Brisbane suburbs?

I would generally agree with what you said but I think Brisbane is a special case where the inner suburbs are quite undervalued

The 500 - 600 k properties under 8k from CBD on 600sqm blocks would be worth say 1.5 - 2 mill in Sydney or even melbourne

Can you please list some of the suburbs falling under the 8k radius from CBD?

Can someone please recommend a decent property manager for Brisbane northern suburbs ? (Arana Hills and Kedron)

thanks

Can someone please recommend a decent property manager for Brisbane northern suburbs ? (Arana Hills and Kedron)

thanks
I've been fairly disappointed in pm in Brisbane actually, even with an agency that came highly recommended from the forum.

P

We also went with manly , wynnum late last year . Picked up a couple of townhouses close to the water in low 400's and a waterfront unit in low 500's .

While lots of people in Brisbane discount the bay in favour of the city , we really liked the area . Manly has a fast train to the city .

There seem to be a lot of city centric people on the forum but in " real life " many of the Brisbane people I've met really like the bay suburbs .

While the Redcliffe peninsular is nice as well , it's a lot further from the city even though the train is finally being built .

Personally I have more affiliation with waterfront suburbs than land locked suburbs so that's why we went with manly wynnum . If we were looking for higher returns than what we have , I would have gone to wynnum west .

We were looking for nice properties in a nice areas , hassle , free long term investments .

We bought in Logan ( 7 houses ) in the last cycle and made good capital growth , but even though the gross returns were > 10% with high maintenance , problematic tenants , we were rarely if ever cash flow positive .......

Cliff

In that price range you could afford something with future development potential. A 600m2 block of land that is located within 200m of 2000m2 of Centre Zoned Land.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plan...risbane-city-plan-2014/city-plan-2014-mapping

You can subdivide into minimum 300m2 lots with 7.5m width. The new plan only comes in on Monday and it is not translating to prices yet. Even if you don't want to develop in the future, having a block that appeals to developers and investors and home owners can't hurt.

Are DC1 and DC2 zones Centre Zoned Land?

We didn't look at Manly West that closely . I think it depends on the individual street etc . At the time we were looking I though Wynuum West offered better value in terms of nice properties with good returns . If we'd bought more , that was where we would have bought , but we started getting wary about our overall exposure to the market and decided not to buy any more at that stage .

Cliff

Are DC1 and DC2 zones Centre Zoned Land?

Certainly are. They are my favourite zones also. There is a lot of land around that went from 3 storey with 60%GFA to 5 storey podium in the DC zones. Multiple increase in intensity. Great bargains to pick up, however it there are a lot less people who are comfortable (or able) doing a 5 storey 20-30 unit development than would have done the 6-8 before. Not sure that it will lead to an oversupply that some people are concerned with.

We are doing the legals on 3 x 5 storey developments (30-50 units each block) next door to each other in one suburb alone. But this in a real development hub at the moment and we are only about to hit pre-sales on the 1st one so will be interesting to see how they go.

We didn't look at Manly West that closely . I think it depends on the individual street etc . At the time we were looking I though Wynuum West offered better value in terms of nice properties with good returns . If we'd bought more , that was where we would have bought , but we started getting wary about our overall exposure to the market and decided not to buy any more at that stage .

Cliff

Thanks, I will have a look at Wynuum west. The street I was looking at Manly west was Radford street.

We also went with manly , wynnum late last year . Picked up a couple of townhouses close to the water in low 400's and a waterfront unit in low 500's .

While lots of people in Brisbane discount the bay in favour of the city , we really liked the area . Manly has a fast train to the city .

There seem to be a lot of city centric people on the forum but in " real life " many of the Brisbane people I've met really like the bay suburbs .

While the Redcliffe peninsular is nice as well , it's a lot further from the city even though the train is finally being built .

Personally I have more affiliation with waterfront suburbs than land locked suburbs so that's why we went with manly wynnum . If we were looking for higher returns than what we have , I would have gone to wynnum west .

We were looking for nice properties in a nice areas , hassle , free long term investments .

We bought in Logan ( 7 houses ) in the last cycle and made good capital growth , but even though the gross returns were > 10% with high maintenance , problematic tenants , we were rarely if ever cash flow positive .......

Cliff

hi Cliff

i've only briefly been to Brisbane once and had a look around the redcliffe peninsula, we just didn't have the time to look around manly, wynnum and cleveland. just wondering if you could comment on the following:

1. manly vs wynnum
2. which of the suburbs are swimming beaches

hi Cliff

i've only briefly been to Brisbane once and had a look around the redcliffe peninsula, we just didn't have the time to look around manly, wynnum and cleveland. just wondering if you could comment on the following:

1. manly vs wynnum

Manly , more established , upmarket . Trendy caf?s near the water . We bought a town house in Kingsley st which is very close to shops . Low 4's

Swimming ? What's that ? :eek: I'm a boating person :D I'm happy to stay on top of the water .

Manly has what is apparently the biggest marina in the Southern Hemisphere . That is the attraction there . Had a dinner in the sailing club . Nice meal .

Cliff

Last edited:
Certainly are. They are my favourite zones also. There is a lot of land around that went from 3 storey with 60%GFA to 5 storey podium in the DC zones. Multiple increase in intensity. Great bargains to pick up, however it there are a lot less people who are comfortable (or able) doing a 5 storey 20-30 unit development than would have done the 6-8 before. Not sure that it will lead to an oversupply that some people are concerned with.

We are doing the legals on 3 x 5 storey developments (30-50 units each block) next door to each other in one suburb alone. But this in a real development hub at the moment and we are only about to hit pre-sales on the 1st one so will be interesting to see how they go.

Fantastic. I have an IP on a 607 sqm block that looks like it is within 200m of DC zoned land.

hi Cliff

1. manly vs wynnum

None of them are swimming beaches.. Redcliffe down to Redland Bay is not for swimming. Which in my opinion is the primary reason the suburbs haven't taken off as much as Sydneysiders think they should.

Manly at low tide..
254747122_c89daa1045.jpg

Gold Coast any day of the week..
broadbeach-gold-coast-(4).jpg

Paddling at my beach at Scarborough (Redcliffe Peninsula) on a sunny day. The British like it.

Attachments

• SDC12117.JPG
    SDC12117.JPG
    688.4 KB · Views: 91
None of them are swimming beaches.. Redcliffe down to Redland Bay is not for swimming. Which in my opinion is the primary reason the suburbs haven't taken off as much as Sydneysiders think they should.

Manly at low tide..
254747122_c89daa1045.jpg

Gold Coast any day of the week..
broadbeach-gold-coast-(4).jpg

Scarborough Qld has quite a nice swimming beach though... can't say the say for DBay

The beaches on the bay aren't as nice as sydney , Gold Coast or even north arm cove , but the reality is that not everyone wants to go to a surf beach .

If you look at sydney , the most expensive waterfront properties are next to calm water place that most people wouldn't swim in.

The walk along manly / wynnum foreshore is nice and popular .

Interestingly a lot of the people we met in manly ( bris ) were from sydney and they seem to like it or had lived there all their lives and didn't want to leave it ....

Cliff

I would suggest you focus your search on the Redcliff/Kipparing area.

There is still indecision on how much, if any, the new rail line will improve growth prospects, but in my opinion (and recent market activity), it would be my pick of the outer northern suburbs.

With all the new infrastructure planned, and already happening in the pennisular, it is a safe bet for capital growth. I would suggest you buy in the Clontarf/Margate areas and try to get as close to the waterfront as your price point allows.

The rental yield may not be great at the moment, but I believe that capital growth to be gained will outweigh the lower rental factor until it really picks up there.

The walk along manly / wynnum foreshore is nice and popular .

Interestingly a lot of the people we met in manly ( bris ) were from sydney and they seem to like it or had lived there all their lives and didn't want to leave it ....

Cliff

Cliff

i was in the peninsula over easter and would have to agree with you. the bayside lifestyle is simply awesome and one does have the best of both worlds. close to the water and yet also close to the CBD. just don't drink the water in Qld haha just kidding.

Back