Ballpark figure - paint outside of house

Hi, just thinking of getting a 4 bed, rendered, double storey house + 2 car garage repainted, outside only - all outside walls, wooden window frames, eaves, gutters etc.. Eastern Melbourne suburbs. Any ballpark figures on what budget I should plan for? Cheers

Last edited:
Most paint covers 16 square metres (4m x 4m) per liter. For an outdoor rendered surface you'll want a reasonably good quality paint if you want it to last, but you probably won't need a primer. In most cases this means 2 coats.

Figure out the size of the area you're going to paint, so you can calculate how much paint you'll need. This will allow you to determine the cost of the project.

Bunnings has a range of different quality outdoor paints. The really cheap ones will just about wash off at the first sign of rain, but the better quality paints will last for decades. The larger the tin you buy, the more cost effective it becomes, but I've got no idea of the cost of a tin of paint these days.

I'd have it quoted by 3 Painters, and get their opinion on what brands they's be using, how many coats would be required etc.... also ask them how many guys/girls will be doing the job. From a time perspective if it's a one man show you will be paying for it to be done slower than 2 or 3 painters doing the job :)

Holly

I'd go for a top quality paint on the outside - so it lasts.
Different story inside as you may end up painting a lot more often.

thanks everyone for your advice. Scaffolding might be required, so upper range is probably closer to the mark. at least now I have some budgetting figures to play with. SS Forum has the answer to everything!

Back