Boronia vs. Doncaster East

Absolutely not! LOL I was the product of the state school system. Went to uni, worked in an office job etc.

It's really in your (or kids shall I say) hand's.

So how does it differ once in Uni? If both a private and state school kid get in. Or do state school kids have a tough time getting into Uni?

Getting into Uni is also not a gurantee you will make it. Not enough room for everyone to make it.

Not being racist or anything but how many non-mainland Chinese are willing to part with that amount of money for a GW/Balwyn house?

This is so true. I am happily living in inner city and that day my friend asked me if I got the money, would I move to GW? And my answer was, ' I'm not from China.";)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister
Not being racist or anything but how many non-mainland Chinese are willing to part with that amount of money for a GW/Balwyn house?
This is so true. I am happily living in inner city and that day my friend asked me if I got the money, would I move to GW? And my answer was, ' I'm not from China.";)

Non-mainland chinese, plenty - i know chinese from indonesia, malaysia, hong kong, thai etc who buy in there. let alone some australian chinese. throw in the indians from sri lanka (they have a pocket of them there as in community etc) and the ones who are well off from india (punjab state if not mistaken)

as in europeans or caucasian australians - i presume i see 20% of them in auctions so i can reasoable expect some of them to be interested?
beats me.

It used to be Balwyn/Balwyn North and Glen Waverley that attracted this demographic with many foreign born students entered at the schools. At one point in the last few years Balwyn High had 100+ or so foreign paid up students, and this basically funded most of the school activities. It seems the spillover into the neighbouring suburbs has occurred awhile ago. Doncaster High and East Doncaster High now advertise on mainland Chinese websites and have also become zoned, and seemed to have moved into a much better education standing and are quite popular with this demopgraphic.

hmmm not really mainland chinese like box hill or doncaster more.

malaysian & indonesian chinese prefer GW more.

Historically yes, prior to the influx of the Mainland Chinese.

Now, it's mainly Mainland Chinese as a spillover from Balwyn (High School).

Doncaster/East Doncaster was mainly Hong Kong emigrants then followed by the Mainland Chinese.

Non-mainland chinese, plenty - i know chinese from indonesia, malaysia, hong kong, thai etc who buy in there. let alone some australian chinese. throw in the indians from sri lanka (they have a pocket of them there as in community etc) and the ones who are well off from india (punjab state if not mistaken)

as in europeans or caucasian australians - i presume i see 20% of them in auctions so i can reasoable expect some of them to be interested?
beats me.

The Europeans are looking for a bargain - or somewhere to demolish, rebuild and resell to the Mainland Chinese.

The difference I see between the Indians and Mainland (or Overseas) Chinese is the latter are crazy when it comes to Auctions going for ridiculous prices. Indians seem to do their homework a little more and will go over a lil but not to the Chinese extent.

So how does it differ once in Uni? If both a private and state school kid get in. Or do state school kids have a tough time getting into Uni?

Getting into Uni is also not a gurantee you will make it. Not enough room for everyone to make it.

The only real diff I could recall was in State schools you kind of have to push yourself a little more. State school teachers basically taught just the standard material. I had friends who went to Balwyn High, Doncaster East High, Glen Waverley High, Melb High, MacRobertsons, a few private schools and Uni High. I myself went to a run down, under funded state school in the Western suburbs.

To me, our teachers were just as good, however, they students in general lacked the overall academic hunger...therefore it was a less competitive environment and if you were top of the class and lacked the motivation to push yourself harder, you could find yourself too complacent.

Two aspects which I do remember was their schools somewhat offering more study material if that was your thing....Melb High and Macrobs were obviously nerds and the other additional study assistance from teachers. For us, we had to often request weekend classes from teachers who were willing to provide tuition at no cost. Most other schools told me they offered this in the first place.....

Not sure if the difference is so wide now with the advent of the Internet and all, making material much easier to source - hence closing the gap somewhat. I did my VCE in 1999, so it's been years since then!

I don't get how OP is comparing Boronia vs Doncaster

Back in 2007, looked into Boronia, market price was in the 300's, and it appears today 7 years later, not much has happened
I am glad I brought else where at that time

Back