Away again

I wish you can pack me in your suitcase, Geoff.
I can't help you with the programming languages
But I could be the person underneath the table feverishly checking the Spanish-English dictionary and whispering the meanings to you so you can look cool in front of the bosses :D:cool:

I'm sure you're experienced at under table whispering ;)

I've just finished my job. I wasn't getting the opportunity back into IT development which I'd hoped for.

So I'm doing a three month internship, working for a startup developing web applications.

In Medellin, Colombia.

http://www.theinterngroup.com/colombia/

So I need to start swotting up. Some of the development tools they're using. And Spanish, more seriously than before.

An interesting time ahead.

Geoff, if you don't mind speaking publicly, why this significant change in work.

Why leave the subway franchise business? (honestly if can)
Jump back to IT, then sub-jump within IT?

IV

The business was a big workload. I wasn't that good at it, and as a result, couldn't get a manager to run it for me. I was in the business full time, eight years without any time off. We did ok by selling- largely because the very large and very expensive loan was almost paid off when we finished.

I used to be in IT development, which I wanted to get back into. The job I got was telephone technical support, which I didn't like at all- especially angry clients. I had a chance to do some development work, which I really enjoyed, but just in Excel VBA which is a limited field, and the first priority was always the phones.

The new job is web development for a startup. There's four people in the company. It involves a number of web technologies which will be good to learn and practice. Along with the Spanish language. I'm hoping tha having some experience will count for something when I return. I really would like to finish my working life doing something I like.

IV

The business was a big workload. I wasn't that good at it, and as a result, couldn't get a manager to run it for me. I was in the business full time, eight years without any time off. We did ok by selling- largely because the very large and very expensive loan was almost paid off when we finished.

. I really would like to finish my working life doing something I like.

Thanks.

Could it be that you WERE ok with it, but had trouble finding the right manager to manage both the business and the entrusted capital that you had invested in the business.

At the right level of remuneration that was suitable for the profitability of your type of business, without government stipulated rates.

I mention this because since the time of joining this forum, there has never been an inkling that you were in any way a 'bad boss' or 'bad manager'.

So could it have been the 'system', that prevented Geoff, from shining.
(Not the franchise system).

No response requested, I understand, and this is a public forum.

Please don't comment further.

Back