Away again

I've just finished my job. I wasn't getting the opportunity back into IT development which I'd hoped for.

So I'm doing a three month internship, working for a startup developing web applications.

In Medellin, Colombia.

http://www.theinterngroup.com/colombia/

So I need to start swotting up. Some of the development tools they're using. And Spanish, more seriously than before.

An interesting time ahead.

Hi Geoff I thought you were on holidays. I've travelled mucho Colombia but Medellin is one place I haven't been. My wife and I are planning a trip there end of year for new years eve. If your still there we could catch up for un cafe

Hi Geoff I thought you were on holidays. I've travelled mucho Colombia but Medellin is one place I haven't been. My wife and I are planning a trip there end of year for new years eve. If your still there we could catch up for un cafe
My plans are to be there for March, April and May.

I really liked Medellin as a place to live, rather than as a place to visit. It's a vibrant, alive city. It hasn't been so much of a tourist destination in the past- although visitor numbers have increased from about 10,000pa ten years ago to 200,000 now.

01f7f1c.jpg

Subway must seem like a lifetime ago, Geoff.

It certainly does.

I did eight years of Subway working 52 weeks a year, often seven days a week. I never liked the work- I loved my IT work. Unfortunately the job I took to leverage myskef into IT I liked even less, and didn't get any chance to really get into IT. So this is a last ditch attempt to get back into the work I enjoy, while experiencing another way of life in another place.

It certainly does.

I did eight years of Subway working 52 weeks a year, often seven days a week. I never liked the work- I loved my IT work. Unfortunately the job I took to leverage myskef into IT I liked even less, and didn't get any chance to really get into IT. So this is a last ditch attempt to get back into the work I enjoy, while experiencing another way of life in another place.

Just wondering Geoff,what work-entry visa's does one require to work in the country you intend to spend time and also work in ,is there any impediments for Australians going over there to short term work..

A visitor's visa is 90 days.

My visa is sponsored by the organisation. I'm an intern- working for free. It's a matter of getting the experience I need. I pay the sponsoring organisation an amount which covers all accommodation, not food.

Visitor's visa and my visa are both for 90 days. Or you could invest an amount- I think about $US30,000- to get a residency visa.

Working for income would quite possibly not be worth it. Pay rates are much lower than here.

A visitor's visa is 90 days.

My visa is sponsored by the organisation. I'm an intern- working for free. It's a matter of getting the experience I need. I pay the sponsoring organisation an amount which covers all accommodation, not food.

Visitor's visa and my visa are both for 90 days. Or you could invest an amount- I think about $US30,000- to get a residency visa.

Working for income would quite possibly not be worth it. Pay rates are much lower than here.

Thanks Geoff,it's got me interested to have a look at that side of the world
never been there yet,but it's up on the white board now,just stay safe you are starting to live the dream that very few get to do,and I take my hat off to Men who step outside the normal pattern of life and not wear the straightjacket that modern society puts them into..

I wish you can pack me in your suitcase, Geoff.
I can't help you with the programming languages
But I could be the person underneath the table feverishly checking the Spanish-English dictionary and whispering the meanings to you so you can look cool in front of the bosses :D:cool:

Back