Australia's Smartest Kid Accepted Into Harvard

There are certain sectors within certain sectors of society where, if you are a student, anything less than a stellar academic record that sees you end up in a big name uni studying to become a lawyer / doctor / engineer is, from what I have observed, simply unacceptable.

She might be from one of those families...

When i was young, we had a friend of the family who was Thai. By time their daughter was in preschool, she could spell all the Days and Months both forwards and backwards in both English and Thai. She could also do all sorts of math problems that were beyond her age.

I asked her parents about this. They spoke of the struggles and torment they had in their country and the difficulty in coming here and said that education was the only form of wealth that couldn't be stolen, so best to amass it. And at such a young age, everything 'sticks', for any ethnicity I believe.

It's always interesting how immigrant kids do better. Perhaps they try harder or have higher IQs?

You just need the right motivation. I once told my Italian father that I hated school and wasnt doing my homework ever again, he gave me one hell of a beating. I've been meaning to thank him.

They try harder, study harder.

Bayview, although you married an immigrant (she is American no? - correct me if I am wrong), I sometimes get the feeling from your posts that you are not comfortable with new arrivals.

I'm not referring to the shrill, troublesome ones who arrive by boat and burn down detention centres - regardless of their origin, these people are clearly violent and they have no place here. Jewish and Vietnamese refugees in the past never did anything like that.

I'm referring to ordinary people who arrive legally, by plane, and try to make a go of things. Like that kid who got made Harvard's grade. She's done us proud We need a ship-load of people like her, don't you think?

Have I read you wrongly? If so my apologies in advance.

can't believe you posted that ?!

About IQs, there is no doubt. Read a book called the Bell Curve. Study after study has shown that East Asian IQs exceed all others. Personally, I'm jealous as hell. No sour grapes from me. Just total respect. Bring 'em over by the ship-load, we need immigrants like these!

Law... what a waste of talent. This girl could cure cancer

I concur. Speaking of Medicine, one of the two collaborators who discovered the HPV vaccine - something that will save millions of lives - was a Chinese immigrant, working in tandem with an Aussie. In the course of time I'm certain that a Nobel Prize is coming their way. Sadly, the Chinese guy died suddenly so he won't qualify - one has to be alive to get the Prize.

I think exposure counts for a lot. My mum labelled everything in the house, at eye height for a 1 year old, put 'alphabet fairies' on my walls, read to me a lot and taught me how to sound-out words. There wasn't any pressure, and she didn't call it 'learning', it was just interaction and play, but the end result was that I could read at 2 (kids books I mean, not Joyce). She didn't know much maths or science, or how to expose me to it, so that stuff I didn't learn until kindergarten.

Most Asian kids around here spend more time studying than Australian kids - having a tutor thoughout school is normal.

My older son was in an advanced maths class of mainly Asian students (for some reason there was also a second class of mainly Australian students) and ALL of the Asian students attended weekend 'maths school'.

Son says they always knew the subject content before it was taught unlike him who was learning it for the first time.

He also said that not all of these were very smart... they just put in a lot more - did less going out on weekends and played little if any sport allowing more time for study.

The other ethnic groups didn't follow the Asian habits that i know of.

Son has a good friend who has a Chinese mother and Aussie father and he went through school not doing 'extra' study and he dropped out of uni a couple of months ago (was doing law not engineering like many of his peers) and got a job in retail.

Could it be the different message on study and accomplishment from the parents making a difference perhaps??

I would have thought it was more environment than physical attributes... thickness of skull and all that, however I haven't read the Bell Curve and it would be interesting to know what they attribute the difference to.

interesting article here:

http://www.8asians.com/2011/05/27/are-asians-the-smartest-race/

"Most worrisome to me is what affects this debate has on our society. The conversation tends to reinforce stereotypes and justify institutional and societal racism. I hope we can eventually get to a day when we can be seen not as a homogeneous group but as individuals."

Bayview, although you married an immigrant (she is American no? - correct me if I am wrong), I sometimes get the feeling from your posts that you are not comfortable with new arrivals.

I'm not referring to the shrill, troublesome ones who arrive by boat and burn down detention centres - regardless of their origin, these people are clearly violent and they have no place here. Jewish and Vietnamese refugees in the past never did anything like that.

I'm referring to ordinary people who arrive legally, by plane, and try to make a go of things. Like that kid who got made Harvard's grade. She's done us proud We need a ship-load of people like her, don't you think?

Have I read you wrongly? If so my apologies in advance.
I just gave the immigrant kids a wrap - "They try harder, study harder".

My wife is Australian born to a Croatian Father and Dutch Mother, who met each other on the boat when they were immigrating to Australia back in the '60's.

They worked their butts off and bought a house in Noble Park when there was nothing there, and are still living in the same house today.

My FIL ran his own printing business and did cleaning jobs at night to earn more money to raise their 5 kids (2 sets of twins).

My MIL was a nurse until the 5 kids came along.

They are two of the best humans on this planet...do volunteer work for the local community and the Church, etc.

They live a quiet, generous to others life.

MY FIL watches soccer and barracks for Essendon.

My MIL, is addicted to knitting etc and makes loads of things for the Church to use for fundraising and so on.

They never bleat on about the homeland or "back home" or rant and rave because of some politician or some political or civil uprising event over there, etc.

They might mention it they way I would or other Aussies might, but it's just a discussion and a "tsk tsk" episode. The end.

In their hearts and minds they are 100% Aussie.

So, no; I don't have a problem with new arrivals, if they can be like this.

The problem I have with new arrivals is when they come over here, won't learn the language, won't assimilate, try to impose their culture and religion and homeland negativeness and violence on our Country.

If you want to live in my Country;

Be able to speak English,
Assimilate
Be accepting religiously of all people and religions.
Be productive and an asset to the Country.

My niece was married 2 weeks ago to an Indian man. He arrived in Aus 3 years ago, and could not speak any English at all.

Now, he can speak terrific English, and works as a taxi driver and security officer. He has assimilated 100% into Australian life.

He gives and receives racist jokes like water from the friends and family. It is quite hilarious. He can laugh at himself and has others laughing with him, have a beer, watch the footy and so on.

A terrific human (not because he has a beer).

He is the sort of new arrival I want.

The thing I don't like about new arrivals per se is that folk here in Aus blindly think more people is better for the economy.

It isn't.

I lived in the USA for 3 years, where they have a Country similar sized to ours, with 300 million people.

I can promise you that their lifestyle is not one bit better than ours, and in many, many instances it is worse.

Yes, the potential to make vast fortunes is there for a few due to the size of the customer base, but as for lifetyle and standard of living - we have a better one already.

Look at joints like India and China, and even England - waaaay too many people, and their lifestyle for the majority is not good.

The question is; what is enough?

50 million, 100 million, 200 million? We can accommodate that many because we have the space.

So what? Doesn't mean we have to fill it.

Let's call it 300 million - like the USA. Stop at that level. That's enough, yes? It's bloody hard to feed that many.

Now; go and live there for 3 years, and see whether you reckon here is better, or there.

Last edited:
Law... what a waste of talent. This girl could cure cancer

I think we're all being a bit harsh (and somewhat totalitarianist) on this girl when we make comments such as this.

It's her life, after all. Imo it is better that she pursues something that she is genuinely passionate about (as much as one can know that in their late teens) - rather than what everyone else thinks she should do. She might be extremely intelligent in the academic sense, but she has just as much right to make decisions (good or bad) as to her own direction in life as any other young adult does.

If she wants to move to Nimbin and smoke dope - it's not my business to try and stop her.

I think we're all being a bit harsh (and somewhat totalitarianist) on this girl when we make comments such as this.

It's her life, after all. Imo it is better that she pursues something that she is genuinely passionate about (as much as one can know that in their late teens) - rather than what everyone else thinks she should do. She might be extremely intelligent in the academic sense, but she has just as much right to make decisions (good or bad) as to her own direction in life as any other young adult does.

If she wants to move to Nimbin and smoke dope - it's not my business to try and stop her.

It's more the irony that if you're smart you might do law, but if you're REALLY smart you wouldn't.

Back