Bought a house for $22,000

Hi guys,

Just thought I would write a post on a interesting purchase I have recently made. Its a 3 bed house in Coonamble. I submitted an offer of $20,000 for the property, I was more mucking around than thinking I could actually buy it at that price. After a bit of negotiating I managed to seal the deal for $22,000. I checked some comparables currently on the market for sale and there are a few properties under contract around the $80,000 range. Most of them are in average condition. I also did an RP Data CMA on the property and it came up between $90,000 - $110,000. I wanted to see in what condition the property was so I set out on a 8 hour drive to have a look and found out that it is actually a 4 bedder. Buy 3 get 1 free hahaha. Its a Nathan Birch special as its in pretty bad condition and needs renovating but offers great equity and yield. Reno will take 2 weeks to complete and cost no more than $15,000. Not much availabe for rent in the area and few local agents indicated that should get between $160 - $200 per week rent. After all expenses the net yield is around 16%.

Regards,
Engelo

See if Nathan will lend you his reno team, they do a great job for an extremely low price based on previous posts

At least Coonamble isn't out "Back of Bourke" as the saying goes, though I did have to zoom out for a bit before I saw the wet blue stuff

Great work with the extra bedroom also! Keep us posted

Attachments

• Whereis Coonamble.JPG
    Whereis Coonamble.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 123
That would be fantastic if they do. CBA does also but only for the 1st 24 hours of when it rains. The clauses are a joke. Thanks for that I will definetly check with Westpac.

Regards,
Engelo

Westpac have been playing ads on the radio nonstop for the last few days saying they DO insure for flooding :)

Just check that they will insure a property in a flood zone, and the price. There were many people in Brisbane flood areas who were not insured against flood as the premiums were too expensive, ($12K each year one person was quoted for a very ordinary house in Goodna.)
Marg

Just check that they will insure a property in a flood zone, and the price. There were many people in Brisbane flood areas who were not insured against flood as the premiums were too expensive, ($12K each year one person was quoted for a very ordinary house in Goodna.)
Marg

Thanks Marg,

Thats sounds very expensive.

Any updates?
I'd love to see what's happening

Hi Property Meister,

I got caught up in a few other projects I am doing. I should be going to Coonamble in the next few weeks to start renovating.

I have another cracker deal that I am in the process of buying. Its better than Coonamble. Will reveal details soon.

Engelo

All sounds terrific, but I'll be the Dev's Ad for a sec....

a) A property renting for $150 per week will attract what type of tenant generally?

b) Small population which means small pool of renters.

Nevertheless; well done and good luck; may you buy many more.

With regards to the reno can you please jot down your budget please?

Also are you doing the work yourself or hiring help?

From experience, and the state of that property (if that is the one @62 Wingadee) I think your $15k would end up being more like $30K-50K (depending on labour and quality of finish).

engelo10, ... Do you realise that you've probably mucked up the median price for Coonamble with that purchase? ..... :p

Well done and good luck with it.

Mystery

Last edited:
Back