BMI Normal

That's funny, as BV mentioned, would have thought the avatar would give it away. I can not see a male wanting a fluff ball dog as their avatar, just not macho enough;) it just does not sit right.

I guess its understandable though, the majority who post are males

No drugs, nothing is required
If you want to lose weight fast, learn to run

Run 3-4 times a week ... 5-10km each session
no fat can hang round your body for long with that routine plus it builds better bones density

You can eat anything provided you don't over do it with that routine

I'm obese on the BMI, so being a smart *** I asked the doctor if I should stop squatting and deadlifting to improve my BMI results, she asked me what a squat and deadlift was.....

Squats, deadlifts and benchpress + moderate cardio.

The fountain of youth that is in a gym near you. (mind you the vast majority at the gym don't do any of them!)

I often look at people and think "if they only did squats, deadlifts and benchpress their life would be soooo much better".

Doctors should subscribe it rather than medicines but first they have to know what it is I guess :eek:

No drugs, nothing is required
If you want to lose weight fast, learn to run

Run 3-4 times a week ... 5-10km each session
no fat can hang round your body for long with that routine plus it builds better bones density

You can eat anything provided you don't over do it with that routine

This is a myth... it is still dependent on your daily kiloj/cal intake, surely, what you put in your mouth. Perhaps in your case you are burning more kiloj/cal than your intake, but not everyone will do this. Watching a show yesterday, dietician working with 2 women who were trying to lose weight for a particular fun run event. Both running 10 km per day, however both could not lose weight. Long and short story is they were consuming too many kiloj/cal, I believe this is still one of the key elements to losing weight, exercise helps for sure, but from what I have read they should go hand in hand.

There is a great post by Alex P Keaton on SS (I can not locate this thread), anyway she lost I think 33 kg, exercise plan and healthy eating lifestyle. Great story

Last edited:
Yes I have been running for just over a year with no real weight loss. Still eating too much sugar/carbs and not running far enough or hard enough. Hopefully my new personal trainer will get me in shape quick smart :) 80% of weight loss is in the diet after all.

MTR I thought you were a bloke as well, the fluffy dog didn't even register ha ha. And I don't see any reason a man wouldn't have a fluffy dog as a pet.

Adopt the CR (calorie restrictive) lifestyle.
Eat whatever you want 5 days a week, and about 500 cal on the other 2.

You will lose weight, and a good chance you will live longer.

Life expectancy increased during the Depression years, when food was restricted.

Nothing wrong with feeling hungry.

Life expectancy increased during the Depression years, when food was restricted.

Hi Kathryn
is this what you do??

Hi Kathryn
is this what you do??

I watched the tv documentary twice,and did some follow up reading on google.
It does appeal to me.
Rob and I did it together for one day , and he didn't like it.

I liked it, except I found just eating the one meal (as suggested by one source) on the CR day, was a little hard for me. I'd rather eat a little tiny bit, several times.

I really don't eat very much anyways, but I am consciously trying to pick healthier choices.
In truth, I'd rather eat less every day, instead of restricting on 2 days.

I've bought the book, and tried this diet. I've seen the Moseley documentaries. I lost nothing over several weeks, and found a forum where the people who didn't lose any weight were like me, early 50s, menopausal or post menopausal.

I'm working too much until Christmas to continue this plan because I don't find it easy whilst working. I did find it manageable whilst being at home. I think it is a great idea for general health, but for me, the weightloss didn't happen.

I don't need to lose a lot of weight. Once the busy retail rush is over, after Christmas, I shall return to the Fast Diet for my health's sake. But I'm not expecting to lose weight on it after my initial trial of it.

I've bought the book, and tried this diet. I've seen the Moseley documentaries. I lost nothing over several weeks, and found a forum where the people who didn't lose any weight were like me, early 50s, menopausal or post menopausal.

I'm working too much until Christmas to continue this plan because I don't find it easy whilst working. I did find it manageable whilst being at home. I think it is a great idea for general health, but for me, the weightloss didn't happen.

I don't need to lose a lot of weight. Once the busy retail rush is over, after Christmas, I shall return to the Fast Diet for my health's sake. But I'm not expecting to lose weight on it after my initial trial of it.

Wylie,
I'm the same age group as you. I think that unless you severely restrict your calories, it will take a loooong time to see any difference in weight. I think weight maintenace would be fine.

I think if a person was to choose their calories wisely (which I don't always)
it will be a benefit to their health. I should eat more fruit & nuts.

I don't have cancer in my family, but we do have heart problems, diabetes, and alzheimers.

Since you tried the Moseley diet, did you feel better when you were on it?
I'm curious, as much as I want to do it... I have a sweet tooth, and think I would fall off the wagon pretty fast.

Wylie,
I'm the same age group as you. I think that unless you severely restrict your calories, it will take a loooong time to see any difference in weight. I think weight maintenace would be fine.

The documentary and the book tell of people losing weight from their first week, so I was so disappointed when I lost nothing. There were trials where people who ate normally for five days - not watching calories - lost more than those who watched calories on the non-diet days. I didn't change my normal eating pattern on non-fast days. I wasn't about to start gorging myself thinking I had carte blanche. But I lost nothing.

I think if a person was to choose their calories wisely (which I don't always)
it will be a benefit to their health. I should eat more fruit & nuts.

Agree with this. I try and usually can manage okay to choose wisely. I eat too much bread, especially when I'm hungry and it is so easy to make a piece of toast. I believe bread bloats me, but it is so easy, that it is a hard habit to break. I respond well to a low carb high protein diet, but don't want to mess with my body any more. I really like this Fast Diet and the science behind it.

I don't have cancer in my family, but we do have heart problems, diabetes, and alzheimers.

Since you tried the Moseley diet, did you feel better when you were on it?
I'm curious, as much as I want to do it... I have a sweet tooth, and think I would fall off the wagon pretty fast.

I didn't feel any different to be honest. I would have a breakfast with protein, counting the calories and leaving off the bread. On fast days, I chose my calories very carefully to fill myself up. I chose to have a biggish brekky and use 250 calories, and then drink herbal tea and water through the day. I found I was hungry, but it was not difficult to get through the day. I would then have my other 250 calories at night.

The book said (and I agree) that knowing you just have to get through one day of being reasonably hungry is easy knowing when you wake up next day you can eat normally again.

When I put my mind to it, I can abstain from sweet food, but once I dabble in (say) chocolate, I go looking for more. If I'm motivated, I can be very strong.

This is a myth... it is still dependent on your daily kiloj/cal intake, surely, what you put in your mouth. Perhaps in your case you are burning more kiloj/cal than your intake, but not everyone will do this. Watching a show yesterday, dietician working with 2 women who were trying to lose weight for a particular fun run event. Both running 10 km per day, however both could not lose weight. Long and short story is they were consuming too many kiloj/cal, I believe this is still one of the key elements to losing weight, exercise helps for sure, but from what I have read they should go hand in hand.

There is a great post by Alex P Keaton on SS (I can not locate this thread), anyway she lost I think 33 kg, exercise plan and healthy eating lifestyle. Great story

its not a myth, I am doing it I eat what ever I want, steak with fats, plenty of fats in my diet but I don't over eat ... not a single extra kg gain, losing as fast as I put on if I don't exercise over xmas and eat a lot..come Jan all the extra Kg gone....

go and talk to any runner ask them what they eat and you dont see one fat runner period...

its not a myth, I am doing it I eat what ever I want, steak with fats, plenty of fats in my diet but I don't over eat ... not a single extra kg gain, losing as fast as I put on if I don't exercise over xmas and eat a lot..come Jan all the extra Kg gone....

go and talk to any runner ask them what they eat and you dont see one fat runner period...

Yes I understand, what that tells me is that you are burning more kiloj/cals than you are consuming that is why you can maintain your weight, that is great, but not everyone will do this, some will consume more kiloj/cals than they burning off by running. You obviously got the right balance.

Golly gosh the subject of weight :eek:

So many variables and different points of view.

There are people that burn more calories at "rest" than others. Some people just have better metabolisms than others. Fact of life.

BMI is only a general indicator at best.

Scales are also useless as it could be water weight or a whole host of other reasons why they don't say what you want them to say. I am not saying that scales are bad it is just that if you don't see the numbers dropping you soon get disheartened and stop cutting back on the calories.

The best way to see if you are losing is by measurements or just seeing how your clothes are fitting.

There is an old saying "you can't outrun a bad diet" .

So many times I have heard friends say they spend x numbers of hours at the gym doing cardio and still they are not losing or they are even gaining and if you look deeper you will see all that exercise either made them hungrier or gave them an excuse to eat more as they had just exercised.

I know there are those of you on here who swear by exercise but I tell you something, most people HATE exercise and just won't do it. Just little things like a walk here and there. Simple as that.

So it usually comes back to what you are eating.

In my adult years my weight has ranged between 52kg - 120kg so I know a thing or two about diets (or maybe I don't :p).

I had a gastric band and got to 62kg which is perfect for me (size 8-10) and I stayed around that weight for 6 whole years just eating anything I liked but in small portions. Life was really good.

Then early last year (2012) the dreaded Menopause struck and to cut a long story short (for this bit) when you are in Menopause your estrogen levels drop. Your Progesterone goes to zero and your Testosterone (yes us girlies have a bit of that) also drops. So in 18 months I managed to put on 10kg and the reason was that I craved sweets to a ridiculous level and I didn't keep a check as I was used to being around the 62kg mark for the prior 6 years. It is my fault. By the time I gave up chocolate I was eating 1,500 calories of chocolate a day plus all the other foods I would eat. I was an idiot but the cravings were visceral. It seemed that the weight went on overnight but of course it didn't. I wanted the sweet stuff so much I made excuses and was in denial.

I have looked into all of this and a sweet craving is very normal for Menopausal women. When you go to the Doctor all they can give you is a drug to boost your Estrogen levels a bit (like Premarin) but it is the Progesterone and a couple of other hormones that also needs to be fixed.

I started on Bioidenticals 3 days ago and I have very high hopes. What they do is take all your blood tests and the Gynaecologist makes up a script for a Compounding Pharmacist who makes what is called a Troche (like a lozenge). And this Troche is made just for me. They come in a little container with 30 in them. The aim is to get your hormones back to a level status, as in Menopause your hormones are completely out of wack.

For those of you reading this post you might be able to identity.

I also started on Atkins a week ago (I have been sugar free for about 5 months) so going on Atkins was just a step up from that i.e. lowering Carbs and Increasing Fats and Proteins.

Just a word on Duromine. I was on it many years ago and it IS great but only if you use it as a crutch to get you where you want to go, but your weight loss will NOT be sustained unless you make changes to your diet. Also after a fairly short time you need to take more Duromine for the same effect/benefits.

Wow I think this is the longest post I have ever done!!

I am on an interesting journey. I am in my 50's and friends say "don't worry about the weight gain, just live with it" , but bugger that 50's is the new black and I damn well want to get this weight off and I am determined.

If anyone is interested I will let you know of my progress with Bioidenticals and with Atkins.

Over and out!

Last edited:
Great post Petal,

I have horrendous sweet and chocolate cravings, well not cravings so much but once I start it is hard to stop. I shudder to think what I will be like after menopause. Lately I have been eating raw cacao nibs and raw chocolate (no sugar/dairy added) which is quite bitter but a healthy way to get a chocolate fix and chocolate on its own is very very good for you and full of antioxidants.

I went for my first session with my new Personal Trainer today and he gave me my eating plan - 1300 calories per day allowed and it is so shocking to see how little that actually is. I think I will starve! I also have to do at least 1 hour cardio and at 1 hour weights for 6 days each week as well :eek: I can run 5 k's OK but not very fast so have to up both speed and distance. After running for the last 12 months and not losing weight I think I fell into the "I can eat whatever I want" trap. My goal now is to go from 27% body fat to 17% body fat and increase lean muscle mass. Hopefully without losing my boobs along the way :eek:

Kath D - I know a few guys at work who eat 500 cals every day except Sunday which is eat what they want day.

I watched the tv documentary twice,and did some follow up reading on google.
It does appeal to me.
Rob and I did it together for one day , and he didn't like it.

I liked it, except I found just eating the one meal (as suggested by one source) on the CR day, was a little hard for me. I'd rather eat a little tiny bit, several times.

I really don't eat very much anyways, but I am consciously trying to pick healthier choices.
In truth, I'd rather eat less every day, instead of restricting on 2 days.

Fasting diet doctor Michael Mosley, behind 5:2 eating plan, eases up after dropping 12kg

After some gruelling experiments with strict fasting regimes he came up with the popular 5:2 diet, the subject of the documentary Eat, Fast And Live Longer, which will be screened in Australia in October.

He has also co-written a best-selling book about the diet on which people eat normally for five days of the week and restrict their calories for two non-consecutive days.

Dr Mosley says he has lost 12kg, no longer has diabetes and has reduced his cholesterol. He also no longer snores.

The diet works because it is simple, logical and not too challenging, he says.
In a similar way to the feast and famine lifestyle of cavemen, it restricts calories and gives the body a chance to repair itself, Dr Mosley says.
His exercise regimen is also based on the lifestyle of our ancestors: lots of walking and short bursts of intense exertion.

And a nice short synopsis

The Fast Diet, quickly

Back