Brisbane 1974 Flood Experiences...

Has anyone lived through the Brisbane 1974 floods? Could you enlighten us as to how long it took the state to recover, and the scale of damage to property?

Well reluctantly I can say I was around in the 74 floods and remember well.

Its totally different today with the media being so on the spot...years ago everything was delayed, radio was the ebst for on the spot info back then.

I have said many times that Brisbanites will be in for a rude shock when the river goes into flood there....

So many suburbs I worked on years ago with developments were in the firing line with flooding it wasnt funny...still council after council has allowed it to happen.

So called riverfront developments worth millions is now front and centre with real river views...

All I can say is you reap what you sew......

Anyone who purchased in Brisbane and did not do due dilligence is a fool as there are many areas both old and new that will go under in my opinion..........

As for recovery, well, I cant remember, it wasnt a huge issue i dont thing state wise but it did take many weeks to get back to nornality................

So much is different now to back then.....Bridges, roads, quality of roads and freeways, response to issues such as this etc.....

Plus Petersen was the premier back then...tight as a fishes you know what....

Short term pain only.

keep in mind the media will flog it to death....Much of Brisbane will not flood and it will be business as normal.

...and people have short term memories when it comes to buying r/e...a few years time many areas will be off the radar again and people will again become lax when buying...

in 74 beachfron Gold coast was pretty much wiped out due to the storm surge and king tides.

Took a long time for market confidence to come back for the premium properties

ta
rolf

Back