Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't agree with the death penalty.

That said, drug trafficking is not a mistake. Running over a dog with your car is a mistake. When you traffic drugs, you mean to do it.

AFP/govt now have alot of explaining to do re passing information to a country that has the death penalty.

Govt could have easily prevented all this but they took a punt.....and lost. They didn't care because it wasn't their loved ones.

All this talk of the Bali 9 or Bali 2 etc reminds me of the old joke: a guy walks into a pub in Ireland and decides to strike up a conversation with the barman. The chat soon turns to cars. He asks the barman "what do you think of the Renault 5?" Barman responds, "they're innocent!".

"'I made one mistake, why is this happening to me?'"

this was the guy with 6kg of heroin, trafficking it thru a country that openly executes traffickers? yes he certainly made a mistake. I think this bloke claimed to have mental issues tho, so could be an out there.

AFP/govt now have alot of explaining to do re passing information to a country that has the death penalty.

Govt could have easily prevented all this but they took a punt.....and lost. They didn't care because it wasn't their loved ones.
It might be a dirty thing to dp, but I still think the drug mules are 100% to blame.
They didn't consider their own loved ones either.

Reactions: BV

the bali 2 didn't care either... took the names of their bosses to the grave. didn't care about anyone but their immediate interests.

sorry what do you mean.,.. what is a root of a corpse?

oh.... route?

wow, for real?

so what was the point of all those images of fancy crosses?

yeah sorry route, not root. phone spelling :D

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/b...myuran-sukumaran/story-fnh81fz8-1227329235572

news.com.au has a nasty habit of constantly changing their articles so i can't find the one, but one of them had picture of the route of the bodies, and detailed steps of what will happen to them

next time I go, I probably wont do it,because even though im not going to get executed for mushrooms,

You would go there again ? crazy. Minimum term for mushrooms is 4 years, or maybe they'll execute you later when they "review the case". One of guys executed this week only had 50g of heroin, another was dubiously accused of planning to sell marijuana, his friends who brought the stuff to his house out of prison already, I wonder who they paid.

Meanwhile the biggest killer drug of them all in Indonesia, tobacco, is sold to kids outside schools and kills 500 people a day.

Reactions: NPB
Its not the fact that its punishabke by death its the fact that they are extrenely strict with it

If the penalties for speeding were ten folded. Id defnitely not speed. At the moment i speed every now and again

They are not extremely strict with drugs they are extremely corrupt with drugs.

You can't walk 5m in parts of Bali without being offered every drug under the sun. That has been going on for decades, every body knows about it, if they were strict that would be cleaned up. It's all about collecting bribery money.

Indonesia is a highway for drugs from Asia into Australia , killing these two is a warning to others other from the major cartel in town ( The Govt) pay your "licence" fees or suffer the consequences. Preventing the trafficking of drugs has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The way the Aust Gov't went about the negotiations could only end in one result, terribly handled. It's all about saving face, once we mentioned the aid and got their backs up these two were as good as dead. If we had kept quite paid some more "aid" and let them take the high moral ground they would still be alive.

First off I don't agree with the death penalty for drug traffickers (I think it should be reserved for mass murderers and pedophiles) and the whole case is sad. However, it was ultimately the Bali 9 who sealed their own fate with their decision to do it. Renae Lawrence even said in an inquest that they'd done previous runs before. Chan was also allegedly behind a Hong Kong heroin bust days before the Bali bust, which ended up leaving a 15 year old boy and 17 year old girl in prison facing 10+ year sentences.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-year-old-mule-Hong-Kong-jail-mouth-shut.html

Going back to the situation though. In regards to Scott Rush's dad he should never have gone to the police. If he had concerns about his sons welfare he should've dealt directly with his son. When it comes to police never be deceived by promises of anonymity, protection or rewards. They will do or say anything to get information out of you and after they have what they want your problems are no longer their concerns.

The AFP involvement was understandable since in their mind they are taking the benefit of society over the benefit of an individual and looking after the greater good. If they swooped on Rush the whole case would've been crushed and at best all they would get is a conspiracy charge. Meanwhile Chan and co. would just be out planning their next runs anyway and bringing in more heroin to the country. The AFP were just following best practices from other intelligence agencies across the world so to blame the AFP is clutching at straws.

It's a tragedy and it's sad that people get caught up in that lifestyle. To Andrew and Myu's credit they seemed to have rehabilitated and did the best they could to reform other people's lives as well. If it was up to me they wouldn't have been executed. RIP.

The way the Aust Gov't went about the negotiations could only end in one result, terribly handled. It's all about saving face, once we mentioned the aid and got their backs up these two were as good as dead. If we had kept quite paid some more "aid" and let them take the high moral ground they would still be alive.
Completely disagree.

The Gubb was using every possible option to try and save these boys' lives.

The reminder of the aid was but one in probably hundreds of attempts - right up until the last hour.

That disgraceful ad where all those actors and celebrities were slagging Tony Abbott for not doing more...:rolleyes: no doubt hand-picked Lefties. Cheap and disgraceful shot.

The damage was done at sentencing - that was when the Gubb should have gone as hard as they possibly could to reduce it, and then further damage done by Widodo, who was openly stating as part of his campaign to become Pres that he was going to get tougher.

His mind was closed from day one.

We are all forgetting that 5 others (one other was saved after an 11th hour admission by the real offender) were also executed at the same time.

We keep thinking it is all about our two boys and a slight against Australia - they (Widodo) couldn't care less.

We Aussies need to get over ourselves a bit in terms of how important we think we are on the world stage.

It amazes me how all through History we keep seeing these sorts of people (Widodo) popping up as heads of a particular Country. He is a disgrace (as are a few others who are leaders in other Countries who support the death Penalty, and gleefully enforce it).

We really are a stupid species.

Not to say l agree with a death penalty , although in some cases yeah l think it's a good idea .
But l did think it was pretty sad for these guys after already doing 10yrs and going through the wait, courts , crap after crap.
Taking their age into it at the time of it , personally l reckon it was def' way too heavy handed after all that.

But the way l see it to is , that is their laws and knowing that if you still go ahead and do the crime then you gonna get the time .
No use crying just bc they were Australian , so what , who gives a damn, no different to anyone else.

And of all the worthwhile band wagons and people in trouble out there , people in real need of some gov intervention our idiot gov pretends to jump on , they choose drug smugglers , go figure .

Anybody would think they were war hero's or something.

Back