Australia's Smartest Kid Accepted Into Harvard

I just gave the immigrant kids a wrap - "They try harder, study harder".

My wife is Australian born to a Croatian Father and Dutch Mother, who met each other on the boat when they were immigrating to Australia back in the '60's.

They worked their butts off and bought a house in Noble Park when there was nothing there, and are still living in the same house today.

My FIL ran his own printing business and did cleaning jobs at night to earn more money to raise their 5 kids (2 sets of twins).

My MIL was a nurse until the 5 kids came along.

They are two of the best humans on this planet...do volunteer work for the local community and the Church, etc.

They live a quiet, generous to others life.

MY FIL watches soccer and barracks for Essendon.

My MIL, is addicted to knitting etc and makes loads of things for the Church to use for fundraising and so on.

They never bleat on about the homeland or "back home" or rant and rave because of some politician or some political or civil uprising event over there, etc.

They might mention it they way I would or other Aussies might, but it's just a discussion and a "tsk tsk" episode. The end.

In their hearts and minds they are 100% Aussie.

So, no; I don't have a problem with new arrivals, if they can be like this.

The problem I have with new arrivals is when they come over here, won't learn the language, won't assimilate, try to impose their culture and religion and homeland negativeness and violence on our Country.

If you want to live in my Country;

Be able to speak English,
Assimilate
Be accepting religiously of all people and religions.
Be productive and an asset to the Country.

My niece was married 2 weeks ago to an Indian man. He arrived in Aus 3 years ago, and could not speak any English at all.

Now, he can speak terrific English, and works as a taxi driver and security officer. He has assimilated 100% into Australian life.

He gives and receives racist jokes like water from the friends and family. It is quite hilarious. He can laugh at himself and has others laughing with him, have a beer, watch the footy and so on.

A terrific human (not because he has a beer).

He is the sort of new arrival I want.

The thing I don't like about new arrivals per se is that folk here in Aus blindly think more people is better for the economy.

It isn't.

I lived in the USA for 3 years, where they have a Country similar sized to ours, with 300 million people.

I can promise you that their lifestyle is not one bit better than ours, and in many, many instances it is worse.

Yes, the potential to make vast fortunes is there for a few due to the size of the customer base, but as for lifetyle and standard of living - we have a better one already.

Look at joints like India and China, and even England - waaaay too many people, and their lifestyle for the majority is not good.

The question is; what is enough?

50 million, 100 million, 200 million? We can accommodate that many because we have the space.

So what? Doesn't mean we have to fill it.

Let's call it 300 million - like the USA. Stop at that level. That's enough, yes? It's bloody hard to feed that many.

Now; go and live there for 3 years, and see whether you reckon here is better, or there.

There is nothing wrong with retaining ones culture or religion or talking about the old country.along as they obey the law, pay taxes, be productive and treat others with respect, its all good..

There is nothing wrong with retaining ones culture or religion or talking about the old country.along as they obey the law, pay taxes, be productive and treat others with respect, its all good..
Dead right.

You are talking about a sensible balance....

On the whole, from my observation over the last 50 years, I'd says this the case.

But, in the last 15 to 20 years, the pattern has changed and deteriorated.

Indeed which is why we should be very, very selective about who we allow in here, both in a broad (types/country of origin) and individual (police / ID checks) sense. Indians, as Bayview mentioned, are very hardworking people and tend to be great migrants. I welcome these kind of people. I detest those who come here, seek to leech off our generous welfare system, and breed children who will continue to be like them in a cycle of welfare dependency. These people should never be allowed to settle in this country because we do not owe them a living.

I detest those who come here, seek to leech off our generous welfare system, and breed children who will continue to be like them in a cycle of welfare dependency. These people should never be allowed to settle in this country because we do not owe them a living.
now, now; just leave the feral bogans out of this!

Dead right.

You are talking about a sensible balance....

On the whole, from my observation over the last 50 years, I'd says this the case.

But, in the last 15 to 20 years, the pattern has changed and deteriorated.

BV - i think you may need to read up on what the word assimilation means because what coastal said (and you supported) does not refer to assimilation but to integration. We certainly dont want assimilation in this country, a sea of beige would be terrible imo

We already have that problem with people who are already here. You want to import more?
Hell no.

Haven't you read any of my posts?

I want the gates shut.

None coming in, and all the ferals thrown out.

We've got enough folks now, and those here can produce a few zillion more in no time.

If the rules were really really selective about who comes - as you suggest - then I am for that, but will this happen, realistically?

But for me, it's not just about quality, but quantity for the sake of it. Everyone goes "yeah, we can handle shoit loads more!"

But can we, really? If manufacturing is going backwards, job losses are increasing (current figures), mechanisation of farming, cars, etc...these jobs will go.

What's replacing them in the short/medium term?

Last edited:
BV - i think you may need to read up on what the word assimilation means because what coastal said (and you supported) does not refer to assimilation but to integration. We certainly dont want assimilation in this country, a sea of beige would be terrible imo

as·sim·i·late
/əˈsiməˌlāt/
Verb

Take in (information, ideas, or culture) and understand fully: "assimilate the week's events".
Absorb and integrate (people, ideas, or culture) into a wider society or culture: "pop trends are assimilated into the mainstream".

Synonyms
digest - absorb - imbibe

in·te·grate
/ˈintiˌgrāt/
Verb

Combine (parts) with another so that they become a whole.
Bring into equal participation in; give equal consideration to: "integrating children with special needs".

Synonyms
unite

Semantics.

But yeah; they need to do both, right?

Not semantics, spend 10 mins to read more in depth about it. Assimilation and integration are 2 different things and integration is what I want to see and what we already are doing pretty well

We've got enough folks now, and those here can produce a few zillion more in no time.

But we don't seem to be doing a good job at it.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Products/3301.0~2011~Main+Features~Fertility+rates

No immigration, the population will start sliding backwards. :(

TBH I believe that we need to be actively increasing the population to a more sustainable level, ie circa 50m. Underutilised infrastructure costs can be shared over a greater number of tax payers, and efficiency measures which were too costly before can be productive investments.

Keep immigration out of major capitals over 2m, pushing them into the larger regional centres (Adelaide ;)), to increase demand and provide more jobs in retail, supply and a bunch of other industries which hire a large % of the population.

And when are we going to start trying to poach educated and skilled talent from the US etc. Time to turn Australia from being a brain draining nation, to an importer of talent.

Let's not forget the hordes of silly baby boomers who will be retiring on the govt teat despite living through a period of boom after boom in this country. We have to find a way to pay for them which is a big part of the push for greater population

i know I'm old, but I wasn't there. :D

Based on the Aus we all live in today, I'd say they probably thought the Aborigines were a bunch of uncivilised heathens,

I imagine Aborigines would disagree with you...

Most people overseas don't know Australia has a welfare system...

Not semantics, spend 10 mins to read more in depth about it. Assimilation and integration are 2 different things and integration is what I want to see and what we already are doing pretty well

To better get your point across, why not suggest a place to look? Suggesting someone to go and research something is at best unhelpful and at worst disrespectful. The odds that BayView or anyone else could figure out the exact point you are trying to make from random Googling is very low. If you ask for help on a forum how would it feel if someone said 'spend 10 mins to read more depth about it'?

Or better yet, please give us the simple definition of the difference. As Einstien said, 'If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it'.

To better get your point across, why not suggest a place to look? Suggesting someone to go and research something is at best unhelpful and at worst disrespectful. The odds that BayView or anyone else could figure out the exact point you are trying to make from random Googling is very low. If you ask for help on a forum how would it feel if someone said 'spend 10 mins to read more depth about it'?

Or better yet, please give us the simple definition of the difference. As Einstien said, 'If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it'.

I apologise if it seemed curt but i have actually discussed this once with BV in the past and did in fact post links.

Here is a simple one, honestly just searching for "difference between assimilation and integration" will pull up lots of things and i dare say the odds of anyone working out my point would be pretty high.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_t...similation_and_integration_of_ethnic_relation

"Assimilation means absorbing minorities into the ways of the majority - requiring them to adopt the majority's language, customs and 'values'.
Integration, by contrast, requires acceptance of a country's laws, of human rights such as freedom of speech, and of basic democratic rights, but does not require the eradication of all cultural differences or group-identities; it is conceived of as a two-way process, through which both the majority and the minorities influence and change one another, and in which differences can be peacefully accommodated as long is there a common commitment to living together."

My point is that what coastal suggested (and BV agreed with) that "There is nothing wrong with retaining ones culture or religion or talking about the old country.along as they obey the law, pay taxes, be productive and treat others with respect, its all good.." refers to integration and not assimilation.

Assimilation would mean us telling people to leave their cultures at the door when entering this country and become the same as us - well firstly that is a silly idea and secondly what is australian culture? there is no singular aussie culture like say japan or some other countries. we are a big, vast country full of immigrants and so what PRECISELY would people assimilate into if that is what we are demanding they do (as so many people demand).

Lastly i dont think it is disrespectful to suggest that someone researches the meaning of something they are suggesting, in this case assimilation. i think we all have a responsibility to at least look into whether or not our opinions are grounded in fact

Bay View, I respect your view on this. However I am interested to know when the boats first arrived, did any of the originally British immigrants to Australia adopt the original aboriginal culture?

which aboriginal culture would they pick? Plus it's not what invading forces do, particularly an advanced society that moved in on a collection of various hunters and gatherers

"Assimilation means absorbing minorities into the ways of the majority - requiring them to adopt the majority's language, customs and 'values'.
Integration, by contrast, requires acceptance of a country's laws, of human rights such as freedom of speech, and of basic democratic rights, but does not require the eradication of all cultural differences or group-identities; it is conceived of as a two-way process, through which both the majority and the minorities influence and change one another, and in which differences can be peacefully accommodated as long is there a common commitment to living together."
Arguably, these two could be be interchanged and mean the same.

My point is that what coastal suggested (and BV agreed with) that "There is nothing wrong with retaining ones culture or religion or talking about the old country.along as they obey the law, pay taxes, be productive and treat others with respect, its all good.." refers to integration and not assimilation.
Assimilation is similar to intergration, as you wrote below...

Assimilation would mean us telling people to leave their cultures at the door when entering this country and become the same as us
Broadly speaking; yes.

I don't expect my BIL to walk around in thongs, wearin a blue singlet and fly hat, sucking on VB's and swearing.

I do expect him to be able to hold down a job, to talk more than passable English, to not live in enclaves/ghettos of only his own race and never associate with anyone else, to not rant and rave about how his religion is better than any other, to not commit crimes in the name of some idiotic cultural theme or religion from back home.

Just be a normal, decent person who is part of the joint. And make me a curry from time to time. ;)

I know many, many folk from different cultures and they mostly retain an interest and a following of their culture.... As you do. No probs with that.

What I don't like seeing is when folk come here and try to replace the things we hold dear, and which have shaped this Country - with only their beliefs.

You can guess that the culprit is mainly the religious guff - that side of it that requires everyone else to change their whole way of life just to please a minority who whinge about everything they deem offensive.

There are certain cultural behaviors as well, but having the thread closed down is not worth them being mentioned....as it is guaranteed to be.

- well firstly that is a silly idea and secondly what is australian culture?
It is not one thing, but a collection of things, encompassing much that is desirable for people to come here....acceptance of folk who want to have a crack, who become part of the fabric, accept others and all religions and creeds.

This is why we have so much diversity.

But, there are those who come here and refuse to participate in any of it. I don't know why they would bother coming here, if that's the case.

there is no singular aussie culture like say japan or some other countries. we are a big, vast country full of immigrants and so what PRECISELY would people assimilate into if that is what we are demanding they do (as so many people demand).
It is something that you learn through observation when you arrive at the chosen Country you want to move to, and then get with the program.

I met many Aussies while in the USA, and they never seemed to have any probs gaining acceptance; they made the effort to fit in, to be a useful contributor, and so on.

Integration implies the move towards the general cultural norms of a society, whilst still retaining cultural processes.

Assimilation means the loss of those independent cultural process.

Integration implies the move towards the general cultural norms of a society, whilst still retaining cultural processes.

Assimilation means the loss of those independent cultural process.

EXACTLY

Australia has become the great place it is through integration of immigrants, the english first then the italians, greeks, vietnamese, germans in adelaide, indians etc

Not through assimilation of these cultures but integration. assimilation is a stupid idea, imagine if back then all these waves of immigrants were told they had to leave their culture at the door and assimilate, this would be a much worse off country than it is today

Back