Bamboo Flooring vs Timber vs Tiles

Hi All,

Would like to know what people think about the Bamboo vs Timber vs Tiles debate for PPOR?

We've started to research and it appears timber is quite expensive, while Bamboo is durable and cheaper...

Tiles are the most durable but I'm thinking they are very "cold" and as described by our broker, "too Bankstown" (Sydney siders would know what this means).

Tiles also come in the timber look. Though I found that bamboo would end up being cheaper than these timber looking tiles..

Keen to know what you guys think and why?

Cheers,

MsAli

We have bamboo in one of our living areas. It's fantastic - we love it. It looks good and is quite durable - we have two kids and two dogs.

I don't know about it being a cheap option though (well I guess it's prob cheaper than timber). From memory, it was around $70 a m2 (without installation).

Just don't get it wet. We've been careful to stay on top of any spills, etc - because apparently it will absorb it quite easily.

For a PPOR I'd go for it - for an IP, I'd stick to good ol' solid tiles.

Cheers

Jamie

Had bamboo put down in our main living/pedestrian areas some eight years ago.
It wasn't cheap but would highly recommend it.
Resistant to everything you can chuck at it,easily maintained and only slightly faded,(easily restored),in one small area around the entrance to the patio area.

I'd avoid tiles. Timber flooring is nice and durable, and bamboo is probably the most hard-wearing of the three options. Go with what you can afford.

I am putting solid blackbutt timber in my PPOR, ripping up the tiles

We have black butt in our current house . Wouldn't go for it again.

Reason . Water stains it blacks , hence the name blackout . We have dogs and while they're relatively house trained , the kids ain't so , if the dogs have an accident and it's missed me you get a nice black stain . If it's superficial they can be sanded out . If not you have to get the floor patched .

If you wash the floor with water , and don't drupe it properly , you get the black staining at the joins ..

By recollection is black butt is one of the cheaper options in timber . Next time we will go for something different , after further investigations

Cliff

Bamboo

Bamboo is great. It is very durable, however as someone wrote above - be careful with the moisture. The boards are absorbing water and hold it especially if the water is coming underneath the boards somehow. But if you quickly wipe off the water from the top there shouldn't be any problem.
Also you won't be able to use steam mop on it. Otherwise it's great.

Had family members just install bamboo , large sliding doors face the west
with plenty of sun on the floor , after two weeks there is a colour difference
from where the matts/rugs have been placed.

My next house I plan to have bamboo in bedrooms and porcelain tiles again in all other areas. Mainly as I have two dogs and would hate for them to scratch the bamboo floors.

Good quality tiles always look good. Without pets or young kids, I would go full bamboo floors

We have bamboo in our PPOR and I love the look and feel of it! Much warmer than tiles. I agree with the other comments about not getting it too wet - however, we do steam mop it and it looks great.

I've just purchased a heap of australian mixed hardwood 130mm wide for my ppor. I couldn't go bamboo because I needed the thicker stuff as the wood is being nailed to the floor joists.

Timber is cheaper than the other options anyway. $22.60 per m2. It's character grade though so I'll need to fill some bits with putty and sand and coat it. But considering how cheap it is, and how nice and wide the boards are, I'm happy to put in a bit of work.

I would only go tiles in wet areas. In other areas it's just not comfortable. And the only place I would go for carpet is in a baby's room and in the theatre room.

As for that timber look tile stuff, that's going to date terribly. That's going to be the lime green kitchen of the future.

I'm pretty bias being a tiler.

I have polished marble floors throughout my house and carpet in bedrooms. The stone tiles almost feel 'soft' underfoot. Probably the polish?. Definitely less clinical than porcelains.

I've never had timber as a main floor, so I have no opinion on timber.

pinkboy

I'm keen on timber rather than tiles for a PPOR. We have engineered timber flooring at home and it looks fantastic. It's also great because the slight pattern means you don't need to clean them every day (who does that anyway!). If you do go for timber or Bamboo make sure it is not one flat dark colour as every piece of dust will show up and drive you mad. Something with a bit of texture or grain pattern is good.

I haven't ever recommended Bamboo for clients as I have heard there can be real expansion problems. This is only going by what other designers and architects I know have said. Perhaps the products are better these days.

We were told to clean our floor with a mixture of boiling water and meths sprayed onto the surface and then immediately mopped off. This works really well and also means there is minimal water used (which could cause swelling etc I suppose).

Hope that helps!

Thanks all for the helpful responses. Seems like Bamboo swells with water...so still questioning if it's worth it.

Agree with Tim86 and exactly thought so the timber look times will get dated fast....

We love our steam mopping so seems we may end up choosing tiles. Will keep you posted.

Had family members just install bamboo , large sliding doors face the west
with plenty of sun on the floor , after two weeks there is a colour difference
from where the matts/rugs have been placed.

The same will occur with timber. Just happened to us in a new home with blackbutt floor. It's the coating that changes colour so any mats, furniture, etc will cause colour discrepancies if they remain in position for a period of time.

Apart from this they both can look great.

Back