Boundary of Brisbane?

"Brisbane" is officially just the local government area (LGA) and doesn't include the surrounding shires (eg. Redlands).

Greater Brisbane (in terms of how the Bureau of Stats define it for their term Brisbane SLA - Statistical Local Area) includes Brisbane LGA, Logan LGA, Ipswich LGA, Pine Rivers LGA, Redlands LGA, Redcliffe LGA, the northern tip of the Gold Coast LGA, and parts of Beaudesert LGA, Caboolture LGA.

Confused? The Bureau is currently in the process of redefining these boundaries and hopefully we'll see a more steamlined approach.

Generally though, greater Brisbane includes all suburbs in Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Redlands, Pine Rivers and Redcliffe.
Anyway, this is the REIQ's view, which is where I hail from!

Originally posted by fbergin
"Brisbane" is officially just the local government area (LGA) and doesn't include the surrounding shires (eg. Redlands).

Greater Brisbane (in terms of how the Bureau of Stats define it for their term Brisbane SLA - Statistical Local Area) includes Brisbane LGA, Logan LGA, Ipswich LGA, Pine Rivers LGA, Redlands LGA, Redcliffe LGA, the northern tip of the Gold Coast LGA, and parts of Beaudesert LGA, Caboolture LGA.

Confused? The Bureau is currently in the process of redefining these boundaries and hopefully we'll see a more steamlined approach.

Generally though, greater Brisbane includes all suburbs in Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Redlands, Pine Rivers and Redcliffe.
Anyway, this is the REIQ's view, which is where I hail from!
And I was just getting used to to the fact that I was just outside Brisbane, now I find I am actually inside Greater Brisbane.

Dear Fiona,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see the editor of a quality magazine sharing some time on our forum. Hope you continue to post some more! :)

Dear Lilith,

I see that as populations increase cities naturally grow. Look at other international cities to get an indication of what will happen to Brisbane.

Having said that growth goes through cycles and different age groups have different perceptions of what "constitutes" being part of a major city in this case Brisbane. One investor I know considers Mt Gravatt "out in the sticks". He has different perceptions to myself.

For myself I consider that any suburb which has a) A local telephone number (Non-STD) and b) Is less than 1 hours drive from the centre of Brisbane is part of Brisbane.

In another 10-15 years time others may start to be saying "Less than 2 hours drive from the centre of Brisbane." However can you really see a tenant being happy travelling such a distance today?

That's why transportation will be such an important factor that is not understood by many who have not lived away from Brisbane. Roads and busways will continue to be upgraded but ultimately they cannot carry the level of traffic that trains/subways do. Trains will be the critical link to move the massive increases of population that will inevitably happen in Brisbane.

The ramifications that this will have on property prices which are an easy walking distance to train stations are not rocket science.

Enjoy the journey.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back