Budget Kitchen Renovation

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2 bdrm unit and I am looking to renovate the kitchen. Can anyone recommend me any good kitchen builders (Sydney Area)? I really am trying to look for someone reasonably cheap (i don't need a IKEA kitchen or anything fancy, just something functioning).

Thanks in advance peoples!

Best budget kitchen reno is where you don't remove the kitchen and just repaint, put new handles on, recover the benchtop and maybe replace some of the appliances. If the structure is ok but the doors are gone I think you can have just those replaced. Or is the whole thing too far gone?

kaf

Thanks for replying kaf.

I have thought about refurbishing it but I believe it is time for the entire thing to go. Most of the bench and pantry cupboards look as if there about to split, and it makes the whole unit look very 1960's.

I'm looking for a builder who can also do some floor tiling along with the kitchen build as a package (for cheaper also).

Thanks!

mmm. The cheapest way is always going to be more input from you.
If your not up to doing any of the physical work but dont mind co-ordinating it.
Then I'd suggest buying the kitchen flat pack or even pre-assembled cabinets and see if you can get a handyman on an hourly rate to install them. Its not that hard and any handyman should be able to do it. You will also need to organise trades yourself. Tiler/Electrician/Plumber to connect the appliance and sink.

http://www.diykitchen.com.au/index.html

These guys are the cheapest I've found for flat pack and delivery. They will also deliver them assembled for a tad extra.
I used to be in the kitchen game and know a few blokes who would cut up board to my cutting list. When I priced it up this DIYKitchen mob were only a couple of dollars more per cabinet so its not really worth sourcing it yourself.

Last kitchen supplier I used was handy Kitchens out at Hoxton Park

In this case it cost me about $1850 delivered -

Floor = pantry 600mm set of draws 450mm corner unit 1100 X 900, under sink 900 and small cupboard 400mm

Wall = Micro wave and 2 door cupboard on top and another 2 door cupboard next to it, together covering 1550.

No top was supplied as I sourced black pearl granite for $66 per metre.

Installed it all ourselves.

I rushed this order as wanted to turn unit over quickly and they supplied cupboards with the Masonite back although in discussions and phone quote it was solid back.:( I will use them again but will be more careful to ensure all is in writing.

The finish was antique white with PVC edging.

A mate used them recently and was charged more. I suspect that in this case they came out to quote and he had no real idea what he wanted.

So I would suggest that you plan out your layout thoroughly as they can quote over the phone. Using this method you have a very good starting point.

Cheers

Given that people don't really expect designer kitchens where I live and I'm in the throes of buying a kitchenless house, I'm intending to get a secondhand kitchen. Someone else has had this idea before me, and they go around collecting second hand kitchens and have a whole shop of them for sale with appliances for about $1-2k each.

If you're a real total cheapskate, trawl the trading post for entire kitchens for sale. I'm sure you'll find some real bargains if you live in a big city, not woop-woop like I do.

Have you looked at the ones in Bunnings. I've only seen them in the catalogues. They look basic but Ok. I guess it depends on th size and shape of the kitchen.
If you are handy you can get cheap kitchens on Ebay but they may require some tweeking.

We bought one for our unit. A bit of mucking around but it saved us thousands.

I used Princes Kitchens in Arncliff for my PPOR. They were very cheap but the quality is fantastic - It was $5500 for my PPOR kitchen white two pac, including granite slabs (you need to get them cut onsite to fit the benchtop) before I started adding extras, additional drawers, better handles, different doors etc. and this was a very big kitchen including three pantries. For a small kitchen in a 2 bedder I would think you could get away with a kitchen under $2000. They have kitchens on ebay so you can get an idea of the pricing, however give them a call and they will custom make it to your specifications with a 7 working day turnaround.

I would then organise your tradies and a handyman to install for you. Don't forget to budget an addition $500 or so to have the granite cut if thats the way you go.

Complete kitchens with accessories under 2k

Hi,

At Affordable Renovating Solutions ( web: www.KitchenUnder2K.com.au ) there are new kitchens including accessories, available for $1,895. Price includes cabinets, gloss benchtops, sink, tap, rangehood, wall tiles and many other accessories.

All cabinets have solid 16mm backings and PVC edges. Drawers are steel, hinges are soft-closing.

Kitchens are versatile and can be arranged in many different configuration. They are flat packed and can be asselmbled for extra fee.

Kitchens are on display in Blacktown (NSW) showroom.

there is pretty cheap for a new kitchen.

i know a builder who imported 6 kitchens for around 2K each with a high gloss finish and soft close drawers etc and installation 1K each.

Thanks sasko. This issue is exactly the question we are asking now, except we are adding a bathroom and tiny laundry to it. Any suggestions. Budget bathroom and laundry places?

Back