Brisbane suburbs?

Hi guys,

I will be flying down to Brisbane in a couple of weeks to check out some suburbs in invest in. My price range is between $400k-$600k and will be holding for the long term. Would prefer houses, however I don't mind units and townhouses in small complexes. People seem to be talking up the northern suburbs such as Chermside, Zillmere, Nundah and Everton Park which all seem to be in my price range.

I would appreciate peoples thoughts with which suburbs I should visit just so I can narrow down my search as I will only be in Brisbane for three days.

Cheers :)

In that price range you could afford something with future development potential. A 600m2 block of land that is located within 200m of 2000m2 of Centre Zoned Land.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plan...risbane-city-plan-2014/city-plan-2014-mapping

You can subdivide into minimum 300m2 lots with 7.5m width. The new plan only comes in on Monday and it is not translating to prices yet. Even if you don't want to develop in the future, having a block that appeals to developers and investors and home owners can't hurt.

In that price range you could afford something with future development potential. A 600m2 block of land that is located within 200m of 2000m2 of Centre Zoned Land.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plan...risbane-city-plan-2014/city-plan-2014-mapping

You can subdivide into minimum 300m2 lots with 7.5m width. The new plan only comes in on Monday and it is not translating to prices yet. Even if you don't want to develop in the future, having a block that appeals to developers and investors and home owners can't hurt.

Hi RPI - is this now the final approved planning scheme or is this just another draft? I had a quick look and couldnt see.

Thanks!

Final. It starts Monday 30 June. If you apply now it will be assessed under the new scheme anyway.

Thanks Rixter. Why do you suggest these areas?

Sewelly, with your budget I would be aiming a bit higher than the suburbs you mentioned. Reality is you are looking at city style suburbs about 10 - 15 k out

With your budget you could easily target 5 - 8k. I think it will make a massive difference over the mid term
Cg wise

Over 500k is the magic mark in Brisbane. You start to get a lot better value for money as the buyers arnt as thick. You would be surprised with what you could buy in Brisbane for 500k compared to 400k. The market there is imperfect

In melbourne and Sydney you don't hit that value range until you reach a mill!

Inner Brisbane is still good buying even if it has had growth already.

Or you could buy a dev block further out - I would look for a block you can build 3 or 4 units on

Thanks for the comments. I suppose with quality suburbs you should always see constant long term CG. Houses 5-8 km from city in the $500k price range may require some cosmetic renos which I don't mind doing.

Thanks for the comments. I suppose with quality suburbs you should always see constant long term CG. Houses 5-8 km from city in the $500k price range may require some cosmetic renos which I don't mind doing.

If I had the cash that is exactly what I would be doing

Brisbane still has great renovators close to the CBD, in 5 - 10 years they won't exist, guaranteed

any idea roughly what % of this opportunity exist in BCC? seems to be rare as hen's teeth

Eggs across two baskets

With $600K you might be able to secure two properties.

For example, you may chose to buy something within the Logan council area (which has both CG prospects and strong yield), and perhaps something up toward Morayfield or the Redcliffe peninsula.

This combination might allow you to diversify risk, improve overall yield, catch and still capture good CGT. You could probably get something with development potential to boot!

Whilst buying a single $600k property isn't a bad thing, you're maximising the pool of potential buyers with a cheaper property (as obviously more people can afford a $300k property than $600k).

My thoughts anyway

With $600K you might be able to secure two properties.

For example, you may chose to buy something within the Logan council area (which has both CG prospects and strong yield), and perhaps something up toward Morayfield or the Redcliffe peninsula.

This combination might allow you to diversify risk, improve overall yield, catch and still capture good CGT. You could probably get something with development potential to boot!

Whilst buying a single $600k property isn't a bad thing, you're maximising the pool of potential buyers with a cheaper property (as obviously more people can afford a $300k property than $600k).

My thoughts anyway

I would generally agree with what you said but I think Brisbane is a special case where the inner suburbs are quite undervalued

The 500 - 600 k properties under 8k from CBD on 600sqm blocks would be worth say 1.5 - 2 mill in Sydney or even melbourne

The 300k properties in Logan, rough area about 20 - 25 km out would be worth say 450 in Sydney?? And still only 300 in melbourne

If you were going to use the strategy mentioned you would be best of going redcliffe peninsula- it will only become more popular and there is no more land left in the area to develop

Back