Brisbane Prestige Suburbs

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding suburbs in Brisbane. It would be great if anybody was able to equate the Brisbane suburbs with Sydney suburbs (eg like mosman etc). We are considering moving to Brisbane and I am trying to get an idea of renting costs (we are currently renting on the Upper North Shore of Sydney).

All help/advice would be appreciated.

Thks

PS I have searched the threads already!

I dont know Sydney suburbs

But the Brisbane prestige suburbs would include (in no particular order)

New Farm (mix of old money and beautiful people)
Ascot (old money - boring - horses)
Bulimba (noveau riche - trendy - riverside)
Paddington (trendy - artsy)
Manly (seaside - yacht clubs)
Samford (semi-rural and hilly)
Raby Bay (fair distance from CBD but canal front homes)
Shorncliffe (seaside old money)
West End (trendy but still some distance to go in terms of gentrification - there is still a wino population)

The highest concentrations of wealth (or highest mortgages...) are probably along the river close to the CBD for example New Farm clifftop.

New Farm and Hamilton. For larger lots and further out of city Fig Tree Pocket. A few to start with.

For others to assist you need to be more specific eg have kids and need access to good schools etc.

Wife and I rent riverfront apartment in New Farm and love it.

The following links might be of use:

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/suburbs

Cheers

I would have to add St Lucia. That is quite close to town and right by the river It is very nice and leafy.
I really love Shorncliffe. When you get here you should catch the train out there and walk along the clifftop/waterfront. There is big queenslander after big queenslander. The air is a lot cleaner and all the places there are close to the train.

Thanks for your input. We have 3 boys (8,6,3) and are currently renting a house on 1200sqm with a pool. The boys really love (and need) the space. Looking for an excellent public primary school!

The main criteria then would be space, school and within approx 1/2 hour commute (by public transport) to CBD. I will be coming for a look see once I narrow the suburb list down. Thanks again

Thanks for your input. We have 3 boys (8,6,3) and are currently renting a house on 1200sqm with a pool. The boys really love (and need) the space. Looking for an excellent public primary school!

The main criteria then would be space, school and within approx 1/2 hour commute (by public transport) to CBD. I will be coming for a look see once I narrow the suburb list down. Thanks again

wow they have a paddington and manly in bris as well?

most of brisbane is within half an hour to the CBD...

most surburbs here have a mix of high and low priced homes and large mansions, crappy small lowsets on small blocks and units...all my comments refer to the larger houses.

other suburbs to add to the list include:

Brigeman Downs (similar to the hills district, family friendly and central northside)
Kenmore (Carlingford) westside
The Gap (North Rocks/Carlingford) nth west

the mossman equiv would be Ascot/Hamilton - a lot of multi-million dollar properties with the whose-who of the local scene. You will need several million to get into a good house here, but around a mill will get a nice timber 4 bed completely reno'd queenslander in a quiet street in Hamilton and Clayfield.

The west side suburbs mentioned like Fig Tree Pocket, Kenmore, Saint Lucia, Chelmer etc are all leafy suburbs with larger blocks. There is a mix of 100yr old qld'ers and very new modern architectural homes on large blocks etc.

there are good public schools and bad all over - it is almost an easier bet to find where you want to live and find a school from there.

If you want closer to the CBD, Windsor/Wilston/Newmarket has a lot of nice properties and is one of those areas where old and new money mix...lots of families but lots of old folks who have been there for 60 yrs too.

Bridgeman Downs in the nth, Brookfield and Pullenvale in the west are partly acreage suburbs where for between 1-2.5M you can get a very large (75sq+) home on a hectare or so...

the other option maybe somewhere like Wavell Heights...plenty of large 4-5 bedroom homes on 1000+ sqm with city views for a bit over a million...some under too if you go without the view.

plenty of options - I have sold proeprty over most of the north side so if you have something specific in mind other than what you have said let us know...

hope this helps!!
UC

Give us a price range to work with !

For public transit you cannot beat catching the City Cat to work in the CBD. It leaves every 10 minutes or less on the Bulimba route, is quiet, fast, affordable and clean. And if you are lucky you will see pelicans, fish or maybe even a dolphin on your ride in to work. Its hard to have a bad day when you have such a great start.

I live in the Samford area previously mentioned in the first list. I'm 19km to the CBD via road, 4 minute drive to the train (28 minute trip to central) on 5 acres of beautiful country in a spectacular valley. It's mostly acreage but there are smaller blocks around the village. Public primary school is of a high standard. It has a generally very high standard of housing and is a fairly affluent area. And it seems that a lot of high profile, business/media/sporting/musical people agree going by many of the kids birthday parties I have to take my kids to.

I have lived in the south-west suburbs for 10 years - I'd add my vote for Kenmore/Fig Tree Pocket/Chapel Hill. Several local state schools have outstanding reputations.

I would add Stretton to the list. Its a southern suburb with streets of multimillion dollar homes in them, lots of asian doctors live there. Its also the suburb that has the lowest mortgage according to abs.

I burst into laughter over that one. Good job my office neighbours are used to me...

Stretton. Had to look it up on google maps. Its surrounded by Eight Mile Plains, Woodridge, Browns Plains and next to Sunnybank. I guess its the step up from Sunnybank? Mind you I think Calamvale is supposed to be quite nice?

Most have mentioned the northern suburbs - but they are nowhere near the water like Mosman and all BLOODY HOT AND CROWDED.

Try Wellington Point/Cleveland - Manly is a lot older.

PT

I think Welly Pt & Cleveland are a bit far out for NSW - 40+ minutes by train. And, although I live there and love the place, I don't think it could be classified as 'prestige suburbs' - certainly not in the same category as Ascot and Hamilton (and others).

And, besides all that ..... we don't want everyone knowing all about the beautiful Redlands now, do we? ;);)

Cheers
LynnH

last time i checked Hamilton was on the water...and has some very nice views up and down stream.

New Farm Bulimba, Fig Tree, Saint Lucia and Chelmer are all on the water too...

as for hot and crowded, that is subjective, compared to manly maybe a little hotter without the seabreeze, but Bridgeman Downs gets bay breezes and so does Hamilton etc.

any inner city suburb is going to be more populous than the outer 'burbs, but again that is subjective compared to what your used to...

if they are coming from Mossman, there won't be much in Brisbane that is as crowded as some parts of that suburb...

Good one, boomtown! :D

The local 'bear' population is too bl@@dy lazy to wake up for long enough to poop on cars during the daytime. They save all their energy for nighttime so they can screech while they go about their nocturnal 'activities' - and keep everyone awake! :p

Cheers
LynnH

Back