Author/Book suggestions for 12 year old girl

Mine does that too, reads the blurb on the back of the book, decides it is boooooooooooooooring and then goes off to play flash games on the computer (which she isn't going to enjoy much while we're on Telstra wireless cos it is so damn slow - she normally goes through a few gigs in flash games a day when she's home), leaving a stack of perfectly good books unread.

One time when she did that I had to take her computer away until she read the book. It was the first of the Deltorra quest series. Turned out the book was so good she borrowed the entire rest of the series from the library :rolleyes:

I have a child who doesn't like to be challenged. She likes easy, safe things that don't make you think, or doing things that don't require initiative. Drives me nuts. Drives her teachers nuts too.
Does she say, "It looks gay!"

I haven't had that response on books yet but yes, I've had her whine about other stuff being 'gay'.

Usually just get "boring" and "hate" bandied about all the time. I hate this, its boring. I hate stir fry. I hate this, I hate that, its boring, I'm bored, I don't want to do <anything you suggest>, whine whine whine. Then right back to flash games or watching TV. Before we had TV and before she had a computer, she would literally do *nothing* to avoid doing things she didn't want to do.

Spend all my time trying to encourage one child to think for herself and be proactive and work things out for herself rather than giving up so easily, and telling the other one to leave things alone and stop doing things for herself that are supposed to be too hard for 3yos because she'll hurt herself, and then trying to undo damage because the older one constantly underestimates the younger one's ability to do things and hence steal/break her stuff.

Basically my two girls are a fairytale princess and a thief.

You can't win! lol

Thanks Virgo, I try!. I was running out of time at the library and only found Nancy Drew. I couldn't get her past the front cover or the authors name. :rolleyes: I started reading one and before I knew it I was half way through the book. I think she'll like them once she starts. I'm trying a bit of bribery and patience, and will be heading back to the library to try some other suggestions. Actually, I'll make a list of the suggestions and run them past her before taking another trip.
RE - I'm over clutter! Only buy the occasional book to keep.
Thanks everyone!!

i have found that despite my daughter devouring books, she refuses to read anything that was cool "in my day"..... I'm sure if she discovered them herself, she'd read them. But as soon as I suggest them, they are off the list!! ;)

Hi, I have a 14 y.o. girl and just thinking what her favorite books were/are -
- John Marsden's books she has devoured and also great as he is an Australian writer.
- The Hunger Wars series. Absolutely loving these books at present.
- "On the Jellicoe Road" and "Looking for Alibrandi"
- any Louise Rennison books inc. "Withering Tights"
- "Angus, Thongs and prefect Snogging" series. Very, very funny.
- "Sophies World" and other books by this author if a deep thinker.

Have fun. You will want to read some of these books too I feel.

Cheers Meredith.

:eek: Ok she's just showed me her homework book and Twilight is mentioned many times. I haven't been monitoring internet use too much when she's doing homework.

Back