Bathroom reno

I've got an old style bathroom with a hob shower that is tiled. I want all the tiles to be removed and floor re-screeded so we can have larger floor tiles.

I'd also like to remove the hob and have the screen fixed directly to the floor to give a neater, more stream-lined look. Can anyone comment on the drawbacks of attaching semi frameless shower screens to the floor tiles with silicone?

Tizzy,

The only downfall of using large tiles in a bathroom is trying to achieve a sufficient fall for drainage, without it looking odd. This is especially the case in smaller bathrooms.
As far as the semi frameless shower screen goes, they are ok but you may have an issue if using the larger tiles, if the bottom track is resting on a tile that is part of the fall...if you can picture what I am getting at!!!???
The shower screen will follow the tile and will be very out of square.

Hope I haven't confused you!!!:confused:

Boods:)

Thanks for that advice Boods. It may be quite difficult to get enough fall in towards the drain also. I don't want water pooling. Maybe I need to rethink the large tiles concept.

I have done this on a few properties, the fall issue can be worked with a clever tiler but many cuts which takes away from the big tile look you are after. I think I may have posted a picture of the bathroom previously.

I recently did a reno on a 1.36m wide bathroom - we wanted it too look big so we use 600mm long tiles on the walls only 20mm wide to give the impression of elogating the room rather than drawing attention to the width. The frameless shower screen did the same thing. Only comment on frameless showers siliconed to the tiles - boy they take a bit of scrubbing to keep the silicon looking clean.

Hope this helps, I am sure you can create the same effect without large floor tiles.

Jane

Hi Jane, thanks for the tip about the long tiles. I have seen them they look great. I hadn't thought about them on the floor though.

As far as the frameless screens go, I was hoping to avoid so much cleaning! I'm a bit disappointed it takes more than a hob shower. Is that the clear silicone you are talking about?

Hi Tizzy, is there a fall in your current tiles?

I would have thought if you remove the existing tiles, screed the same profile as before, then place your bigger tiles you'd have no problems.
Unless the fall is in the same direction as your shower screen. If so you'd just profile the screed perpendicular to your new shower screen.

But don't listen to me i'm not a tiler ;)

Have you found that the frameless shower screens are not too expensive and ok to install yourself?

It seems I need to ensure the fall is absolutely perfect with the tiles. I still intend to speak to a few more tilers for their point of view. I don't need the water pooling up against the screens.

I looked at buying the online frameless screens and could get them shipped to WA and fitted for about $1250 total for one. Fitting them looked really complicated. One false move with the drill and goodbye tile! For a brief moment we entertained the thought of saving some money but then chickened out because of the risk. Plus the configuration of the screens was a compromise for the particular site.

Thing is, made to measure screens are supposed to be designed to take into account any slope in the wall. Thats why they are quite pricey. I've now got a quote for $4500 for the two. I love the look, so thats what I'm getting . :) They can also coat them with something that makes the glass sheet the water off!! Who would have thought glass was pitted!!

One false move with the drill and goodbye tile! For a brief moment we entertained the thought of saving some money but then chickened out because of the risk.

The next time you 'pluck' up the courage, try one of these.... They look like a tiny tiny spade....

PICT0003.jpg

They cut through tiles like butter. First practice on an off-cut tile and DON'T use hammer mode.

Aaron

We have just finished a bathroom reno, using a builder.. not doing it ourselves.
Our ensuite bathroom is 1.1m wide. We used 30x30 tiles on the floor, and 90x30 tiles on walls. I think it looks great. Floor tiles are large enough to look modern, but not so big to have problems with fall in shower. There is one tile section which is cut around the drain, but they've done a very neat job.

We also have a frameless screen in the bathroom. In terms of the building work, you need to plan exactly what size the shower screen will be before you tile. The builders laid out a section of metal around the perimeter of the screen and tiled to and from this point. Actually, it helped cover areas where the tiles wouldnt have joined perfectly to the wall tiles. This is where the little metal strip at the bottom of the screen goes. But they were very fussy about getting the exact size of the screen and positioning of doors etc right before they tiled.

From a practicality point of view, there is some spillage out of the shower into the bathroom, particularly through the gap between the door panel and the fixed panel. This is partly due to our shower being a bit narrow. But they do look fantastic!

We didn't end up using one of the shower screens we bought for the job, so I'm looking to sell a 900 x 1200 frameless shower screen if you are interested! 10mm thick glass.

Pen

I'm sure you could get someone locally to measure and install the showerscreen cheaper than you have been quoted. This one
bathroom3.jpg

cost $786 installed on the Gold Coast and there were cheaper options but I got wardrobes done as well.

As long as the tiler knows where the screen will go they will make sure that the floor is level at that point. These tiles were 300 x 300.

That looks lovely Ani. My bathroom is smaller , so needs the shower enclosed. The price must be about right then. Yours is one sheet of glass. Mine needs two sheets, a narrow cut off corner sheet and then the glass door. It was the best frameless quote of three. Stegbar were the most expensive.

Back