Bugger......... Chickenpox :(

i was immunised around 2 years ago - the neighbours kids caught cpox and it was hideous.

they had it all through their hair, inside their noses and inside their eyelids, as well as all over their bodies - she had 4 kids under 8yrs old all in itching pain at the same time. i promptly took junior (3 at the time) and myself down for vacinations ...

Also, has Steve posted today? Maybe not a good sign for him; although it is a lovely day in Adelaide, maybe he has just gone for a walk, a very long walk....

Indeed I did Pushka. Took the puppy for a walk, was too nice for me to be stuck inside all day. Beautiful sight to see walking around the neighbourhood watching the gentrification taking place quicker now than ever. In immediate area I counted three more houses for sale, one about to be demolished, one demolished last week (after settling about 2 weeks ago) and another having the backyard bulldozed for a hammerhead.

Were you run down at the time? That seems to be when shingles takes hold. Oxycontin is hillbilly heroin - I had some when I had some major surgery, and didnt notice anything at all, it wasn't even good at controlling pain

There's more than one cause of shingles, I let a lot of cr@p at work really get to me and it built up anger until a valve blew. Trouble was, when the sores first erupted on the surface, I took myself to the GP and was mis-diagnosed as a staph infection. They say that you minimise the chance of getting Post Herpetic Neuralgia if you get onto the Acyclovir treatment within 72 hours. No chance of that happening if your GP fluffs around for a week. I was in isolation room and the pain was so intense one day, they shot Morphein into me and I went into La La Land for a night. They also give Amitriptyline to control PHN. It tricks the brain into changing the way it processes pain.

JIM

They say that you minimise the chance of getting Post Herpetic Neuralgia if you get onto the Acyclovir treatment within 72 hours.

Yes, hubby was too late for it too! They do seem to reserve it for people who are a bit more frail, although I am sure your case would have justified it. Shingles can erupt at anytime with people who have had an earlier dose of CP; the immune system gets compromised by being run down, etc, and it can take hold from there. In some cases, they also look for cancer because this too can precipitate an attack.

Yeah fine, rash seems to be better and no more have appeared. Think I may head back to work tomorrow. Only reason I've left the last few days is I didn't want to risk it in case I was still infectious, but based on what the write ups say, think I'm past that stage now.

Think I may have had a mild case. Haven't felt sick at all and rashes didn't itch that much, but I was determined not to let them get to me from the beginning, so perhaps that helped as well?

Anyway, great thanks for asking. :)

Hey Steve, did you only get 1 round of blisters? I had 3 waves I think, so sounds like you got out of it easy then. To be honest, if the rashes itch then it isnt a case of mind over matter, because little kids (like my then 10 month old) who have no concept of 'mind over matter stuff' can itch terribly. Maybe you got lucky, some cases are definately worse than others.

Good point Pushka.

Yeah just 1 round, I've been waiting for more to appear, but the few that looked like they were going to never came around. Must have been a mild case as I hardly had any on the rest of my body, just a few on the face and a lot on my head but can't see them because of my hair.

I'm actually now trying to work out whether in a couple months (when it's long gone from my system) I should go and have that immunisation injection anyway? Since this time it's been so mild, it would be possible for me to get it again if I come into contact with it in years to come? Opinion?

I'm actually now trying to work out whether in a couple months (when it's long gone from my system) I should go and have that immunisation injection anyway? Since this time it's been so mild, it would be possible for me to get it again if I come into contact with it in years to come? Opinion?

I believe you can get your immunity tested by blood test, as they do with pregnant women? Just ask your GP nest time your in there...

Cheers, Nadia

Hey Steve, you certainly would have been cooking another batch by now so it seems like you are all done! Maybe you have them mildly before, even as an infant, which meant you didnt get them as badly this time?
Not sure I would bother having the shot; it is probably similar to the flu shot, some people have it done every year, (like my partner who did get the REAL flu once and basically was bedridden, totally, for 2 weeks) or like me, who has never had the shot, but also never had the flu even though my husband still slept in the same bed as me while very sick (says she who has now jinxed herself :eek:)

Thanks for the advice girls.

Didn't have them when I was a kid, even though I was made to hang out with my neice at the time who had them. Anyway, no more talk like that or I'll jinx myself as well! :D

Back