Boat Building thread

This is really interesting, thankyou.

I've done some work? it's not really work....fun on the fishing boats (crayfishing) around Port Fairy and helping clean the hulls in dry dock...you are a top sea dawg Boatboy!

Amazing stuff.

I have no idea how to set up a blog site (and I will have to at some stage)

Contact me when you want a blog.. I'll do it for you.. its not worth the effort to learn how to install wordpress etc for the one time you want to do it.. alternatively if you're happy with a second rate domain name you can get a free blog now at wordpress.com without needing any technical knowledge.. I can see you'd have a LOT of interesting stuff to blog about.

and the thought of doing a car rebuild let alone several and trucks sends shivers down my spine.

You're in a league of you're with what you bit off though.. seriously :)

do you have any internal layout plans you can post or are you making it up as you go along?

Everything apart from the hull shapes I have made up myself, and pretty much make it up as I go.

A few scribblings on the back of a beer carton and away we go.

I bogied up a rough pic here to give you an idea of layout.

With the back cabin/storage area, imagine the beds rotated 90o and space in front to stand.

When we are on board they will be set up as storage areas, but can easily be converted back to Queen size cabins. As there is only 2 of us, how many Queen size beds do we need in a floating McMansion.

AQUAPLAY1250LAYOUTsmaller2.jpg

Dave

Hmmmmm...........Gaboon...........Hmmm.......:eek:

Didn't think you could still get it.

My last effort with Gaboon.............bit dated now and the knees are so stuffed I'll never trapeze again.

Sadly I never got past the 16' speed freak stage

Unfortunately cruising aint' really my thing....even the old mans Hartley TS used to scare the bejsesus out of me once it started to heel.............:eek:

Bloody marvellous Dave...........absolutely bloody marvellous, to see people that can work with their hands still exist. Kudos for taking the time to post it all.

Ciao

Nor

The ply I am using is being sold as Okoumé, but it's other name is Gaboon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aucoumea_klaineana

I do have to hand select as the quality varies , unlike Australian made hoop pine ply, but as there are plenty of sheets of 12, 9 and 6mm in this boat, the 30% weight saving is significant.

With the exchange rate at the moment, Gaboon is also cheaper to buy than hoop pine ply.

even the old mans Hartley TS used to scare the bejsesus out of me once it started to heel.............:eek:

Not to mention all the spilt beer:D

Dave

BB just found this thread....truly awesome! I am soooo enjoying your journey to your dream. Keeps reminding me of my ocean yacht racing youth...what a way to go! There's nothing like being "out there" to absolutely de-stress...the rest of the world just doesn't seem to exist. How wonderful for you and Bloss to be making your dream come true.:D

A few pics relating to previous posts before I start the next bit

Heres the boat parked up the Daintree river north of Port Douglas. Just love that Jungle and foxtail palms right down to the waters edge. Always expected Tarzan or the Phantom to poke their heads out of the shrubbery for a Rumbo.

scan0012.jpg

This one is at Hunter Island, one of a group of island amongst many in the Shoalwater Bay military training area.

It is a remarkable part of the world the Rockhampton to Mackay region from the water, most Yachties bypass the region in a dash from Gladstone to the Whitsundays, which is fine by me, as I mostly have it to myself.

We spent weeks in this area and only saw a couple of boats in that time and rarely heard anyone on the radio. Sweet

scan0015.jpg

The boat is parked so far out as the area has 30ft tides (most places have 6ft), so at low tide, it was quite shallow under her.

The area abounds in Large Sharks, Crocadiles, Mudcrabs, Fish and Oysters. I daresay there are large Crays as well, but I 'aint diving to find out.

There is a map of the area and Island's in this PDF link

http://www.cbcc.com.au/includes/agents_folder/1088/attachments/file_180314_3764.pdf

This a pic of the typical Pine covered headlands and beaches in the area, very spectacular. One of the beaches near this spot is large enough and hard enough to land large jet aircraft on and I think TAA actualy did it in one of their ad's.

scan00011.jpg

And just around the corner from that headland pic we have this creek. Bloss keeps an eye open for shapes moving in the water.:eek:

Chrystal clear, unpoluted and rarely if ever fished, Paradise.

scan00121.jpg

Larger versions of pics in gallery

Dave

Some pic's of friends of mine that we see on our travels.

I love these guy's, the Brown Booby Bird out at Fairfax Island, they always tell me where the fish are and keep me company when by myself out there.

scan0028.jpg

I love the way they hover just above my head and you can see every twitch of their wings. Over near the boat, they come out for a look and hover and the reflection of the turquoise water reflects off of their wings giving them a greenish hue

scan0030.jpg

They all line up on the top of the coral and look at me as I approach with a wise expression on their face. They show no fear.

scan0029.jpg

This one shows off its eggs

scan0032.jpg

The other visitor to Fairfax is the turtle. During breeding season there are hundreds of them in the lagoon. This one is coming up to nest and lay her eggs that night.

scan0018.jpg

Dave

Always get to see plenty of whales during our travels, one memorable night at the top of Fraser Island we could hear them blowing off the back of the boat and hear them singing through the hulls.

If I go back through my Logbook, on a Bowen to Townsville stretch once we saw around 20/day around us.

Big Black Uncharted Rocks.

scan0016.jpg

On the same stretch we saw lots of olive sea snakes but got no pic's. here is one of a small leopard shark on the surface

scan0017.jpg

Dolphins were a regular

scan0034.jpg

And leaving Fairfax early one morning, as the sun came up I was surrounded by seemingly hundreds of small spinner dolphins leaping around, feeding and following.

They like to get in the bow or stern wave and have a bit of a surf.

Dave

Back to New Caledonia.

Coming along the reef edge towards Dunbier Passage. Flying fish can be seen scooting off away from us.

scan0037.jpg

The approach to Port Mosselle was interesting.

I spent a long time on the radio trying to raise Customs requesting a berth for clearance.

After about 20 attempts another cruiser came on the radio and said to call Port Mosselle marina on the same channel and they would give directions.

PM Marina came back instantly and gave us a spot (they would have heard my previous attempts, why not butt in ?:

We parked on a berth in the land of Monster Catamarans, at 30 ft we were definetly the baby here, many cats up around 60 feet.

Unlike the Customs wharf in Australia, where you are locked behind a amplimesh and barbed wire door, we had free reign of the marina and infact were parked in with everyone else. Very helpfull girls in the office told us where to get washing, showers, fuel, food and supplied us with vouchers for free drinks at the Club Nautique where we had a fantastic lunch and a few of the local bevies (Number 1) beer.

Customs were very casual, took them a couple of days to turn up,they refused to search the boat and would'nt even look below and relied on our honesty to put some fruit in a bag they supplied.

We could very easily have bought in vast quantities of Booze and anything else that is hideously expensive here.

Scouted around having difficulty as our French was very ordinary and the majority of locals refused to attempt English. We needed LPG to run the fridge, so took it to the only place where we could get a re-fill and was told 5 days to fill as it had to go elsewear to be done. Had dinner with the new owner and after his wife had a few loosening wines we find out that ALL frenchies get taught english at school and infact she spoke english very well when pissed, yet made out ,like all locals, that they can't. GGGGGRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr.

We also find out that the gas bottle would have taken Luc (owner) 5 minutes to get filled as the filling station was only a short trip from town, and infact we could have dinghied their in 5 minutes.

I get the distinct impression that the French are generally unfriendly.

The fridge decided it was not going to work (LPG problem) it worked trouble free for years but now refused to ignite and from what we could gather it was oil in the gas ?????

The outboard for the dinghy never worked again either, after using the fuel that we bought from Aus (no prob's) and filling up with New Cal fuel it never fired up again, yet the main engine was ok ????? This little outboard had done countless miles over the years without missing a beat, and my dinghy was a pig to row. I designed and built it to carry five drunken men without tipping them into the water and I could stand up on the gunwale (edge) in relative safety, It also doubled as our escape vehicle with numerous sealed compartments, but a row boat she 'aint.

After loading up with Beer, Ice and limited food we almost needed to hock the house to pay for it. Very expensive and very poor exchange rate.

Sailed out and the adventure began, starting with catching fish for food, very easy here as Tazar (Spanish Mackeral) and Tuna almost jumped aboard.

(Not the new cal fish, but a Tazar non the less)

scan0020.jpg

Food revolved around fish Baguettes for the trip as baguettes were cheap and fish was free, leaving boat funds for beer.

Sailed down to Baie de Proni and decided we could spend weeks in there (when we return in the big boat) then on to a smaller Island to spear a coral trout.

We nosed the boat into the reef until we almost touched and dropped the pick so we had 10 ft at the front and 200+ feet at the back.

My mate who is a keen diver (I was still a bit shark shy from eagle Island) got ready to go in. I suggested going in over the front (in 10 feet) but he wanted to use the steps at the back, so took his spear gun down there, and promptly dropped it over the side into 200+ft of water AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHH.

He went in after dicking around for a bit with his gear, and obviosly by now it was gone. To make matters worse, there were plenty of big fat coral trout looking back from the reef edge ( and plenty of sharks further down)

On to Kuto (Isle of pines)for a look and where we were told we would be able to get ice and provisions at the main town, which we needed.

pines_at_isle_de_pine.jpg

We parked the first day in the big bay where the cruise ship came in and the next day went around to Kanumera to a lovely anchorage which we shared with some other boats.

es-kanumera.jpg

We went on the quest for Ice and Baguettes and was told there was a boulangerie (bakery) a few miles up the road, so went on a hike and saw the old prison ruins and jungle eventualy arriving at the bakery, which was shut.

We waited wth some locals for a couple of hours, as they opened when they felt like it, grabbed our baguettes and started hiking back to the resort near the boat where we could apparently get ice. Thumb out and jagged a ride in the back of a truck with a bunch of Kanaks (natives of new cal) down to the resort only to find it was closed for about another hour.

When it opened the ice consisted of 1.5 litre softie bottles with half frozen water which cost about $5AUD per bottle. By the time we got them to the boat they were melted. Beer getting warmish now, but we were told the main town of the island had some.

Around to another bay where we anchored, dinghied in and set off on a hike leaving a cow to guard the boat.

scan0038.jpg

Stopped at several little shops on the way into the big smoke and no glace (ice) and fingers pointed toward the next place.

To cut a long story short, no bloody ice, no cold beer, no baguettes.

A man with a big refrigerated shipping container could make a bloody fortune here(from me anyway)

Went back to the main bay and tried the big passenger cats that go from Noumea, Kuto and across to the Loyalties with no joy so decided to head back to Noumea. No cold beer, no fun.

More later

Dave

Back