Best Area Under $200K with good yield

I visited Dalby in June last year while on my mining town tour. I was speaking with a mature lady at the information bureau who seemed to know the town inside out and very knowledgeable. She said that other than when the various mining camps run out of vegies etc or the miners came to town for the odd purchase, the town got very little benefit from the mining. The mining camps brought food in from Sydney in big containers, and most of the miners would go to Toowoomba or Brissy for serious shopping.

Any updates from anyone?

Finding it very hard to find properties in this price range now and have put a handful of low ball offers on some places with no bites what so ever!

We have properties in Toowoomba and Whyalla. Both doing nicely

Yeah I'm pretty happy with Whyalla. 8% gross is easily achievable, and that's before the Olympic dam gets the nod.

I also recently looked into Toowoomba, but thought I might have missed the boat...

The Olympic dam was suppose to be expanded in 2012 wasn't it? was speaking to someone from Roxby who said the started building onsite accommodation and all

Olympic dam is the biggest tease in existence. :p

Yeah but the BHP bosses are like "yeah there's $10 Billion worth of stuff there... but it means we have to visit SA... stuff it"

As much as I hate to agree with the likes of CJay & DT (although perhaps for not the same reason as DT states), I wouldn't be getting my hopes up regarding the Olympic Dam expansion.

I'm certain it will happen. Far too much stuff underground in SA to ignore ;)

Yes an expansion will happen eventually. Will it be the massive 30 billion dollar expansion that everyone talked about prior to the official cancellation of the project? I would be leaning heavily towards the no category. Certainly making an investment desicion on the OD expansion would be highly speculative.

The Olympic dam was suppose to be expanded in 2012 wasn't it? was speaking to someone from Roxby who said the started building onsite accommodation and all

Onsite accomodation (both houses & camp accomodation) went in as part of the pre-announcement spending. All this has done is created an oversupply to the Roxby Downs residential market as it was starting to get built for the expansion workforce - what was once a tight rental market in Roxby Downs is now in oversupply territory.

Anyway, thats what my friend in the industry reckons :rolleyes:

Still Liking Toowoomba

I've been up in the Toowoomba region again over the past couple of days and although you can't see it yet there's a lot of stuff going on. The Courier mail had an interesting article on Tuesday about the $11Bln of investment in the region. The Australian also had a small article today that pointed out the vast difference in the amount of LNG investment that is currently going on compared to the other mining sectors. The expansion of the T/Ba Airport will be finished at the end of the year which will accommodate 747's. Once the town realizes that it's got a dirty big airport in town I think it will lead to a big jump in confidence. A number of national companies are buying up smaller regional companies in the area which leads me to believe they've done a lot more research than I have.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Bullfrog

Disclaimer. Yep I have a property in Toowoomba

Just bought in Toowoomba, a little over $200k but happy with the purchase.

Plenty of units coming onto the market there but shouldn't affect house prices.

Back