Building a House

Hi everyone,

This is my most ambitious project to date.

But I would like to explore the option of building a house (if the price stacks up) for my PPOR. I would be living there for 6 months and then rent it out - but the sole purpose would basically be to save on stamp duty etc... as in NSW they took away free stamp duty on established homes - the *******s!

So I have been looking at the best option. I need the build under 100k (am trying desperately for 80k.)

I need a 4bdr house with 1 bath and an en suite and a double garage. It needs to be 120sqm internal space.

Option 1 - Steel kit home:
I can source the materials for around 30k to lock up stage - its just the labour involved I am not sure how to cost (or get for the best price.)

What my plan is though is to get it to lock up stage by a builder (so pay for some labour) and then I (and my grandfather - a kitchen maker/carpenter) source the materials cheap and organise the tradies to do the rest of the interior.

This seems the cheapest way to go.

Imagine Kit Homes seems a good one - what do you think?

Option 2 - Normal Home Builder

This would involve them doing everything and will cost too much I think...

Someone like Dixon Homes have quoted around 130k after negotiations.

What does everyone think the best route to go down is? And is my tight budget possible with any cheap builders in the market?

Many thanks,
James

Cheap Build

Hi James

Bump!

Will this be in Sydney?:)

I will really like to know too as granny flat (2 bedders) seem to be in the region of 75K up for a 2 bedder clad 60 sqm....:eek:

Yes - will be somewhere in West Sydney where I can find a cheap block too!

Anyone got any ideas?

I think Option 1 is the only way to come in within budget but maybe someone knows a cheap builder...

Or Option 3:

Prefab homes where they are built in a factory and delivered on site - will have to research this but has anyone found this option cheaper than the abovementioned two?

Hi everyone,

This is my most ambitious project to date.

But I would like to explore the option of building a house (if the price stacks up) for my PPOR. I would be living there for 6 months and then rent it out - but the sole purpose would basically be to save on stamp duty etc... as in NSW they took away free stamp duty on established homes - the *******s!

So I have been looking at the best option. I need the build under 100k (am trying desperately for 80k.)

I need a 4bdr house with 1 bath and an en suite and a double garage. It needs to be 120sqm internal space.

Option 1 - Steel kit home:
I can source the materials for around 30k to lock up stage - its just the labour involved I am not sure how to cost (or get for the best price.)

What my plan is though is to get it to lock up stage by a builder (so pay for some labour) and then I (and my grandfather - a kitchen maker/carpenter) source the materials cheap and organise the tradies to do the rest of the interior.

This seems the cheapest way to go.

Imagine Kit Homes seems a good one - what do you think?

This would involve them doing everything and will cost too much I think...

What does everyone think the best route to go down is? And is my tight budget possible with any cheap builders in the market?

Many thanks,
James
How does the NSW govt. see relocated (whole older homes)- IE as a new build (as with some other states requiring you meet the energy ratings of a new home) or still as an old home?
Might be worth looking into - your pricing seems pretty lean for what you're hoping to achieve.
You could likely make the figures work with this possibility and in Vic, theres plenty of companies that will supply, do council applications and set up the whole shebang for you so I can only assume that theres plenty in NSW too?

I've looked into it but the attraction of a new house is both depreciation and little/no repairs.

Moving the house costs heaps in transport and reconnection fees and reno costs - at least $50k.

Also for reval purposes new is better.

I know its very cheap - but that's my budget as I'm only young :)

Any help appreciated.

Is that their 'building' cost alone? Tender price would be lot higher once they include site cost, Basix and all other stuff. After that you will have other costs such as fittings, landscaping, driveway, fence and so on.

I've looked into it but the attraction of a new house is both depreciation and little/no repairs.

Moving the house costs heaps in transport and reconnection fees and reno costs - at least $50k.

Also for reval purposes new is better.

I know its very cheap - but that's my budget as I'm only young :)

Any help appreciated.

in terms of kits and moves and prefabs, Id hope u are cashed up.

Lenders dont like em, though if you are lucky you will find some will lend to ~ 80 %lvr

Beyond that its pretty much a case by case game

ta
rolf

Will have a fixed price contract so not an issue.

Only issue is the price and getting cheap labour

Yes devank - only for the house but includes concrete slab etc... way too much for me at 130k

Won't worry about driveway/landscaping etc...

Yes I know it looks impossible - but I will make it possible.

Any help on directions to look in would be much appreciated.

Could always buy an established house for same price - but then there's stamp duty, lower rent and low depreciation

Yes I know it looks impossible - but I will make it possible.

Any help on directions to look in would be much appreciated.

Could always buy an established house for same price - but then there's stamp duty, lower rent and low depreciation

not many things are IMPOSSIBLE

just very very difficult

but the big rewards rarely come to those that chase the low and easy fruit :)

ta

rolf

That's the same as the transportable house right?

If so - that will still cost $50k in transport, connection fees etc... so really if I can do it for 80k-100k its better to go new.

JWR,

Transportable homes are made with a stronger sub floor frame to enable the home to be transported. The extra costs compared to a house built on site is saved in the home going to remote areas where builders are in short supply or outside the cheap builders (Dixon) build zones.

If you are looking at any builder to build a 4 bedroom house I will be surprised if you can get if for $ 80 K. I think $ 110 - $ 120 K would be the minimum to expect and that includes haggling.

Someone I know has been able to build a house of that size to that budget.

It involved them doing the build themselves (not a builder went and did an owners builders course) and using something along the lines of:

http://www.eco-blockaustralia.com.au/index.htm

By doing most of the build themselves and getting the tradies (plumbers, electricans) in directly thats was where the cost savings came into play.

The only other way I could think of would be to look at the kit shed company's who sometimes include livable dwellings and compare what there prices come in at.

However that would most likely be a shell only and the internal fit out you would have to do yourself. Also I would only imagine that would be suited for a rural block and not so much in a residental area and excludes the fact that your end value would be hurt by the cosmetic appeal of the house but might come in on budget.

Last resort might be to contact Nathan Birch for $ 80 K he should be able to knock you up at least two of them for that but I am still working out how he manages to do that.

Cheers,

Fourex.

Transportable/Relocateable homes are not allowed under the government's SEPP legislation but you can apply for a DA under Section 68 for these types of structures.

Thanks Jake,

Those are 60k for just materials. So way over budget

Basically looking at:
25-30k for materials to lock up
7.5-10k for builder to construct to lock up
5k for Council fees
30-40k for entire internals and fit out (with myself and my grandpa to source the materials and project manage the tradies so we don't pay premiums for builders to organise - incl painting myself, kitchen for cheap from grandpa, doing whatever I can myself.)

Not sure if I can achieve but I will sure as hell try!

Just need some good suppliers... and cheap builder/s mainly!

Back