Boat Building thread

OK, Big shiny Bird back to OZ.

Boat sold to an apparenly unloving owner (glad she's not close by to watch deteriorate)

PPOR almost payed out from sale of boat, which then allowed us to start purchasing property.

As there was no way possible we could afford (or Justify) the extortianate mooring fees in Manly, we decided we needed a fallback position to moor her.

We remembered the yachties we met at Keppel Island a few years previously and there comments on how cheap Rockhampton was, so started to look.

Bloss came home with a printout of a place with a great view up the bend of the Fitzroy River off RE.com with vacant land never to be built on out back, so virtually river frontage and we could park the boat in view and get a crane to pick her up and place in the back yard to work.

The house wasnt much, but it begged for a massive deck, had unlimited views and was $97k.

We signed a contract (subject to suitability) and did a road trip.

I loved it (the site and future boatbuilding potentual) Bloss hated it, so we pulled out and as we left the place, drove past a freshly renoed place that was for sale and about to go open house and sale the next day.

This one was 500m to CBD , 50m to the boat club, 100 m to a pub (300m to a really good one) and I could still park the boat out front and have river views through the park.

The boat club charged a pittance for space on the hard to park the boat for work, so I didnt need my yard to work in, so we purchased this place instead.

It had pretty much new/refurbed everything (but will need a restump in a few years) and was a bit more expensive at $130k, but a much nicer house and a good place to run back to at latter stage in our life.

It is the Green house on the left

100_0215.JPG

All rented nicely, all good, everybody happy, Bloss said no more buying, ones enough and get back to boatbuilding

A few months latter (after working on Bloss a bit) we decided that we wanted some more as we felt that it wasnt a bad spot and approached the neighbours.

They were just about to list and get a low set place, so we purchased their place as well,(without an agent).

The Brown house cost a smidge more than the greenie, but the land content is bigger and now we had 2 side by side with rear st access, a park and a view over the road.

100_0181.JPG

Back to Boat building and we had both hulls glassed, faired primed and rolled and started the join up as per post 6 http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=345776&postcount=6

Lots of jiggling around, sliding in and out ,backward and forwards and up and down, measuring, checking and rechecking levels (water and laser) until I had the hulls about 5 mm out of level and diagonal. In the scheme of things this is about 0.05% accuracy (pencil line 2mm, laser line 4mm) and I had spent nearly a week to get there, so close enough and way closer than a lot of pro built boats I had worked on.

Here she is in position with the first of the bridgedeck panels going in.

017_17_Medium_.JPG

These were the same construction as the hulls, (42 x 16 Kiri planks with 600 gram Double bias cloth in epoxy resin)

Then to keep her all together and straight, some bulkheads.
These are what they call a drum bulkhead, this is the main one. 12 mm Gaboon ply, 100 x 25 Kiri braces and diagaonals and another 12 mm gaboon ply skin to close it off.

018_18.JPG

I did the back beam the same way, but used 9mm ply instead of 12mm (to save weight) and in reality, it is more than what is required when comparing to similar boats.

Next step was to start to do the decks and cabins so I decided to get the motors for her as access was easy now.

After looking and hearing just about everything, I decided on a pair of Cummins B3.3 as these were pretty much bulletproof, spun slow (1000 rpm less than Yanmar), had no turbo and immense amounts of Torque.

I figured on these probably outlasting my ownership on the boat.

I was given sizes and drawings and started builing in tanks, engine beds and placeing additional Bulkheads in, but when the motors turned up, they were a bit longer than speced, so a bit of a fight with the supplier, some nasty letters (which got me no where) and eventualy I decided to move on and just start cutting and smashing and change things around at my expense (only about $600 in material, but a few weeks work)

They are in now and should all be fine.

020_20.JPG

These are all sealed in now with back cabins built with room on top of engine room for a normal houshold Queen size bed. I still have acces Via a door in the front, and if the matress is moved I can acess and remove the engines from the top engine room hatch.

More later.

Dave

Wondering how the shed is copeing with the wind there at the moment?

5 minutes down the road we have......................

http://www.rqys.com.au/index.php/latestweather

Latest RQYS Weather

Last Update: 11:15 on 30/12/07
Wind Direction: SSE
Current Wind Speed: 23.13 knots
Daily Wind High: 43.65 knots at 10:24

Daily Wind Average: 13.12 knots
Monthly Wind High: 43.65 knots on 30/12/07
Monthly Wind Average: 8.06 knots
Yearly Wind High: 46.06 knots on 21/8/07
Yearly Wind Average: 6.88 knots

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60901/IDQ60901.94590.shtml
Inner Beacon has had 43 knots

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60901/IDQ60901.94594.shtml
Cape Moreton has had 50 knots

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60901/IDQ60901.94584.shtml
Double Island Point has had 53 knots

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/brisbane-observations-map.shtml
The whole area clickable map.

Yee hah

Dave

And of course one of my favourites, A 62 ft Gunboat Cruising cat blowing away one of the worlds fastest racing Mono's, an 80ft Reichel-Pugh
http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/cabce7fe77982ed5cbb7fcdf0dd91825

Dave
Dave,

You're killing me! I used to think I wanted a cruising monohull, but the more I read your thread the more I think I want to go cat. Gees that gunboat looks amazing under sail...

PS. I'm racing the Sydney-Southport on that DK43 monohull next weekend. We leave Sydney Saturday morning, and should make Southport Monday Night/Tuesday Morning depending on the weather. I'm bowman.

Cheers,
Michael

Dave,

Is the boat finished?

Nah, not yet.

I need a bit of a hand for the next big push and am owed some hours by a boat builder mate of mine, but I want to put him on for at least 3 months and get a good run at it.

Plus she'll need about $50k to $60k in stuff (fridges, solar, stove, limited electronics) to finish.

The funds are there, but with the current climate I thought I might just wait a little bit longer and see what happens before eating into the fold to much.

I can still do some smaller stuff, still have 20 sheets of 6mm ply, a few 9mm, a couple of 12mm, 200 litres of epoxy and half a roll of glass and about 80 litres of epoxy primer and topcoat in the shed, but all the extra cash outlay stuff can wait for a bit.

Pointless having her finished now as its a crap time to sell the PPOR anyway.

As soon as signs start looking more positive, the charge will be on, just in time to sell PPOR in next upswing.

Thats the loose plan for today anyway.

Dave

Dave,

You're killing me! I used to think I wanted a cruising monohull, but the more I read your thread the more I think I want to go cat. Gees that gunboat looks amazing under sail...

PS. I'm racing the Sydney-Southport on that DK43 monohull next weekend. We leave Sydney Saturday morning, and should make Southport Monday Night/Tuesday Morning depending on the weather. I'm bowman.

Cheers,
Michael

You have seen the Darkside young Skywalker.
The force of the multihull is a powerful thing to resist.

Have a fun and safe trip up in the race, keep the harness on, no Broaches, Chinese gybes or Death rolls. (wow, old terminology I never had to use on a sailing cat:D)

Dave

Have a fun and safe trip up in the race, keep the harness on, no Broaches, Chinese gybes or Death rolls. (wow, old terminology I never had to use on a sailing cat:D)

Dave
You're right about seeing the dark side. Suddenly I'm thinking Seawind 1000 as my first serious boat instead of Beneteau Oceanias. In the short term it will probably be a cheapie Compass 29. I ain't made of cash you know...

And, I'm glad you haven't chinesed on your cat. Would be a bit harder to bring upright than a monohull. ;)

Cheers mate,
Michael

Yes, I have heard of a lot of monohullers becoming multihullers but not the other way around... checking the GPS and seeing we were doing 16 knots (friend's Crowther Spindrift 42) :eek: with the wind up our clacker convinced me that multihulls are just fantastic! Not much chance of that on a Beneteau / etc. Some huge swell at the time too but you could still put your glass of wine down on the dining table! :cool:

Personally, I get seasick disappointly easily on a monohull but on a multi (so far) I'm fine! And if I did get sick you can get back to harbour quicker so for coastal cruising they are hard to beat...

Dave - love the thread - just got through it all. Our ten year retirement plan is currently a Schionning G-Force 1400 or something similar. Something lightweight and fast - easily powered under sail and power and make the most of the multihull advantage by not loading her up so we can outrun the weather. Speed is safety! Am thinking (powered) watermaker (plus spare hand unit!) for the water and we don't drink beer so that helps! Will look into building options but would like to do a lot myself so I can feel confident to fix / patch stuff when the inevitable happens...

I hadn't thought much about the power only option but will look into it a bit more now - I can see it would make a lot of sense if you're carrying a bit of weight coz u need a bit more breeze to get anywhere... If we did go power only it would probably be on sailing hulls as we wouldn't need to do more than 10 knots and if we wanted to sell the boat we could then put a complete new rig on it which would make it a pretty attractive proposition for a new owner.

By the way, in terms of retirement planning, my (English) uncle and aunt bought a 33 foot Westerly monohull (roomy for a 33 foot - definitely a cruising boat!) for around AUD$80k equivalent and have spent nine months cruising the Med every year for the last ten years. Fantastic lifestyle - pay for a marina berth (15 Euro) once a week to do the washing etc otherwise running costs / food / scooter hire around Greek islands etc probably costs them around $60k per year. A cheap holiday! And verrry nice.... :cool:

Good luck with the rest of the build! Happy launching!

After my last delivery to Vanuatu I have made a decision (I think) of putting an internal steering station in.

Brieif story and pics of "Fresh Cargo" here http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=426808&postcount=17

The way it is now is setup with Flybridge and that was to be the only place to drive. (though I was going to have a remote for the autopilot inside)

After doing the trip and sitting up top (first ever powercat trip) in reasonable weather, we soon realised that in any sort of a seaway, being high up is a bit jerky, calm is spectacular though, and it will still be a must for reef navigation.

That being the case, an internal station is essential if bumpy while on passage especialy at night, especially in winter.

I have also decided as she was always going to be a "Greedy" boat for 2 people, that we do'nt need 4 queen size cabins.

This being the case I will take the saw and sledgehammer to her soon and smash out the existing back cabins.

By doing this I can seal off back cabin access from down below and effectively have engine rooms and diesel smell isolated from the main living areas. Engine room access will then be from large hatches in the cockpit that will be large enough to get the motors through if ever required.

As the cockpit area will now be huge,(no cabins) the toilet (head) will also now be moved into the cockpit on one side and on the other, stairs going up to the flybridge instead of a ladder, and a sink and BBQ area.

This is what I always wanted, but I suppose a bit like houses, we were thinking 4 cabins for resale, wher as now I am thinking never sell.
If we do, Just saw out add ons and add new cabins (boat will need a respray by then anyway).

Dave

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Dave on these boards for a while now which is a shame as there were a couple of boat related topics I wanted to bounce off him... ;)

Cheers,
Michael

Back