BMI Normal

Hi All
Feeling great, lost 10 kg (over 3 months) and BMI now in the normal range and back to size 10. Been trying to lose weight for quite some time and really getting me down.

Went to my doctors to discuss options, he suggested Duromine, this is a drug which suppresses the appetite, he said many of his clients had great success with this drug and would only recommend the use for only 1-2 months, however he continually reviewed this, as it can be addictive. Cost $120

Before I was placed on this drug there were many tests required, pretty much full medical, blood pressure, heart monitor etc.

There are also side effects and some negative reviews regarding this drug which I researched prior to going down this road, such as dry mouth, not able to sleep at night.

I am now not on the drug and just monitoring my portions.

This is the first time I have taken anything like this, happy with the results, but I now need to manage this.

I am not recommending this drug am just sharing my experience.

Cheers
MTR:)

Did you have any side effect at all ? I am always struggling to loose weight. So far lost 3 kilos on 2 months by mostly cutting carbs. But it is hard for me as I have a sweet tooth :(

Anyway, congratulations!!!

Duromine is speed! :rolleyes:

BMI is a poor indicator of healthy weight. My bodyfat would be closer to zero than most, yet my BMI says Im overweight.

Congrats on the weight loss. Best ways to lose weight are the tried and tested ways - control portion size, watching caloric intake, limiting alcohol to the bare minimum and moderate exercise.

pinkboy

Did you have any side effect at all ? I am always struggling to loose weight. So far lost 3 kilos on 2 months by mostly cutting carbs. But it is hard for me as I have a sweet tooth :(

Anyway, congratulations!!!

Dry mouth for a couple of days and also not able too sleep, first week could not get to bed till around 3.00 am - 4.00 am, after the initial week no side effects whatsoever.

BMI is a poor indicator of healthy weight. My bodyfat would be closer to zero than most, yet my BMI says Im overweight.

Congrats on the weight loss are to control portion size, watching caloric intake, limiting alcohol to the bare minimum and moderate exercise.

pinkboy

Thanks
I agree, what is it with BMI???? I know many people who are not overweight and yet according to BMI they are either overweight or obese. Yet this is the tool that seems to be used and referred to by health professionals.

Congrats on the weight loss. Best ways to lose weight are the tried and tested ways - control portion size, watching caloric intake, limiting alcohol to the bare minimum and moderate exercise.

pinkboy

I think for the average person, BMI is good, because most people do very little exercise. As soon as you add exercise, especially those that build muscle mass, your BMI will go out.

I'm obese on the BMI, so being a smart *** I asked the doctor if I should stop squatting and deadlifting to improve my BMI results, she asked me what a squat and deadlift was.....

Congratulations MTR. Now to keep it off. IMO this requires long term lifestyle change. Smaller portions and regular exercise worked into your life every day. IME it takes years to reset your metabolism to that sort of lifestyle. Before then your metabolism just slows down in response to the weight loss and the weight then goes back on again so much easier.

The thing that worked for me was cycling in to work in the city every day. One hour of decent exercise every day, rain or shine (but not hail or storms!). Works wonders...

BTW I seem to be the exact design for BMI - when my BMI said I was over weight, the mirror was telling me the same thing. IMO a lot of people's weight perceptions have slipped over the last few decades because we assess our weight relative to those around us and everyone else is heavier too. But that's not a good way to judge these things...

I think for the average person, BMI is good, because most people do very little exercise. As soon as you add exercise, especially those that build muscle mass, your BMI will go out.

I'm obese on the BMI, so being a smart *** I asked the doctor if I should stop squatting and deadlifting to improve my BMI results, she asked me what a squat and deadlift was.....

Yes, you're right - most people don't get enough exercise, let alone fat burning exercise to maintain healthy weight.

Im at the other side of the spectrum to you. My doctor is an IM triathlete as well, and knows the ins and outs of what I can do and is in tune with his body more than most, as well as I.

Im currently averaging 21hrs a week cycling, so all cardio. However, I am (always have) developing rather large glutes, thighs and calf muscles as a result, pushing me further outside the BMI 25. Even my MIL commented I was wearing 'well fitting' boardies the other day! :eek:

pinkboy

My BMI is 23 ... so getting close to the top and know I could lose around 5kg ... but gee ... that 5kg sure is stubborn

Thank you.
Yes, I agree I have to manage what I put in my mouth and some exercise and it is long term lifestyle change.

Exercise, not my favourite pastime, all I do it walk the dogs daily, but nothing too physical. I have read many articles where they state managing your weight is 80% food, 20% exercise.

Cycling to the city, very brave I think;)

Perceptions on weight have slipped over the last decades.

pinkboy

Agree totally. My BMI says I am in the underweight range for my height, but my personal trainer's figures show I have 27% body fat!!! Definately not healthy.

I have been struggling to lose weight/body fat for about a year or so now ever since I stopped my low carb diet. I have not been able to get back in the zone so to speak. Have been running/jogging for the last year or so as well, and really trying to eat healthy but it gets so much harder as you get older and the metabolism goes into sleep mode.

Plus my chocolate and ice-cream addiction doesn't help either :(

Back