Bedroom sizes

Hi all

looking for advice/opinions.

One of my current projects is splitting a corner lot into 2, am may be building on one of the blocks, 4x2, on about 400 sqm. What would you consider decent size bedrooms. I would rather max out living areas, however still want the bedrooms to not be pokey and of course master bedroom larger.

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to bedroom sizes for homes.

Thanks
MTR

Not sure if there is a rule of thumb, but this is what i stick to.

The smallest bedroom usable area should be a minimum of 3x3 (excluding BIR).
Eg. if the BIR is 600mm, then the room should be at least 3600mm x 3000mm, therefore when you place the BIR in, the room should be 3000x3000. Don't put it in a way where the room ends up be 3600x2400 because that would look small.

Also, i found that the width a room from 2900 to 3000 looks massive, 2900 just looks really small. 3000 makes a big difference. However the feel from 3000 to 3100 doesn't have as much of an impact.

If you can fit 3500 x 3100 usable space, that would be ideal.

I agree with others that 3 x 3 is way too small. Here are some of the cited dimensions shown relative to a queen-size bed (mattress 203 x 153 cm), and with a 65cm deep wardrobe running right along one wall. The pale larger square shows roughly where the quilt would overhang.

140817_bedroom_sizes_for_Somersoft.png

I'd want minimum 4 x 4 for a PPOR, but I wouldn't go smaller than 3.5 x 3.5 even for an IP.

Hi all

looking for advice/opinions.

One of my current projects is splitting a corner lot into 2, am may be building on one of the blocks, 4x2, on about 400 sqm. What would you consider decent size bedrooms. I would rather max out living areas, however still want the bedrooms to not be pokey and of course master bedroom larger.

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to bedroom sizes for homes.

Thanks
MTR

For a family home I would do 10sqm minimum for minor bedrooms - that is big enough for a QS bed if students etc rent it. That is around 3 x 3.5

For a master bedroom then I'd do 12sqm minimum

The other important thing is to have windows and doors placed so that the room is easily furnished.

Thanks, this is very helpful, still working on it

My villa (Spearwood) - bedrooms currently under construction are tiny, well put it this way we get a queen size bed in all bedrooms, but nothing else, a little staging could fix it, I will place double beds instead of queen beds when selling. Hopefully no one will even notice:)

NeK
OK, I will see if I can do this 3500 x 3100 for bedrooms.

At the moment I am just meeting with Ventura ID as I may be selling the block and just want some designs. Salesperson sent me some draft sketches, I thought they looked pretty good. I will still get them to price it as I have a much better idea on what specs I want.

What I have noticed recently is the spec builder standards now seem to include stone bench tops, higher ceilings, overhead cupboards ... I guess the market is dictating this.

If I do decide to build I will probably use my own draftee and take it from there

Back