Broadband packages?

Just wondering what some good broadband deals people may be on. Im currently on ISDN as broadband wasnt available here at the time but it is now. Im forever using my allocated amounts on this plan of 500meg. Looking at a broadband plan of say 2gb or so.

Seems telstra have a plan for the $60 mark and then soul have a few worth considering which are cheaper but there is the install cost etc to consider. Just wondering what others are paying. Dont really want to pay more than $40/mth.

Jayro

This is Australia.

Half the undeveloped world are ahead of us on broadband.

There are no good deals.

Smoke signals work best in the bush anyway!

Cheers
Saffa

This is an invaluable research tool for internet in Australia: http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

With broadband, it's not as simple - unfortunately - as choosing by the numbers (ie speeds and download limits). Poor customer service can mean that a "cheap" plan becomes a very poor bargain. So use Whirlpool's plan search feature to narrow down to the providers who provide good value plans for your situation at http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm, and then visit the forums and see what other users are saying about their satisfaction (or otherwise) with that company.

Good luck!

Optus for me

But they are all pretty poor - tried Telstra, Optus and a few others - they basically do not deliver what they promise. You never get the top end speed anyway.

Good luck hun
Alexandra

With internet it seems the bigger the name, the worse the service and the more it costs. Forget Telsta and Optus - you'd be nuts to go with them (unless you can only get cable then you have no choice......).

As pointed out www.whirlpool.net.au is a good place to look for user feedback. Companies like internode, westnet etc should look after you.

It really depends on your location

having isdn previously suggests you may not be able to get adsl so there might be some subsidy's to help get you connected

Otherwise i can recommend internode for service (ADSL)
or TPG for price but less service (ADSL)

or if your in a city location you may be able to get ADSL2

Whirlpool rocks - Internode

This is an invaluable research tool for internet in Australia: http://www.whirlpool.net.au/
/

Totally agree, I used whirlpool to find my internet plan and It was spot on in selecting the product I needed.

I use "Internode" (www.internode.on.net) by the way, its an Adelaide based company but runs the service aust wide never had an outage and have always been happy with the line speed, and customer service has been prompt and precise.

Just for the record I don't have any affiliation with Internode and am not making any financial benefit from recommending their services lol.

Cheers

I've just signed up for Optus Fusion 79. The $79 per month includes cable broadband, unlimited local calls, unlimited national calls and free calls to all Optus mobiles. Compared to Telstra, I save at least $60 a month.

It's not available in all parts of Brisbane. However it's a great feeling that I can ring up local and national numbers without worrying about the cost.

Another vote for Internode from me. Really reliable service and great customer support for any silly questions we sometimes have. :)

2Gb for $60 is for Bigpond users only, there are many better deals about the place and those guiding you to whirlpool.net.au and their Broadband Choice page are spot on.

Also long contracts are bad, the broadband market is always evolving with cheaper/better services.

Andrew

p.s. Internode free radio streams are great!!

Another vote for Internode from me.

And from me too. I have been using them for more than 2 years and consistently have been able to get around 40gb per month every month, all for around $90 (Don't tell the movie studios).

Customer service waiting times might be considered poor by some (20 mins on hold sometimes). Lucky I've only had to call them a few times in 2 years.

Thanks for the replies. Yes we can get broadband here now. It was previously only posible to get ISDN but since a few new estates have gone in here on Lake Macqaurie broadband is now available.

I will do a search on the sites mentioned and go from there. That optus package is certainly appealing to. I will use the whirlpool search and see how I go. Very interesting. Thanks.

Jayro

I've just signed up for Optus Fusion 79. The $79 per month includes cable broadband, unlimited local calls, unlimited national calls and free calls to all Optus mobiles. Compared to Telstra, I save at least $60 a month.

It's not available in all parts of Brisbane. However it's a great feeling that I can ring up local and national numbers without worrying about the cost.

Optus will also for the first time count both uploads and downloads in the users' monthly data quota, something done by few other Australian ISPs.
Excess Charges are $150 a Gigabyte I have read.......is that true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optus will also for the first time count both uploads and downloads in the users' monthly data quota, something done by few other Australian ISPs.
Excess Charges are $150 a Gigabyte I have read.......is that true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point but doesn't affect me as my downlaods average about 1.5G which is easily within their allowance of 2G.

If you plan to download more than 2G you would choose their Fusion 99 or Fusion 119 plans. I still think that they are a good deal.

Internode all the way.

I work from home full time and rely 100% on my internet connection - Internode have served me extremely well for the past 5+ years. I also use their NodePhone VoIP product for all my personal and business calls.

We started on Fusion $9 (?) 2GB I think and it ran out in 3 days. Moved up to $79 (?) 4GB I think, and it ran out in under a week.

We are now on Fusion $99 which I think is 20GB and we have not run out. It includes home phone with free local calls and no line rental, so I am saving at least $60 or more each month.

I found the comparison shopping so confusing, it was easier to stay with Optus.

Another vote for Internode. They are reliable, affordable and have several different plans. Not being trapped with a 12-24 month contract is important for me. You will hit with a fee if you leave within the first six months. Helps with managing your budget with a fixed price, no end of month surprises when the invoice arrives. I recommend saving some money by purchasing your own ADSL router/modem for $60-$70 from your local computer store instead of the products available on Internodes website.

Another vote for Internode. They are reliable, affordable and have several different plans. Not being trapped with a 12-24 month contract is important for me. You will hit with a fee if you leave within the first six months. Helps with managing your budget with a fixed price, no end of month surprises when the invoice arrives. I recommend saving some money by purchasing your own ADSL router/modem for $60-$70 from your local computer store instead of the products available on Internodes website.

It costs $555 if you leave the Optus fusion plan before the 24 month contract runs out. I intend to stay long term especially with the free local and national calls. Also no line rentals and free modem. Being cable broadband, it is faster than their phone broadband.

I'd be interested in the level of service that you get with Internode. Many years ago I switched from Telstra to another provider but was so disgusted with their service that I went back to Telstra. So far, I am very happy with Optus' service.

I know this is irrelevent to Aus, but over here there ares no byte limits.

We pay $35 per month for DSL internet and phone here. Unlimited downloads. I can pay more for a faster speed, but it also depends on the computer as well.

Aussies are totally ripped off.

I am with aanet.com.au
I have been with them for about 3 years now and have been very happy with them.
I got chosen as one of 100 people who got to try out the 8meg speeds with a download limit of 20gig. And that was only $49.90.
If they every kick me off I will go back to the 1500/256 speed and 16 GIG downloads at the same price.
I recently joined Mynetfone (VoiP)on their whirlpool plan and extreamly happy with it.
IF you use VoiP for your phone calls I recommend you look at this as it's as cheap as chips!

Just my 2c worth

I'd be interested in the level of service that you get with Internode.

The service is generally excellent in my experience.

They went through a rough patch last year where their explosive growth had them struggling to keep up with the influx of support requests - they were hiring literally dozens of people a month to try and keep up. Normal growing pains really for a company transitioning from a small player to one of the leading "second tier" ISP/Telecommunication companies in Australia and a real alternative to the big boys.

Back