Lib Party ranks, for the short term he's safe, but he may not be their long term leader........well not if Andrew Robb gets a sniff.

FWIW (which is probably SFA), my personal take on the potential alternatives mentioned throughout this thread to date is that Joe Hockey is a soft, yes man and gets nervous when pushed in interviews (there is also a gentle reference in Robbs' book along this line); he doesn't give me any confidence at all, in just the same way as Alexander Downer gave me the impression he was as stout as tapioca pudding......but he found his feet diplomatically licking crack in Foreign Affairs under Howard. I'm not sure about Andrew Robb - he could be ok if he gets a shot, but that would mean the Libs having to oust Abbot......not pretty, but plausible because Abbott would only need to slip up once or twice in this current world economic fragility and his honeymoon would be over in a flash. I think he would be put under enormous pressure from within the Lib party.

For labour, Steven Smith is developing, but his window of opportunity lies in the demise of Gillard; and what do they do with Rudd? Smith's articulate, smart & forthright, but I don't know if he has the gusto to be an effective leader in opposition (this will be his only chance to have a crack I feel). My money's on Rudd to lead Labour in opposition. Combet isn't ready yet and has some serious public image work to do; regardless he is some way behind Bill Shorten......will be interesting to see how these two play out their roles over the next few years.....big egos, big ambitions. Come to think of it, Shorten has been very careful in his public exposure.....I've seen him a couple of times being interviewed and he's spoken very well and clearly is one of the party heavies - so he has internal support. He's got plenty of time on his side if he's patient enough to see Rudd off for a second time (although Rudd might not show the same courtesy to him).

I'm afraid I am apathetic in not learning more about our Federal political machinations, but I will say that I am one of the very, very sick puppies that enjoys the Press Club Lunch broadcasts and also thinks Parliamentary Question Time on the ABC is prime viewing, an absolute hoot and as funny as @#$K.

Now, where's my meds?

Ian.

So doing a deal behind the scenes from the public and forcing it down the electorate's throats is being honorable and visionary? This is truly the Holy Grail of Politics - Get people excited to pay The Great Big Tax On Everything! It's OK though - I will just reduce my taxable income to get the larger tax-free threshold while the middle-class fools who voted this in will get slammed (as they always, always do).

fallen for the same trap that most modern Australians and media have fallen into - the Presidential style - leader takes all approach.

...I see that Greece has also fallen for the same trap...

Swapping out one Prime Minister and replacing him with another from the same party will do absolutely nothing, in terms of their pathetic basket case economy.

Media will have a field day, they've got their ultimate victory, a PM falling on his sword....but so what ??

Everyone sitting around in cafes saying the Govt should do more for the citizens of the country....whilst the debt gets ever higher, the people get ever fatter and lazier and the country collectively goes down the gurgler.

In a couple of months time, the population and media will have forgotten the personality of George Papandreou, and yet still be saddled with a huge debt, a hopeless economy and population living well above its means and refusing to tighten their belts.

Swapping out the PM of the country will achieve nothing. See Australia as a fine example of that.

Unless the policy is changed, there is no change.....the leader's personality / traits / human characteristics have no bearing on the matter.

Is this a a prime example of a Liberal voter? That's a pretty childish post mate.

This is what I don't like about Gillard, she only goes with what is going to get her power and in most cases she just goes the easy way and agrees with all the Greens policies. I also agree with dazz, she is pretty disgusting, I'm a person that can see through a person and what they are made of and their inner thoughts very easy and that woman is bad. In fact if Labour had any other leader besides her I would never listen to any of their policies but with her there it just reminds me how could a political party have this weirdo as their leader and that is when I don't go any further, I can't get past her.
She makes me cringe when I see her meeting other world leaders and that stupid giggle she lets out...obviously thinking..."this is fun being PM...hee hee..."

:rolleyes:

Hey; I can't believe a Politics thread is still up and running!

Normally by now there would have been 25 personal attacks and as many sookies and the thread would have been shut down.

I vote Joe Hockey.

Hey; I can't believe a Politics thread is still up and running!

Normally by now there would have been 25 personal attacks and as many sookies and the thread would have been shut down.

I vote Joe Hockey.

I vote anyone but the current PM and the current opposition leader :D

I reckon most people have called a bit of a truce on these ones. No point getting personal on something that is a bit of a distraction.

If they dump Tony from libs and get in Malcolm Turnbull they have my vote (can't believe I said that...vote for the libs??).

I cannot see myself voting for Julia Gillard even though I am die hard labour voter at heart. ;)

I vote anyone but the current PM and the current opposition leader :D

I reckon most people have called a bit of a truce on these ones. No point getting personal on something that is a bit of a distraction.

I've not only got a strong feeling it won't be Gillard, I've got a feeling she won't be opposition leader either.

Infact depending where all this emerging new evidence and fraud squad involvement takes this, she might not make it to the next election a PM.

I see the Libs winning the next election with Abbott as PM.

Bring Rudd back to fix up all the backstabbers Whoops there wont be many left in the ALP. Mr negative should get the flick too.
Maybe we need to follow China and have 10 year plans to enrich this country instead of keeping these pollies who dont contribute to the mainstream and do everything from a creation that is Canberra thats not in the real world

Back