Bathroom - Floor & Wall Tiles

Do you think it is better to have different tiles for the floors and walls in a bathroom? I am considering white tiles for the floors and a grey tile for the floors

I personally think it looks better to have different ones. and also, white tiles on the floor are a pain in the ***, as they show up every bit of dirt !

Ben

Do you think it is better to have different tiles for the floors and walls in a bathroom? I am considering white tiles for the floors and a grey tile for the floors

Yes, better to have white on the walls and grey on the floors. Don't forget the obligatory "stripe of tiles" up the shower walls too. ;)

Attachments

• tilestripe.jpg
    tilestripe.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 136
Surely that vertical stripe is destined to head the same way as shag pile carpet, orange or lime green kitchen bench tops, archways etc??????
Marg

Im looking at replacing my kitchen at the moment from my laminex wood grain one that is about 30 years old. I was tempted by the chocolate cabinets I saw then realised I was making the same mistake so I have settled on a glossy white

when in doubt

Whatever the material , always stick to neutral earthy tones, they may look bland, but they never date. Then you use current accessories. Much cheaper to change the accessories then the actual walls etc

'Chocolate' is lighter than mission brown so its not the same colour - having lived with a lot of mission brown in my old house - but you're right, it'll date just as badly. Not sure about the stripe though, depends what it is made of. The horizontal stripe of feature tiles is still kicking around after 30 odd years, they just do it out of less garish tiles these days.

I quite like brown and have painted this entire house beige but the dark brown splashbacks annoy me - you see them everywhere. We did our kitchen with a medium brown granite look benchtop (one of the ads that is running on tv lately has an identical kitchen colour scheme to ours) but WHITE splashbacks. At least you can easily get rid of paint, tiles are harder.

There's a few houses around here for sale that are 80s specials - horizontal bright floral feature row of tiles around the top of the (otherwise boring) kitchen splashback, same frilly feature tiles in the bathroom with a smattering of single floral feature tiles here and there in the wall. I just look at them and go oh, nice house, nice kitchen, nice price, OMG there's no way in hell I could live with that kitchen but its not a cheap enough house to warrant ripping out a perfectly good kitchen, neeeeeeeeext!

So where was I? Oh yeah, if in doubt, stick with white, maybe cream, little bit of beige, stay the hell away from strong colours and patterns. They date!

Back