• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to see our drug offense penalties tripled, quadrupled, even ten-fold...then folks might start to stop.
This has been proven not to work, the USA in particular has completely failed with this approach.

Whats the difference between a heroin producer and trafficker and a whisky producer and distributor ? Not much, expect the latter kills more and gets accolades, and the former gets the death sentence. Ridiculous.

I would hope that if Indonesia commits this crime then Australia's response will be somewhat more forceful than Brasil and Holland (recalling the ambassador). Booting out the Indonesian ambassador and cutting some trade and security links would be a good start, something that makes headlines.

I don't agree with the death penalty but I do think we should respect the laws of the local area.

Just because you are an Australian doesn't mean you can do whatever you feel like in other countries.

Yes they might of reformed and I do believe they have but if they didn't get caught they would be still making lots of money from other peoples misfortune.

If I went to Bali smuggling drugs into their country then I would also face the same penality. If they are not in front of the firing squad all you are doing is saying oh if you are from Australia you can smuggle drugs into our country and the locals will question there is a law for us and a law for other countries which are lesser?

How would we like it if someone came to our country killed 20 people and then get a first class ticket out of the country because we have to have lesser punishment for outsiders.

Everyone should be treated equally in the country of breaking the law.

I don't agree with the death penalty but I do think we should respect the laws of the local area.

Just because you are an Australian doesn't mean you can do whatever you feel like in other countries.

Yes they might of reformed and I do believe they have but if they didn't get caught they would be still making lots of money from other peoples misfortune.

If I went to Bali smuggling drugs into their country then I would also face the same penality. If they are not in front of the firing squad all you are doing is saying oh if you are from Australia you can smuggle drugs into our country and the locals will question there is a law for us and a law for other countries which are lesser?

How would we like it if someone came to our country killed 20 people and then get a first class ticket out of the country because we have to have lesser punishment for outsiders.

Everyone should be treated equally in the country of breaking the law.

Its because we have a entitlement or arrogance factor about us (wherher conscious or not). We thibk we are developed, they are third world, therefore we know better

Im guilty of this too

And yes. Imagine the uprise if indonesia were complaining about our laws after a national broke a law here

I would hope that if Indonesia commits this crime then Australia's response will be somewhat more forceful than Brasil and Holland (recalling the ambassador). Booting out the Indonesian ambassador and cutting some trade and security links would be a good start, something that makes headlines.

headlines for stupidity perhaps

One. Performing Capital Punishment in a country whose government uses it as a part of their justice system is not the same thing as committing a crime.

Two. You want to personally invite the Indonesians to invade Australia? Haven't you heard a single word the RSL has been bleating on about for the past thirty years. It is in our best interests, I would think, to not offend the Indonesians. I'm not into defending the racism of the RSL, but they do have a point regarding the likelihood of our northern neighbours coveting our land.

Indonesia never executed that smart alec buck toothed terrorist preacher from several years ago. He's free now. So there is no consistency. Let them go home. They have done their time already.

One. Performing Capital Punishment in a country whose government uses it as a part of their justice system is not the same thing as committing a crime.
It?s a moral crime, a crime against humanity.
Two. You want to personally invite the Indonesians to invade Australia? Haven't you heard a single word the RSL has been bleating on about for the past thirty years. It is in our best interests, I would think, to not offend the Indonesians.
In this unlikely event I think the US would have our back pretty quickly. A Muslim (current paranoia) nation invading one of their top allies? They?d be here faster than you can say "shock and awe"

"We" don't have the death sentence. Indonesia does.

When in Rome.

The holocaust was legal, slavery was legal, segregation was legal. Capital punishment is still legal in some backward places. If you use governments as a metric for ethics you'll end up disappointed.

Reactions: MTR
The holocaust was legal, slavery was legal, segregation was legal. Capital punishment is still legal in some backward places. If you use governments as a metric for ethics you'll end up disappointed.

Doesn't mean we agree with those laws. I used to be very agitated about such things but I've learned to save my anxieties for things that I can affect, and leave alone the things that I cant. It reduces my stress levels immensely.

Have a nice day everyone :)

It?s a moral crime, a crime against humanity.

So is smuggling hard drugs that ruin & take many more lives.

The appropriateness of punishment is the factor.
Indo still believe in and abide by capital punishment.

Dont smuggle drugs into or out of Indonesia and you wont be punished under their harsh laws. Simple.

I have no sympathy for drug smugglers whether they be australian, indonesian or whatever. Especially those who choose to take on these harsh law countries.

They stood to make a killing (in more ways than one).

If they got away with it, what happens?

Dont smuggle drugs into or out of Indonesia and you wont be punished under their harsh laws. Simple.

I have no sympathy for drug smugglers whether they be australian, indonesian or whatever. Especially those who choose to take on these harsh law countries.

Precisely this. Now that they've been deemed guilty, you face whatever punishment that jurisdiction dictates. End of story really.

im not disagreeing you with at all, but food for thought question,

if you were a woman and went to afghanistan or saudi arabia for example, and got the death penalty for not wearing the right clothes or walking down the street alone with a male,

would you be reacting the same?

im not disagreeing you with at all, but food for thought question,

if you were a woman and went to afghanistan or saudi arabia for example, and got the death penalty for not wearing the right clothes or walking down the street alone with a male,

would you be reacting the same?

And there are the exact reasons why I would never go to Afghanistan, I can't understand laws like that. So, it's simple really, if you don't like the laws of a country, don't go there!!!

And there are the exact reasons why I would never go to Afghanistan, I can't understand laws like that. So, it's simple really, if you don't like the laws of a country, don't go there!!!
Correct.

If the law of a Country includes dying as a penalty for drug trafficking; that would send me a message that I won't do any via that Country.

They took a massive risk, and failed.

Back