Brisbane- Surveyor or Town Planner ??

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a good surveyor or town planner farmiliar with the Brisbane city council that performs initial site assessments and have been more then handy when carrying out a subdivision.

Thanks in advance...

QL :)

We have used Peter Leite to do some surveys in the past and been very happy with his work and his cost. He was referred to us by an architect whose firm uses him.

His details are -
Leite Surveys, 161 Banks St Alderley 4051, (07) 3856 4017
[email protected]

I have used a town planner and will post his details later as I will have to fish them out.

Wylie

Hi all,

We have today just secured a property in Brisbane. It's a house on 2 lots, single title. I need to engage the services of a town planner to see if the block is subdivideable, and whether the existing house can be moved within the property, removed from the property, or demolished altogether.

On wylie's recommendation above to Quick Learner I will contact Peter Leite, however is anyone else able to suggest a town planner in Brisbane who might be able to assist me ASAP?

Also, if anyone has feedback on a situation similar to myself (i.e subdividing with 2 lots on a single title in Brisbane) then I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Adam.

If in Ipswich City Council..

Hey AdamN,

If your property is part of the Ipswich City council I can reccomend -
Baird & Hayes Surveying - Peter Henry ph: 07 3812 2076
He is a surveyor and very experienced, he will be able to detirmine what you can and cant do as far as the block size, acceptable building envelope and house size is concerned and be able to give you a rough idea of cost. For exact costing of moving the house you would probably need to ask a house removalist.

Id be interested in knowing what sort of distance your looking to move the house and what approx figure you come up with and the process involved (do they re-stump the house etc).

Good Luck.

Jarrad

The town planner we saw late last year is Mark Kierpal 3118 0600. I don't remember his company's name but he is in Milton in the old Union Shopper building (you may know it, but if not, it is tucked in behind Suncorp Stadium, so quite central to both sides of the river).

He was really helpful. We didn't go ahead with what we discussed at the time, but when we do, we will definitely go back to him.

Wylie

your suggestion

UC, regarding your suggestion to use TONG, can you advise in what capacity did you use him in and how many devs? Not trying to be nosy but I have used some town planners in Brisbane (i am a developer based in sydney) and they havent been to my standards.

I ask because I have seen TONG submit numerous DA's however what scared me was a DA in Nundah (maybe yours :)) it was overdeveloped by about 100% and council months later stated the obvious i.e. it was overdeveloped and found it stranged that a town planner could be so wrong?

I know we should push the envelope but thats getting rid of the envelope alltogether just wont fly.

Anyways hope you can shed some light... specifically;

a) is he commanding? i.e. does he seem very knowledagble and tell you "this is the way" i hate when professionals keep asking for my input at every step.

b) is he on time? I hate when people are off by more than a day.

c) is he contactable?

sorry for the list of questions but a town planner is very important during feas stage of a new project.

thanks in advance.

Ian Tong is VERY good...

tong town planning - http://www.ttplanning.com.au a lot of our developer clients go through him.

he is fairly busy, but give him a try anyway!!

cheers
UC

Hi, I'll try and answer your Q's as best i can...

As an REA my direct involvement with him extends to to the odd phone call that i or my associate make to him to ask for town planning info beyond our knowledge when marketing or trying to list a development site...I haven't used him for a development yet, but i probably will when i get that far given his propensity to answering our questions in the past. As per my comment, a lot of my developer clients use him and they all like his work - my suggestion of him is based on what i have been told from other developers and the conversations our office has had with him - rule one, do some DD on him too if you are consdering him. Unfortunately i do not know of the nundah development of which you speak - something sounds amiss there :eek: (actually shame on me for not knowing, I must find out now - could you PM me the address?? Save me ringing developers :))

I certainly understand your concerns, having sold a lot of property for developers i do hear a lot of the goss over planners and architects etc. there are a few out there who have been caught napping of late (will remain nameless - not my place to shame them.) Actually i might encourage you to ring TTP yourself and question them over the nundah dev. I'd be interested in the response...i will make some enquiries of my own as well and email you if there is anything worthwhile.

to directly respond to your three main Q's

a) I have found him very "commanding" he certainly knows his stuff and he certainly understands a lot of the grey areas that a lot of others seem to struggle with...envelope pushing??:D Saying that, I haven't had them do a dev for me so my dealings are slightly different. Clients of ours are happy though.

b) can't personally comment, he is certainly a busy man as i stated so timing wise i can only say that he does get a lot of work. But have heard no complaints from those mutual clients.

c) Yes, he has always rung us back fairly quickly if he couldn't take the call when we ring.

I hope this helps some, happy to try and answer more if needed. Your (and anyone else's) questions are always welcome...

cheers
UC

p.s. How is Chermside going?? have been following the D/A (We spoke a few times last year about the sales - I think i emailed you early this year too. Will send you another if you like so you know who i am).

UC, regarding your suggestion to use TONG, can you advise in what capacity did you use him in and how many devs? Not trying to be nosy but I have used some town planners in Brisbane (i am a developer based in sydney) and they havent been to my standards.

I ask because I have seen TONG submit numerous DA's however what scared me was a DA in Nundah (maybe yours :)) it was overdeveloped by about 100% and council months later stated the obvious i.e. it was overdeveloped and found it stranged that a town planner could be so wrong?

I know we should push the envelope but thats getting rid of the envelope alltogether just wont fly.

Anyways hope you can shed some light... specifically;

a) is he commanding? i.e. does he seem very knowledagble and tell you "this is the way" i hate when professionals keep asking for my input at every step.

b) is he on time? I hate when people are off by more than a day.

c) is he contactable?

sorry for the list of questions but a town planner is very important during feas stage of a new project.

thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Ian Tong was out of the office when I called. Peter Henry said it was a job that he could normally do however he could not take it on now during tax time as he was quite busy. So I have gone with Mark Kierpal. I spoke to Mark yesterday and he seemed to know what he was talking about and what was required of the job. He is supposed to be reverting to me early this week with the results of his investigation. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Adam.

i love how a thread is 4 years old, then you get someone registering, and their 1st and only post is a recommendation to a particular firm/company, on the same date they join the forum.

I smell a rat.

Back