Boundary Dispute Brisbane

Hi, I have a couple of issues with a block of land I bought. I had the survey done and the boundary was pegged today. There are a few issues as per below:

1. The back boundary fence is built between 32cm and 46cm on my side of the land on an angle
2. The back neighbours driveway is built about 30cm on my land
3. Front boundary - neighbours water pipes are exposed and go from the water meter box across my land about 1 metre in

The issues is I am building a house and retaining walls that I want to put on the boundary. Any suggestions on how I can get the neighbour to rectify this?

thanks

Friendly approach with you paying for the work to be done is the cheapest way to go about it.

If friendly doesn't work then you can go QCAT by yourself.

Otherwise you can hire a lawyer, but you are looking at over a $1000 to get to the sending them letters stage, could get away with under $500 if you have everything documented, photos, etc.

Would recommend the friendly approach first.

Last one of these I was involved in got messy and ended up costing over $10 grand in legal fees. Disputed surveys etc. are not cheap.

thanks, but I don't understand why I should be the one paying? I am going to try the friendly approach but don't believe that I should be paying for their mistakes?

Friendly approach with you paying for the work to be done is the cheapest way to go about it.

If friendly doesn't work then you can go QCAT by yourself.

Otherwise you can hire a lawyer, but you are looking at over a $1000 to get to the sending them letters stage, could get away with under $500 if you have everything documented, photos, etc.

Would recommend the friendly approach first.

Last one of these I was involved in got messy and ended up costing over $10 grand in legal fees. Disputed surveys etc. are not cheap.

Because it is the cheapest, fastest and least stressful way out for you and the cost to you when building a house anyway should be small in comparison.

Life's too short to be involved in litigation. Its expensive and stressful and often even when you win you feel like you haven't. When straight forward (like a debt) or for a decent amount then its worthwhile.

It depends on the costs involved in rectification but they don't sound like more than $5 grand to me.

If you approach them and they pay, then great. If they lawyer up though your costs and time could be substantial, won't take long to exceed the $5 grand in costs.

Are you going to live there? That can help sway the decision in regards to the importance of neighbourly relations also.

Besides you are the one wanting to do work.

Surely the time to do the survey was before you bought the property. These issues could have helped you negotiate the price.
Marg

Back