Brisbane Prestige Suburbs

I would add Stretton to the list.
With respect, I wouldn't add Stretton. Very small lots with large houses. The houses are nearly all double story and stretch the full width of the lots, with tiny front yards, and there is very little variation in building style, size, or orientation. They look like they're all the same house with different options. :(

Driving along the streets around The Parkway, the houses feel oppressively large, and like the people have spent so much on the pretentious house that they could only afford a postage stamp sized lot to put it on. :eek:

Sorry ruroshin - obviously you like Stretton. :eek: No hard feelings, hey? :)

Water - as in beach, not a dirty river. Yes, the bayside is not prestige I guess like Ascot etc (except maybe Raby Bay)and a bit far out but there is no real equivalent to Mosman I think?

there is no real equivalent to Mosman I think?

I think so too.. Brisbane and Sydney are like apples and oranges. Sydney is blessed with nice beaches, while Brisbane has a Willy Wonka chocolate river.

When I win powerball :rolleyes: I'll buy a detached townhouse on the river at Teneriffe, or a qld'er with a massive deck at Bulimba or on the hill at Balmoral - great views.

A bit cheaper and nice area to bring up a family is Camp Hill.

Water - as in beach, not a dirty river. Yes, the bayside is not prestige I guess like Ascot etc (except maybe Raby Bay)and a bit far out but there is no real equivalent to Mosman I think?

I don't disagree with the quality of the water remark, there is nowhere in queensland where you can have a mossman-esque experience like that...

I refer to a Hamilton Mosman likeness with other factors such as proximity to the CBD, affluence of it's residences, geographical similarities (northside of the drink, big hill with views, services etc.) The geography of The Spit/Balmoral end of Mossman (looking across to Balgowlah/seaforth) bares some striking similarities to the Hamilton area...all with the exception of water quality of course:p

VBP is prob most correct...the two towns are like apples and oranges and they both have their good and bad points.

HEY - how awesome would Brisneyland be with a massive harbour in the middle!!!!!!!!!!!! spectacular views - and the southside would be even further away! HAHAHAHA...sorry - couldn't resist that old chestnut!:D

Thanks everyone again for your input. Just to clarify we don't live in Mosman (it was just an example), we live in Turramurra.

I have today, between looking after 2 sick boys, been trawling through all the suggestions both to buy and to rent. I was amazed at how small some of the plot sizes are :eek:!! I am also trying to get my head around the differences in architecture between Sydney and Brisbane. I don't think I saw one double brick federation type house. Not bad, just different - I have only ever driven through Brisbane so really had no idea at how prevalent the wooden queenslanders are. Some of them are really beautiful. I am definitely not a McMansion type of person and would sacrifice “new” over land size and period features.

Some of the rural blocks (5000sqm +) in the suggested suburbs looked nice but I am terrified of snakes, too many close encounters with them while I was growing up on a farm. So I am hesitant to even consider them.

At least now I have a starting point ! :):)

With respect, I wouldn't add Stretton. Very small lots with large houses. The houses are nearly all double story and stretch the full width of the lots, with tiny front yards, and there is very little variation in building style, size, or orientation. They look like they're all the same house with different options. :(

Driving along the streets around The Parkway, the houses feel oppressively large, and like the people have spent so much on the pretentious house that they could only afford a postage stamp sized lot to put it on. :eek:

Sorry ruroshin - obviously you like Stretton. :eek: No hard feelings, hey? :)

no hard feelings, I don't have any attachment to Stretton :) I just thought I through it out there as one of those suburbs with huge price difference with its neighbours. 500sqm land in Stretton go for around mid $400K while the next suburb with the same postcode Calamvale you can get 700sqm for mid $200K. Its nothing great about it just the name of the place pushes up the price.

Back