Brisbane surely is a bargain.

I had a realtor call me yesterday to tell me they had not had any offers on the property and would I please put in an offer at 20 percent below the asking price. This was followed two hours later by a call from another realtor about a house I viewed four months ago saying it was still for sale, they were dropping the price by 160k and would I be interested.

I have seen a house sell for (slightly) less than it sold for in 2004. That even surprised me in my current bear like state. Perhaps they horribly overpaid in 2004 - hard for me to judge from this distance. Or maybe it's all rainbows and lollipops after the 50 basis point cut. But I doubt it.

I think it's more a change of mentality. People were previously prepared to stretch themselves on serviceability because prices kept going up and up. Now that nexus has been broken and inflation tamed people are staring down the barrel of what it really means to pay off a 700k PPOR loan in a non inflationary environment instead of just allowing it to inflate away.

Last edited:
I had a realtor call me yesterday to tell me they had not had any offers on the property and would I please put in an offer at 20 percent below the asking price. This was followed two hours later by a call from another realtor about a house I viewed four months ago saying it was still for sale, they were dropping the price by 160k and would I be interested.

Boomtown where are these properties you speak of? I just spent over a month trying to buy something in inner Brisbane and and from what i could tell, anything reasonably priced was getting snapped up quickly. Its not dead in Brisbane - at least from a Sydneysider's point of view.

I'm PPOR hunting not IP hunting at the moment so neither property is "reasonably" priced from a IP point of view. One is a four bed in Windsor the other a four bed in Woolowin. To be fair I am really referring to the top end of the market not a brick and tile in Logan.

Originally listed at $1,630,000 now listed at $1,460,000.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-windsor-108554006

Then this one sold for $1,545,000 in 2004 and $1,530,000 in 2009. It's back up for sale and I think they will struggle to achieve that.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-northgate-110356301

Like I said not IP territory.

2nd one first went on the market ..... wait for it..... 183 days ago.
Dwight (the irrepressible REA) has told me personally, he knows nothing about credit cycles; so his idea of 1.5m of value in these times might be weighed against that, in addition to cheaper listings in much better precincts with at least one well run cafe.

Well, there's 5 pages of stuff in 4030 under $800k tonight HG.
Are you hanging out for 7% gross yield mate?

Yes Sly, I was looking for potential to get it up to or beyond that yield and /or splitter blocks. Houses with the downstairs area built in were a contender with/without legal height. I obviously wasn't alone on that front. Regular houses with 3-4% return were dime a dozen but again, if it was fairly priced, they walked within days.

2nd one first went on the market ..... wait for it..... 183 days ago.
Dwight (the irrepressible REA) has told me personally, he knows nothing about credit cycles; so his idea of 1.5m of value in these times might be weighed against that, in addition to cheaper listings in much better precincts with at least one well run cafe.
I think from the way it's starting to slide in some areas,it would be very hard to value anything in inner Brisbane,north or south of the muddy river,one street in
this area 2 houses both of the people i know ,the agents quoted them for one 1.3 mill,the other 600k,both same land sqm's,the 600k went for 550k within 12 days cash contract,they paid in the 70k range in 1998,the other one the guy paid 620k 5 years ago,spent over 300k on the house 2 levels dual kitchens
4 bathrooms,6 bedrooms,very upmarket,went to auction and the banks were asking questions so he had to sell,sold on the auctionday for just under 900k
just goes to show if you hold long enough and time it right it does pay off..

Back