Bali kid

Yea i agree with the OP, a lot of people that i know a lot of people tat seem to think that the Indonesian system is "barbaric" etc and the lack of juvenile facilities. I still remember when i was 12 and i went overseas to Singapore my parents telling me about making sure that i didn't chew the gum i had on me while i was in the country (which at the time i thought was ridiculous). Im not saying gum is akin to marijuana i am just saying people need to quit thinking that people that age don't know the difference between right and wrong. Their have been two incidences of 14yrs stabbing people in once case killing people this year alone that i know of, don't tell me because of their young age they didn't know that's wrong. End of the day who cares if its "harmless" or not, everyone knows the police in Bali don't take to kindly to people buying/possessing drugs. For the past 5 or 6 years its been pretty well known and their a sovereign nation, and thus entitled to treat dealers/users as harshly as they please.

Last edited:
Yea i agree with the OP, a lot of people that i know a lot of people tat seem to think that the Indonesian system is "barbaric" etc and the lack of juvenile facilities. I still remember when i was 12 and i went overseas to Singapore my parents telling me about making sure that i didn't chew the gum i had on me while i was in the country (which at the time i thought was ridiculous). Im not saying gum is akin to marijuana i am just saying people need to quit thinking that people that age don't know the difference between right and wrong. Their have been two incidences of 14yrs stabbing people in once case killing people this year alone that i know of, don't tell me because of their young age they didn't know that's wrong. End of the day who cares if its "harmless" or not, everyone knows the police in Bali don't take to kindly to people buying/possessing drugs. For the past 5 or 6 years its been pretty well known and their a sovereign country, and thus entitled to treat dealers/users as harshly as they please.

You must of never done wrong, especially when you were a teen... :)

Marijuana should of been legalised a LONG time ago, and I don't even smoke it.
Maybe ring up Bob Brown,as he is in control and ask him to legalise the green smoko in Australia all the money wasted over the years,plus the billions in tax,..
As with the young man in bali,who's to say he was not buying it for his parents,he just made a mistake,.and a very serious because money talks
in that whole country..

Yeah but the person in question is a child.
So what? It is the law of that country
Cant do the time, don't do the crime
They are coming down on him like on a dealer, not a user.
Are they?

Group 1 drugs are viewed by the Indonesian government as therapeutically useless with a high potential for causing addiction. Group 1 drugs merit the weightiest sentences - life imprisonment for possession, and the death penalty for convicted drug traffickers.

Possession is punishable by 4 to 12 years' imprisonment, and fines of IDR 800 million to 8 billion (US$89,600 to US$896,000). If the drugs exceed 1 kilogram (for raw drugs like cannabis and coca leaves) or 5 grams (for processed drugs like heroin and cocaine), a maximum punishment of life imprisonment may be imposed.

Trafficking is punishable by 5 to 15 years' imprisonment and fines of IDR one billion to ten billion (US$112,000 to US$1.2 million). If the volume of drugs exceeds 1 kilogram (for raw drugs) or 5 grams (for processed drugs), the death penalty may be imposed.

Drugs in Group 1, a partial list: heroin, cocaine, marijuana, hashish, mescaline, MDMA (ecstasy), psilocybin, mescaline, LSD, amphetamine, methamphetamine, opium and its derivatives

Looks to me he is getting off light.

Been to Bali 6 times.

Never had an issue. Never had all these problems or dramatic experiences everyone talks about. Pros, hawkers, drug dealers on every corner.......

Just like any other place has its good and bad parts, even that dear old Australia of ours.

You are in another country. Respect the lifestyle, their choices etc etc.

He's 14. More than likely knew what he was doing. Kids are well aware these days. If he wasnt, parents weren't planned/ready for him going overseas he shouldnt have been there in the first place.

The self righteousness in this thread is making me ill. :rolleyes:

Get over it, the parents are now saying he's a drug user to get a more lenient punishment i was that age not to long ago and have cousins that age now believe me they are smart enough to know whats wrong and whats right. Regardless if the parents were knew that he had issues with drugs shouldn't they have kept more of an eye on him? and made it clear that buying drugs in Bali could get him in some pretty serious trouble? Even an idiot knows not to do anything stupid in a country that has a death sentence, and has no issue with using it.

Last edited:
Do you think everyone is like you and your cousins?

As for the parents. Well, should have, would have....its all speculation...have you had kids yourself?

Get over it, the parents are now saying he's a drug user to get a more lenient punishment i was that age not to long ago and have cousins that age now believe me they are smart enough to know whats wrong and whats right. Regardless if the parents were knew that he had issues with drugs shouldn't they have kept more of an eye on him? and made it clear that buying drugs in Bali could get him in some pretty serious trouble? Even an idiot knows not to do anything stupid in a country that has a death sentence, and has no issue with using it.

Do you think everyone is like you and your cousins?

As for the parents. Well, should have, would have....its all speculation...have you had kids yourself?

As i already explained in an earlier post when i was his age i did get in trouble at school and with the police. But even at that age and when i was younger i knew that other countries were not as tolerant as Aust, like my example earlier about me visiting Singapore when i was 12. But no i don't have kids (im 22) but even my parents have said if his parents knew that he had issues with drugs. They would have defiantly known about how easy it is to acquire drugs in Bali (due to the extensive media coverage over the years) then it would seem obvious to keep more an eye on him. My friends and i have discuessed it and the majority think the kid knew what he was doing although some disagree and think the the police are been to harsh. Unsurprisingly these friends are the ones who do take drugs occasionally and the same one thinking of visiting Bali/Thailand.

Last edited:
1. You don't know the full story
2. Marijuana has never killed a soul3. If this kid was caught with 4 grams of weed in Australia or US or Europe he would have got a caution, not even a fine.

Asian countries have really evil laws towards drugs, especially when minors and minor quantities are involved.

We are not talking about heroin or meth here, it's a natural plant.
Marijuana should of been legalised a LONG time ago, and I don't even smoke it.

It is not called dope for nothing.
Marijuana does so kill, otherwise it wouldn't be illegal to smoke while driving.People lose their license all on the time on RBT.

Nobody wants to see a 14 yr old serve 12 years for possession.
Bali has rules, and need to be followed.
Does this government come to the aid of everyone who is charged, or just the ones who make it to the media?

It is because when you are 14 years old, you have not developed a proper sense of what is right or wrong. That is why it is difficult to put the full blame on a child just because he admitted to it.

In Australia police charge youths with possession of drugs too, is that not all that's happened here ? I have never heard anyone wanting to help these kids escape these sentences....in fact I hear a lot of people whinging about hte ucurrent geneartion of teens etc having it too easy and that we shoudl be toughter on their transgressions....

The law in Perth is that if you get caught with 3 grams, you do not get let off, in fact, theyv'e just made the law stronger... :eek: let's not exaggarate

Where did the 12 year sentence figure come from though ? Is it actualyl real or part of the hysteria ? I thought I heard a much shorter term being touted.

Is everyone, but me, wanting to help the 14 yr old teenager in Bali?

Why is the Australian gov't trying to help someone who confesses to buying illegal drugs in another country, where they know of the harsh court sentences?

I just shake my head when I watch all this crap on tv.
They should concentrate on more deserving people.

i think you're being a bit of a hard-a.r.s.e.

the drugs were pretty much pushed into his hands with "you pay later, later! i find you". when you're surround by pushy javanese in Bali, it's not nice when it's 3 pairs of sunnies, let a long a bag of hashish.

now remove your "only comes with age and experience" sense and sensibility.

the people reporting the drug find get a nice kickback "reward".

It is not called dope for nothing.
Marijuana does so kill, otherwise it wouldn't be illegal to smoke while driving.People lose their license all on the time on RBT.

no, the crashed car kills because of your impaied judgement, not the mary jane. the netherlands have blanket 80kph speedlimits for a reason.

get your facts straight before stepping up on the soapbox.

i think you're being a bit of a hard-a.r.s.e.

the drugs were pretty much pushed into his hands with "you pay later, later! i find you". when you're surround by pushy javanese in Bali, it's not nice when it's 3 pairs of sunnies, let a long a bag of hashish.

the people reporting the drug find get a nice kickback "reward".

Not from the report I heard.
He was bragging to the massage girl about his score.
He paid for it upfront.

I don't think I am a hard-a.r.s.e.
I just have a well defined idea of right and wrong, and fair and unfair.

Not from the report I heard.
He was bragging to the massage girl about his score.
He paid for it upfront.

I don't think I am a hard-a.r.s.e.
I just have a well defined idea of right and wrong, and fair and unfair.

Even hard ares is a subjective not objective definition

But I heard the exact same thinG you heard kathryn.

If a 14 yr old kid was walking down murray st mall (1 of 2 shoppnig malls in Perth CBD) shooting his mouth off about the pot he just scored, what does anyone think would happen to him ?

Don't waNt to be subject to Indonesia's (s called) unfair drug rules ? don't be sop stupid as to go scoring drugs and running your mouth off... what's bali meant to do now. say oh yeah don't worry about, he is an Australian afterall :confused: After all the whinging people do so vocally about migrants etc who come here & don't respect our laws, I think some are being a tad hypocritical

I dont want to see a 14 yr old do years and years in prison either, but I can't see what is supposed to happen except due process...

Last edited:
Back