Building in Blakes Crossing SA

Hi,

We have just purchased a block of land at Blakes Crossing, a new Delfin estate in Blakeview, in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, where we will be building our first ever IP!!

The block is only small 10mx25m, and with encumbrances we are very limited on what we can build. We have found 2 designs that would fit that we like but cant decide which to choose.

They are both 3x2x1 with open plan kitchen, meals and living. One design is slightly smaller than the other, giving a slightly larger and more user friendly yard space. It is also about 10K cheaper (still waiting on exact figures)?

What do people want to rent? Do they prefer more house space, or is yard space important too? Could we get slightly more rent for the one with more house area?

The smaller one has a total area of 143.5sqm the other is 149sqm

In Blakes Crossing I personally would build the larger home, tenants looking to rent in Blakes Crossing aren't going to expect a large yard and there will be enough parks for them to visit. Will your design allow for you to build an alfresco under the main roof with access from the open plan living to include some outdoor undercover living, this would add more living space at a cheaper price.

Hi Matthew,
Thank you for your reply. Both houses could have an alfresco attached off the open plan living area. In the bigger house it would mean that there is no other outside area except that under the alfresco (4x4), in the slightly bigger one there could be an alfresco (4x4) plus about a 2x4m other area for grass etc.

What is your opinion of Blakes Crossing, do you think it is a good investment opportunity?

Hi Matthew,
Thank you for your reply. Both houses could have an alfresco attached off the open plan living area. In the bigger house it would mean that there is no other outside area except that under the alfresco (4x4), in the slightly bigger one there could be an alfresco (4x4) plus about a 2x4m other area for grass etc.

What is your opinion of Blakes Crossing, do you think it is a good investment opportunity?

A (4x4) alfresco and 2x4m of grass I think is fine, just enough room for a pet or room for a small child to play.

My opinion on Blakes Crossing, I believe you will need to hold for at least 2-3 years as there is quite allot of new building & development in the area (Playford alive & Land SA's development). I haven't ever heard of anyone lose money buying into the early stages of a South Australian Delfin development as Delfin do their developments so well. Woolworths should be finished by the time your build is finished, so this will be helpfull when you need to rent it.

There is so much that can be discussed around the area re (good or bad) investment, all depends on the time frame you are looking to hold the property for.

Last edited:
Just curious, will council regulations actually allow you to build a house that leaves such minimal yard space?

Delfin in SA almost have a law unto themselves when it comes to their developments.

Check out some of these terrace & small cottages within the same developments HERE
and as an Investment I do like these.

Thank you for that info, we looked at the studio 51's, but I think they will be really for a niche market and in the end our 3x2 house will only be a bit more expensive about 40K more.
We are looking to hold for at least 10 years and then review, I agree with your Delfin comments, hence why I am keen to buy in Blakes and not the surrounding suburbs.

I'm surprised at the amount of single car dwellings that are being built in Blakes Crossing. I realise from Delfin's point of view it means they can fit more properties in the development, but my experience with renters in the area for new homes (defence personnel, business owners, young families etc) show they all heavily favour double garage/carport properties. So much so that back in the day when I was buying new/near new up there, I didn't even look at single car properties.

Steveadel, I've got a 1 garage in Playford Waters and was inundated with singles, couples and small families wanting to rent it. I ended up renting it out to a childless couple who have since had a baby.

I'm in a row of about six of these and all are older OO couples with no children and the two homes that are rentals house a single mum with a teenage girl and the other a couple in their 60's.

The OO's two down were very disappointed that I had rented it out as they would have liked it for their disabled daughter who needs assistance - she ended up renting a couple of blocks away.

I've personally found the smaller home a bonus in the fact that it does rent out easily but attracts smaller families that create less wear and tear :).

Wow that's a small block ... we're building at the moment on a minimal size block (15x45m) for our council and our HOUSE is close to the size of that block!

That part of northern Adelaide is just wall-to-wall new estates. I bought something off eBay recently and had to go to a new house in one of them. It was a brand new single car garage house on a very narrow block, the seller's nickname was something like MumOf6 so the house had a massive SUV squeezed into the driveway and another on the street.

Also, there's plenty of single parent families with only one car out there, y'know :p

Steveadel, I've got a 1 garage in Playford Waters and was inundated with singles, couples and small families wanting to rent it. I ended up renting it out to a childless couple who have since had a baby.

I'm in a row of about six of these and all are older OO couples with no children and the two homes that are rentals house a single mum with a teenage girl and the other a couple in their 60's.

The OO's two down were very disappointed that I had rented it out as they would have liked it for their disabled daughter who needs assistance - she ended up renting a couple of blocks away.

I've personally found the smaller home a bonus in the fact that it does rent out easily but attracts smaller families that create less wear and tear :).

Good point. How big is overall piece of land and house? I'm looking at a property on Graeber Rd 3/1/1 but was abit put off by the 305sqm overall land size?

The land is 250sqm the larger house is 149sqm (including single garage and portico), the smaller house is 143sqm (including single garage and portico). Both houses are 3x2x1

Back