Back pain

Hi all

I've been experiencing lower back pain for months now. It used to come and go but now it only comes. I went to the docs and a chiro who I thought fixed it but it came back within a few days. He basically said to keep my back and spine arched and never to bend with my back, it was doing well but seems to have faded. He also said I have Interverted disc pain whatever that is

Anyone had the same and managed to get over it? I'm only young and really would hate to have it all my life, I can only imagine it getting worse over time

Hi all

I've been experiencing lower back pain for months now. It used to come and go but now it only comes. I went to the docs and a chiro who I thought fixed it but it came back within a few days. He basically said to keep my back and spine arched and never to bend with my back, it was doing well but seems to have faded. He also said I have Interverted disc pain whatever that is

Anyone had the same and managed to get over it? I'm only young and really would hate to have it all my life, I can only imagine it getting worse over time

Mate go see a Osteo. You need someone that will stretch and massage the area rather than a quick 'crack'. Worked for me.

Hi investor2009,

Back pain is a right PIA.

I pulled my back out while moving a few months back and as i drive for a living it was

excruciating to say the least.

It got better after a few weeks and then i pulled it out again while doin some major

gardening.

Anyway it's now gone again.

Never experienced back pain in my life and i'm in my 40's...

Anyhow hope your back get's better,rest and don't do anything strenuous.

When your back is better,maybe try some lube up exercises and lift objects properly.

Cheers Spades.

Have had a lot of back pain over many years due to various things.

Footy, athletics, competitive weightlifting.

Virtually pain free now though.

You need to find out exactly what is causing it.

I used good sports physios. Don't go to just a normal physio.

Find out who the best elite amateur sports people use and go to them.

Hi all

Hi,
The first and best thing you could do is go to doctors and request a MRI or CT scan this will tell you the real problem that may be happening,I thought I knew better and just kept on going but it has been 3 years since injury,2years ago had to have surgery and have not worked since,trting to move forward but difficult really get it checked out do not let doctor change mind.
Macca446

Tks guys.

Im actually on workers comp..! By order of safety officer. She took me to docs. I have "final" appointment booked tomorrow. Doc thinks I should be fine by then. Would love to be paid to sit at home but I don't know if that'll happen. I'll just be honest tomorrow and tell him it's still just as bad. See what happens. I don't want to lose my job though.. Hope that doesn't happen

For now they pay me to go to docs and for doc fees but thats been all

I bought a hot wheat bag earlier. Didnt seem to do anything though

I been through this for years.

Fully agree to get the MRI and CAT scan to find the actual problem. That was a turning point for me. From being classified as generalised sore back to an actual issue at specific locations really changed the way I was treated.

If you do have a serious problem then the sooner you realise nothing helps the better. I tried everything, believing I should fight it. But you can't. Accepting that you have a chronic pain condition was a turning point for me. Then you can design your life around it.

I'm probably being too serious for what in all likelihood is a temporary condition. But in case it isn't, make sure you get investigated properly.

Please contact me if I can be of any help to you at all.

Currently going through this as well, buldged l5 disk that has seen me go from 200k pw bike, 30k run to zero but some walking. If you rely on exercise for meditation and feel good chemicals this can be a problem. With the prescribed inflams, pain and no exercise it can make you quite depressed - well it has for me.
I got better but went back to too much stuff like yourself. That was my mistake.

Tks guys.

Im actually on workers comp..! By order of safety officer. She took me to docs. I have "final" appointment booked tomorrow. Doc thinks I should be fine by then. Would love to be paid to sit at home but I don't know if that'll happen. I'll just be honest tomorrow and tell him it's still just as bad. See what happens. I don't want to lose my job though.. Hope that doesn't happen

For now they pay me to go to docs and for doc fees but thats been all

I bought a hot wheat bag earlier. Didnt seem to do anything though

If you are on workers comp you already have a target on your head, look out.

I second the sports physio and Blackmores Lyprinol. I take 4 a day and they really help - made from the green lipped mussel.

I managed to injure 2 discs when renovating. I was on my own and couldn't move...excrutiating pain...I crawled to the car and got to a sports physio asap but she couldn't work on it until the inflammation was gone. I refuse to take anti-inflammatories but got on to the Lyprinol and within days she was able to work on my back. It took a few weeks but eased every week until the pain was all gone.

Hope you find something to help soon

Chris

If on workers comp. then you should be paid your wage and entitlements. You should not be "targetted" bullied or intimidated . New workplace anti bullying laws commenced 1 January. Speak to your union rep. Hope your back heals quickly. My back injury healed and Ive been 100% for years....touch wood.

Yea thats what my bosses said too. Luckily I don't quite care as much as most would. I figure I did the right thing. As the meetings say I should, its just the bosses don't like it and even tried bullying me for reporting it. Im past the point of relying on a job though so good for them whatever happens, happens I've always been a fighter, maybe you can take something of value away for yourself?

If you are on workers comp you already have a target on your head, look out.

If you've had this for months (how many?) and you have associated leg (sciatic) pain, then I would have your GP arrange a fine slice CT scan.

If there is no leg pain and the pain is mechanical (better with laying down and worse with static standing or sitting), and you are not really much improved then it may be time to have an MRI.

You should see a decent musculoskeletal physiotherapist and have a tangible diagnosis. Chronic (as distinct to acute) lower back pain tends to do better with active rest, pacing activities, etc., rather that total rest which should be reserved for very acute conditions or severe flare ups and on a limited basis.

Have you been given exercises by the chiropractor? If so, have they helped or hindered and caused more exacerbation of your pain?
What medication are you on? Any side effects?

I can't comment on the worker's compensation system of your location. Most states/territories are different and rightly so, because a nation of barely 25 million needs half a dozen different systems :rolleyes: :( and a variety of Occupational Health and Safety (Management) systems to confuse and complicate and justify the paper trail and over governance that we have with states here in Australia.

Get this sorted as quickly as you can, by actually getting a diagnosis and a specific tailored treatment plan.

Good luck :)

I work as an Osteopath, my suggestions is firstly to make sure the diagnosis is accurate. The diagnosis you have been given is not a standard diagnosis. I would want to know is it the disc, ligaments, muscles, facet joints, fascia etc. Then I would want to look at the why. Do you need to work on the strength of your abdominals and gluts, do you have poor motor firing patterns where you over activate your low back musculature or hamstrings for example. To assist with having your symptoms not return these things will need to be addressed regardless of your diagnosis as it will help reduce stress on certain structures.
Good luck in finding out what is causing your pain.

Thanks so much everybody, really appreciate your help

I've been having this pain on and off for months, even years but slowly worstening which has led me to here. Been in severe pain all weekend and today. I'm currently at work and had to lie down an hour ago it was so bad. I could barely wait to see the doc this afternoon and tell him I'm finding it hard to function, even said a little prayer. I then forced myself up ready for the usual pain and.. Nothing. The pain has pretty well dissapeared again. I can feel it's on the verge of reoccuring again though

The Physio tested my hamstrings at last appointment and they only go to 70% instead of the normal 80 for my age (33) he also told me to push my buttocks out and arch my back all the time and I was good for a few days up until it returned, now gone again I feel laying on the concrete has allowed the pinch to be released for the mean time but my question is: why does it keep returning?

Will keep you posted after the appointment

Last edited:
If on workers comp. then you should be paid your wage and entitlements. You should not be "targetted" bullied or intimidated . New workplace anti bullying laws commenced 1 January. Speak to your union rep. Hope your back heals quickly. My back injury healed and Ive been 100% for years....touch wood.

You have to look at it from the employers point of view too. Workers comp is extremely unfair on business. It's become a pig trough for workers, union reps, doctors and solicitors and nothing more sadly. Hence when someone goes on workers comp they are pretty much gauranteed to be in the bosses sights.

You want a fairer system? What about this - All employee's should have to pay their own workers comp premiums ala car insurance, health insurance, etc. Claims would drop overnight if workers were faced with a higher premium the next year. Many would think twice before lodging a claim...

You have to look at it from the employers point of view too. Workers comp is extremely unfair on business. It's become a pig trough for workers, union reps, doctors and solicitors and nothing more sadly. Hence when someone goes on workers comp they are pretty much gauranteed to be in the bosses sights.

You want a fairer system? What about this - All employee's should have to pay their own workers comp premiums ala car insurance, health insurance, etc. Claims would drop overnight if workers were faced with a higher premium the next year. Many would think twice before lodging a claim...

Or would try and work through the pain because they can't afford to pay a higher premium next year. So they ignore that niggle in their back which is actually the beginnings of a chronic problem, until one day they twist the wrong way, slip a disk, can't work at all. Quality of life suffers massively, just because they thought it was nothing and the budget was too tight to risk a big bump in premiums.

Or would try and work through the pain because they can't afford to pay a higher premium next year. So they ignore that niggle in their back which is actually the beginnings of a chronic problem, until one day they twist the wrong way, slip a disk, can't work at all. Quality of life suffers massively, just because they thought it was nothing and the budget was too tight to risk a big bump in premiums.

Darwins theory in action surely? lol

Who says the worker has to pay it themselves? Make it like super, deduct XX from their pay every week. If they make a claim, the premium goes up and more gets deducted next year.

The savings to business and government. Im telling you, MASSIVE. No one would have the balls to make a change like that unfortunantly.

Back