Brisbane house in a flood free suburb

Can someone help, I'm looking for Brisbane suburbs that weren't affected by flooding. Looking at a house in the outer suburbs maybe 7 to 20k's from the city any upto $500k, any suburb suggestions?

Flood free brisbane suburbs

There were heaps of suburbs close to the CBD (and not so close) affected by the floods, having said that it doesn't mean the whole suburb went under. I know the southside best so Carina, Carindale were ok, closer in like east brisbane, woolloongabba had streets effected but anything on a hill was fine. Rocklea, Fairfield, Yeronga were badly hit however again there were houses unaffected that were on high streets. I would suggest google maps and then have a look at suburbs along the river and then have a look at the location of the parks, in my experience the parks tend to be (not always) in low lying areas, they aren't going allocated parks to prime real estate.

The only other suggestion I would make with Brisbane is the distance you want to be away from the CBD, the southside has great road networks so you can live further away but it doesn't take you long to get into the city, on the north side you can live quite close but because it doesn't have the road networks it can take much longer to get to the city. For example I know of a northern suburb that is 15k's from the CBD and it takes the same time to get to the city (peak hour as well as non peak hour) as it would for someone from the southside that lives 35ks from the CBD.

When I was in the process of buying some Brisbane investment properties, I also used the flood maps that were mentioned above by jclegg. They are quite detailed maps and very useful in showing you exactly the extent of the floods across different areas

Only thing I'd be wary of is that in a suburb where the property isn't in a flood zone, but a lot of the suburb was flooded - that stigma is hard to shake off. Meaning good discounts, but it may be hard to sell later? Thoughts?

Only thing I'd be wary of is that in a suburb where the property isn't in a flood zone, but a lot of the suburb was flooded - that stigma is hard to shake off. Meaning good discounts, but it may be hard to sell later? Thoughts?

Good discounts and if you are in it for the longer term and the floods arnt repeated then the stigma will fade.
I would be thinking 15 years would be good
Anything under 10 I think might be a risk as its still fresh in the mind of purchasers

Good discounts and if you are in it for the longer term and the floods arnt repeated then the stigma will fade.
I would be thinking 15 years would be good
Anything under 10 I think might be a risk as its still fresh in the mind of purchasers

I'd agree with that, provided extensive floods aren't seen in the meantime that bring about that same stigma again? I wrote a piece about this a while back and it's risky but there are opportunities there.

Something interesting re: 1 in 100 year flood (mathematically) -

By Definition Probability of a 100-year flood occurring in a given year = 1/100

Therefore Probability of a 100-year flood Not occurring in a given year = (1 – 1/100)

Probability of a 100-year flood Not occurring in 30 years = (1 - 1/100) ^ 30 = 0.7397

Therefore Probability of a 100-year flood occurring at least once in the next 30 years = 1 – 0.7397 = 26%

(Source: California Water Plan Update 2005, http://www.waterplan.water.ca.gov/docs/cwpu2005/vol4/vol4-hydrology-frequencyof100yearflood.pdf)

Back