Brisbane surely is a bargain.

Albion is a hot spot, according to some commentators. It is only 3 km to CBD with plenty of upside. 5 minute train ride into city.

I know a developer who has just bought a site in Lutwyche. He thinks that we have bottomed out in Brisbane.

apparently there will be a wollies or coles in the retail part of the mill development further down the track which i think is all albion is missing.

it depends on which university.

There is also the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) which has campuses at Gardens Point (very close to CBD), Kelvin Grove and Caboolture. Most inner suburbs would be ideal places to buy properties for this university. Houses in Caboolture are very cheap as it is on the outskirts of Brisbane.

The free shuttle bus that goes between the two QUT city campuses takes 10 to 15 minutes.

There is a bus way that brings buses from Gympie Rd (Chermside, Kedron, Lutwyche) straight to the RBH and QUT KG campus. The bus route along KelvinGrove Road into the city from Newmarket, Enoggera and Everton Park stops outside the KG campus .

I would avoid Caboolture Uni catchment for a future investment house because the campus there seems to be rolling back rather than expanding. The faculties my boys have attended or investigated, it no longer offers classes (we looked about a month ago). The situation used to be that you did one year at Caboolture then automatically transferred to Kelvin Grove or G'Point.

Gardens Pt and St Lucia are both on the ferry routes.

Last edited:
I probably am not much help because I only know our own area well. Two sons have gone to QUT, very quick from Coorproo/Greenslopes/Holland Park (where we live). Getting to UQ St Lucia is not so easy, but a ten minute walk to Old Cleveland Road gets you to public transport that gets there. The boys over the road to the UQ and drive themselves down the road to get to the bus. They could walk but are too lazy :p.

Lots of good suggestions already given, so I'll not try to pretend I know too much about other areas.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. We live in a regional area at the moment where hubby is based for work. We have 3 children and our eldest is just entering high school - it's a lovely place to raise a family but doesn't offer much in regards to further education, training, jobs, etc for the kids once they finish school. We've always assumed that we'd have to assist them financially and help pay for their accomodation should they go to Uni, TAFE/apprenticeship, etc in a capital city (which will coincide with the time hubby is due to retire) so we've got the idea to buy a property now and move into it when that time comes.

Unfortunately the rental yields for houses in Brisbane don't look so wonderful - although, as a lot of guess-work is involved in this early stage of our search (re how much to pay for a house and how much it would achieve in rent), we could be wrong about that?

We're liking Hawthorne, Paddington, Kelvin Grove and maybe Hamilton as well as the ones I listed in an earlier post.

Cheers. :)

Unfortunately the rental yields for houses in Brisbane don't look so wonderful - although, as a lot of guess-work is involved in this early stage of our search (re how much to pay for a house and how much it would achieve in rent), we could be wrong about that?

Hiya

Just had an offer accepted in Brisbane gross yield 11.3%....demand for rentals are strong and vendors very malleable.....good time to buy....i negotiated a 23% drop in asking price.....

Vendors bought in 2007 and "made" 8000 dollars since then:eek:

Thanks again to everyone for your input. We live in a regional area at the moment where hubby is based for work. We have 3 children and our eldest is just entering high school - it's a lovely place to raise a family but doesn't offer much in regards to further education, training, jobs, etc for the kids once they finish school. We've always assumed that we'd have to assist them financially and help pay for their accomodation should they go to Uni, TAFE/apprenticeship, etc in a capital city (which will coincide with the time hubby is due to retire) so we've got the idea to buy a property now and move into it when that time comes.

We're liking Hawthorne, Paddington and maybe Hamilton as well as the ones I listed in an earlier post.

Cheers. :)

In terms of catering for some of the biggest uni campuses in Brisbane, I love my area, middle ring south - Tarragindi/Greenslopes/Annerley/Holland Park west. I lived at home during uni and my family all marvelled at how the location suited all of us - I went to UQ St Lucia and my sisters went to QUT Gardens point and Griffith Nathan, respectively.

From Tarragindi:
- Easy 10/15 min bus ride to the city for QUT (local buses or busway)
- 10 min bus ride to Griffith Nathan (local buses)
- 5 min ride to Griffith Mt Gravatt (Greenslopes or Holland Park west busway)
- less than 10 min trip to UQ lakes (from busway).... or a 5 min bus ride to Buranda busway then another 5 min bus to UQ lakes.... or a 10 min bus ride to Dutton park plus a 10 minute walk across the Schonell Bridge. To be completely honest, it is quicker for me to get a bus from Tarragindi to UQ than from Taringa to UQ.
- 15 minutes drive gets you to all of those campuses, plus Kelvin Grove.

I think it's an area that is overlooked for its convenience - the buses are so good, even in areas that aren't close to the busway. House prices are a lot lower too, compared to areas that are similar distance to the city (6-8km). In the last year I heard Holland Park mentioned a few times as the best performing suburb in Brisbane, and that doesn't surprise me at all.

Hiya

Just had an offer accepted in Brisbane gross yield 11.3%....demand for rentals are strong and vendors very malleable.....good time to buy....i negotiated a 23% drop in asking price.....

2007 is the key year for prices as Brisbane did 19%+ that year, sellers can't achieve 2007 prices in many cases, though this is area specific and inner city has held up much better, we have bought at 2003 prices in areas which is not that great for the people selling.

This yield is a per room deal? Even for that type of property it's very high so interested in more details when/if you can share. PM if you like. Congratulations by the way!

Sydney and Melbourne premiums to Brisbane

Sydney and Melbourne buyers in particular are impressed with Brisbane at the moment, the blue line is the relative difference between Brisbane/Melbourne and Brisbane and the green line is historic forward 5 yearly returns.

The logic behind this pattern is that immigration is mainly into Sydney and Melbourne and migration is mainly north to SEQ and Brisbane from the south, when the price differential is considerable there is a strong monetary incentive to move to Brisbane.

Sydney v Brisbane housing premium
sydneypremium2121-300x195.jpg

larger pic

Melbourne v Brisbane housing premium
melbournepremium212-300x196.jpg

larger pic

Brisbane

2007 is the key year for prices as Brisbane did 19%+ that year, sellers can't achieve 2007 prices in many cases, though this is area specific and inner city has held up much better, we have bought at 2003 prices in areas which is not that great for the people selling.

This yield is a per room deal? Even for that type of property it's very high so interested in more details when/if you can share. PM if you like. Congratulations by the way!

Hi Andrew

Yay, the kind of yields make for salivating compared to Sydney......i think i am cash flow positive by 100 a week:p

And the previous 2007 deal was a transfer between related parties so go figure...$8000 profit shared between 3 owners:eek:

You mention buying at 2003 prices; that is incredible....i was sniffing around in Brisbane in 2007 but try as i may, just can't make the numbers work...i am glad i was patient and waited....i am trying to be contrarian but hey! at those yields, i just scratch my head...

will share details once deal is completed:p

Brisbane is good buying at the moment. However, future growth may be limited until bank funding eases.

I forsee the market stabalising and followed by inflationary growth similar to what we saw between 1989 to 2000.

I do not see any buy signals in the outer suburbs so more pain for sellers in these suburbs. So if you are an owner occupier just stay put and it out if you can.

Brisbane is good buying at the moment. However, future growth may be limited until bank funding eases.

I forsee the market stabalising and followed by inflationary growth similar to what we saw between 1989 to 2000.

I do not see any buy signals in the outer suburbs so more pain for sellers in these suburbs. So if you are an owner occupier just stay put and it out if you can.
Sailesh you might well be correct with this guess about future growth, and this scenario is entirely acceptable for investors, even welcome, in my opinion. It's still one excellent market for upgraders who are considering changing their PPOR by the way.

Keep in mind the recent strong growth of rents over CPI, combine this with a 1990's environment of growth and that's a scenario you can definitely work with as a residential property investor.

Congratulations on your purchase!

The rental expectations in Brisbane have me totally confused. I'm seeing beautiful houses in inner city suburbs asking the likes of just $650 pw in rent but I'm also seeing (what look like) equally beautiful houses in the same suburbs (with same number of bedrooms, bathrooms, car spaces, condition, etc) for over $1000 :confused:. Our trip to Brissie to chat to a few people and inspect some houses in-person can't come soon enough!

Congratulations on your purchase!

The rental expectations in Brisbane have me totally confused. I'm seeing beautiful houses in inner city suburbs asking the likes of just $650 pw in rent but I'm also seeing (what look like) equally beautiful houses in the same suburbs (with same number of bedrooms, bathrooms, car spaces, condition, etc) for over $1000 :confused:. Our trip to Brissie to chat to a few people and inspect some houses in-person can't come soon enough!

Some of the high yields are achieved through room letting. If you are close to a university then letting rooms out to students can give you a good cash flow.

Sailesh you might well be correct with this guess about future growth, and this scenario is entirely acceptable for investors, even welcome, in my opinion. It's still one excellent market for upgraders who are considering changing their PPOR by the way.

Keep in mind the recent strong growth of rents over CPI, combine this with a 1990's environment of growth and that's a scenario you can definitely work with as a residential property investor.

Yield in the '90s was very good yet investors avoided property during that period. However, there is a greater awareness about investing now so I expect more investors will be drawn to the good yields on offer combined with a low interest rate environment.

The prolonged flat period in the '90 was the result of a double dip recession and general reluctance from local buyers and investors to enter the Brisbane market. The smart interstate investors who have witnessed growth in Sydney and Melbourne from the mid '90 was happy to buy in Brisbane due to its relative affordability.

Naturally, every property cycle is different and you have to assess the various macro and micro economic factors while trying to forcast.

I do agree that now is a great time to start looking to enter the market and for the long term investor who intends to hold for over a 10 year period or more the miniscule gains from trying to pick the absolute bottom will be negligable.

Good day again folks,

I wrote in this thread a while ago but our circumstances have changed.

So here is the story: we are a proffessional couple looking to buy a PPOR with a view to turn it into an investment property couple of years down the track. I currently work in Lawnton, my wife works in the Brisbane CBD, but she occassionaly needs to work on the south side or even as far as Gold Coast.

So we are looking at a place close to the CBD, either south or north side, ideally walking distance to a train station. We want at least a 2br place and a garage, preferably with parking for two cars availalble.

I am happy with an apartment as long as it is in a blue chip location with prospects of future growth.

Any ideas/suggestions? So far had a look at Lutwyche, good point is the location, bad point is the lack of "street lie" such as cafe's etc.

Also the price point for nice units is quite high relative to the expected yield.

I would like to hear your suggestions, general thoughts on buying a PPOR as a first home buyer with 20% deposit and a decent income, or alternative strategies.

Maybe we should be continuing to rent and buy an investment instead?

Thank you

Hiya

What suburb was this in?

It can be hard to tell from the photos but there should be a huge difference in fit and a finish between a $650 4 bed 1 bath in an inner suburb and a $1000 4 bed 3 bath in the same suburb. The former is unlikely to have modern bathrooms and kitchen and probably has a single carport. If word charming is used in the ad it is a dead give away. The latter should be a full ground up renovation to modern standards eg air on to all bedrooms, room for double fridge, lock up double side by side garage. Expect to see the word executive in the ad.

That doesn't mean that some owners do not have crazy expectations but those properties just sit empty and dont rent.

Brisbane Property Prices: March 2012
Houses: $428,665
Units: $349,860

5 years in the wilderness.. Are we in a 1990's redux or something different?

The topicality of this data is somewhat reduced by the new daily index from RPdata, not convinced about that index yet so will stick with the Residex data which I consider to be excellent and high quality.. and free.

bris12mar-300x203.jpg

larger pic

Back