Ballad of a landlord .. Rant

Thanks Sez, Wylie and Hobo.

I have repainted the walls in cream colours overall.
The kitchen in the photos is the old one. I have renovated the kitchen along with the flooring.

I have asked the PM to change the price and update photos with new description.

:eek: Why would your PM use old photos? That's crazy.

:eek: Why would your PM use old photos? That's crazy.

In their defence, I was renovating and had the house on market at the same time, so had the older photos up.

I have asked them to put new photos now, update the description and do follow up calls.

The old photos no doubt have been doing the property a disservice. Hopefully once they are changed you notice an increase in interest in the property. Good luck!

I think professional photos are a must.
Its a small investment and you can reuse them over and over again.

Those pics you have aren't that appealing - random paint tins, some black wire streaking along the floor etc.

If the professional photos help a place get rented out a few days quicker, you're in an even position.

I think professional photos are a must.
Its a small investment and you can reuse them over and over again.

Those pics you have aren't that appealing - random paint tins, some black wire streaking along the floor etc.

If the professional photos help a place get rented out a few days quicker, you're in an even position.

Mumbai
Are you or your PM able to go in and just take some better photos (minus the cans of paint, black cord on the floor etc). All you need is a good camera phone.
Not sure if it will affect the rent or if anyone else has noticed, but the curtains are unattractive.

Nice house by the way. Good bones. Is it double brick? Some of the others in girraween seem to by plywood or weatherboard.

Would it be a good strategy to put '$430 neg' in the ad?
I don't know the area too well, but in the trendy suburbs in Sydney, it's common for tenants to offer more or less than what's stated in the ad.

Two open homes in two days. Just one person came in.
I should probably sell the house :(

Sure ill buy it. :)
Give you top price too
$300k thats my final offer :p

Seriously, your photos suck. Get better photos.
And not photos with your camera phone.

Good photos can help attract more tenants. Also taking it off and relisting helps too.

I'm not sure if listing several days in a row is a good thing. My PM only lists for a saturday and does do private inspections if need be. This way more people come in on a single day (thus creating the vibe of competition).

Two open homes in two days. Just one person came in.
I should probably sell the house :(
:eek:
Have you tried the suggestions above? Will there be enough profit to justify the sale?
How about taking the listing down, take professional photographer and realist it with a firm price?
I'm not sure about Girraween, but been living in Sydney for a while and I will not touch a unit that tell me offer rent above a certain amount, especially when there are others around with firm price (so I don't need to bid bid bid against other people.

It has a firm price now and open homes were after that change.
New photos added, but not very pretty.
I still fail to understand how a property in a good location in western Sydney can be vacant for so long.

It has a firm price now and open homes were after that change.
New photos added, but not very pretty.
I still fail to understand how a property in a good location in western Sydney can be vacant for so long.

Its because your photos suck. There is honestly nothing appealing about it. The kitchen looks old and small.

What may look large in person isn't always reflected in photos (especially poorly taken ones).

Most people do not have the spatial ability to see past what is in a photo.

You have a Listing for Sat, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat.... kinda sounds a bit desperate to me. Also if I'm the only person looking at an open house, why would I put my application in when i probably think it will still be there after I've looked at all my other options.

Are other properties in girraween slow-moving as well?
Is it just a slow-moving suburb?

How about dropping the rent by $20?

Others have said that, for whatever reason, the place just isn't well-presented in the pics.
Check out this reno by waz83. I think the photos were standard camera phone photos as well. But the property looks really "nice".
https://picasaweb.google.com/112056778690726563231/DrummondStBeforeAfter?feat=email
So, as others have suggested, maybe get pro photos and go the whole hog - best time of day for lighting, fish eye lens, wide-angle lens etc.

Pics of my sisters unit.
Pics used by the selling agent and Pics by professional photography (post reno).
But you can see the difference in just the pic of the outside block. Roughly same angle.

Actual kitchen size: 3.2 wide x 3.5 deep

Attachments

• 20405608_4.JPG
    20405608_4.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 21695693_1.JPG
    21695693_1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20405608_1.JPG
    20405608_1.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 21695693_3.JPG
    21695693_3.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 66
Living Room: 3.2 wide x 4.6 deep
Bathroom: 2.4 wide x 1.7 deep
Bedroom 3.3 x 3x3

Attachments

• 20405608_2.JPG
    20405608_2.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 21695693_2.JPG
    21695693_2.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20405608_3.JPG
    20405608_3.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 21695693_4.JPG
    21695693_4.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 21695693_5.JPG
    21695693_5.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 53
Actually the photos aren't that nice at all.
Its simply because the place has been done up decently.

The cost my PM charges is $129 for 5 photos. Money well spent i reckon.

Are you sister's place's pics pro pics?

Theroretically, shouldn't the OP's place have been done up just as nicely?

I think it's the lighting. The OP took the photos at a bad time of day. It makes the house look dark.

I once took some pics at the hottest time of day, when the sun was directly overhead. Is that the worst time of day?

What's the best? Early morning 10-11am?

Are you sister's place's pics pro pics?

Theroretically, shouldn't the OP's place have been done up just as nicely?

I think it's the lighting. The OP took the photos at a bad time of day. It makes the house look dark.

I once took some pics at the hottest time of day, when the sun was directly overhead. Is that the worst time of day?

What's the best? Early morning 10-11am?
Yep, they are pro pics. Cost $129 from the PM.

It probably is the lighting, plus some photoshop and a decent camera (there's a reason DSLR's are more expensive than mobile phones with cameras).

I've got a DSLR and seriously just leaving the settings on full auto and pressing shoot, the photos come up one hell of a lot better than any camera phone or compact camera by far.

If you look at the pic of the building, you'll notice the colours are more vibrant without being overdone.

Thanks Nek.
Reason I asked was I was considering painting my bathroom tiles.
But I don't want to create a never-ending task for myself (paint tiles. paint peels due to moisture. paint again. repeat ad nauseum.) so I'm putting it off until I really need to update my bathroom.
I think Waz38 painted the bathroom tiles. The tub definately was re-surfaced, not new.

Back