Backflow prevention device test

Hi Guys,

A relative of mine has a commercial property leased to a child care centre.

Recently he received a letter from SA Water saying the Backflow Prevention Device is required to be tested by a licensed tester before 10th Aug 2007.

Does anyone know what Backflow Prevention Device is??? Who should he find? And what sort of cost would that be?

There is a non return valve installed in the end of the water meter.
Its there to prevent people pumping with bores into the mains line if a valve fails.

Never heard of it being tested and always considered it part of the water meter myself.

Here on the central coast backflows are installed by council if you have
an approved rain water tank.
Is part of the inbuilt meter, looks as big as the old one when replaced.

Hi Guys,

A relative of mine has a commercial property leased to a child care centre.

Recently he received a letter from SA Water saying the Backflow Prevention Device is required to be tested by a licensed tester before 10th Aug 2007.

Does anyone know what Backflow Prevention Device is??? Who should he find? And what sort of cost would that be?

We had a backflow valve put in this year when our water tank was installed. It stops water from the tank or our swimming pool flowing backwards into the mains water system and "fouling" it. The appliance was put in by our plumber for approx $170. It was simply a small connection put inline with 2 plastic valves inside which allow the water to flow in one direction only.:)

Shows how different states can be. WA its installed by default with the meter and only the Water Corp is supposed to touch it.

Had a lot of trouble with one restricting flow a few years back.

A backflow prevention device is used to protect water supplies from contamination or pollution. Only licensed plumbers can install, commission and test backflow prevention devices. This has been the case for many years but it never seemed to happen. Recently they have began to enforce this a bit more rigorously. They need to be tested yearly. Not sure how much they are charging these days.... I would hazard a guess to be about $120- to test each valve and then more if a kit needs to be put through it if it fails.

Being cynical, if the date is as stated then it is wrong (Ie. backdated to 10th Aug 2007) hence, nothing is "required" unless they fix that error.

Being socially responsible, I would just put one in as a good faith gesture & wait for the next later to arrive.

Back