Broken key in lock

We have a key that has snapped in the lock. Any ideas how we can remove the key? It has broken level with the lock, so there is really nothing to grip on to it to get it out.

Take the lock apart, push it out and put it back together again.

Carefully Araldite a piece of wire to the broken part of the key and let it go off, pull it out.

Ive been able to grab it with small long now pliers and/or tweezers.

See if you can find a blade from a small coping saw or similar, slide it in the bottom of the key (teeth facing inwards) and pull it out. the key should (might) come out. A spray of wd40 helps.

Turn a small drill bit into and next the broken key until about an inch in. Pull the bit out and the key should start to come out.

Call a locksmith.

Theres different ways. You havnt stated what type of lock/key it is. that would help.

Thanks for replies.

Lock is the simple push button lock, thank goodness not the deadlock, and thankfully only the garage outside door.

Homecraft Range
Governor 840 PB
Double Deadlock 858 PB

Sorry does not state what brand it is, that is the information that came with house plans.

Hi,

I would take the back off and work from there, pull it to bits (after noting how it goes back together :) ) and then try to push the key back out with something, perhaps a very fine screw driver would do it.

HTH

lol - I did the same thing but with my car key in the boot lock, a couple of years ago.
I've just gotten used to opening the boot with the lever under the front seat.
Maybe I'll try and follow some of this advice.

:)
Caroline

Back