Building Inspections in Brisbane

Hi guys anyone got someone they recceomend to do a building inspection for my recent purchase in New Farm? Its a small one bedder unit if that helps?

Building Inspection

Hi Kamak,

I recommend Brett from Inspec Building Services.
He's very thorough and tells you as it is.
Best to be present with him as he inspects the property as he will be able to go through the finer details with you. Cheers!

INSPEC BUILDING SERVICES
151 Redland Bay Road CAPALABA
PO BOX 236, CAPALABA 4157
Phone: (07) 3245 5546
Fax: (07) 3245 5549
Email: [email protected]
ABN: 79 907 541 471

I use procheck - ask for Ray. He is very good. Will ring you that day too. I dont have a number, i think they have a website - its all red or something. He has done 2 of my places - His recommendations have led to price reductions for me.

dont get one save your money, these guys are useless at identifying problems that you couldnt identify yourself most issues will be hidden behind furnature wallpaper etc that they dont/cant look behind and small issues they do identify never add up to there fee anyway, especcially in appartments where the most expensive issues are on common property that arnt part of the inspection double dont if you are planning on gutting the place to do a renno most of their time will be spent looking at stuff your gonna chuck out.
money is better spent getting your conveyancer to check body corperate minutes meetings files past/future expenditure etc. its usually $250 odd an will give you a better feel of things.

if you must get one to feel right with yourself inside just do a google search and go with the cheapest closest one with the builing inspector credentials they are pretty much all the same, and wont be responsible for anything theyve missed.

dont get one save your money, these guys are useless at identifying problems that you couldnt identify yourself most issues will be hidden behind furnature wallpaper etc that they dont/cant look behind and small issues they do identify never add up to there fee anyway, especcially in appartments where the most expensive issues are on common property that arnt part of the inspection double dont if you are planning on gutting the place to do a renno most of their time will be spent looking at stuff your gonna chuck out.
money is better spent getting your conveyancer to check body corperate minutes meetings files past/future expenditure etc. its usually $250 odd an will give you a better feel of things.

if you must get one to feel right with yourself inside just do a google search and go with the cheapest closest one with the builing inspector credentials they are pretty much all the same, and wont be responsible for anything theyve missed.

It looks like Kamak's in WA whilst the property is in QLD - so a physical inspection may not be possible. I believe the $250 is money well spent regardless .

Cheers

Jamie

It looks like Kamak's in WA whilst the property is in QLD - so a physical inspection may not be possible. I believe the $250 is money well spent regardless .

Cheers

Jamie

I never regretted using a building inspector. In my case, I used Brett from Inspec Building Services. We were examining a restored Queenslander in Birkdale. He identified issues like the internal stairs (each step) were constructed higher than regulation height, hence if tenants tripped on the steps and injured themselves, we could be sued or be liable.

He was also able to identify to us the parts of the house that was original Queenslander and the parts that were not restored authentically. For eg. Brett pointed out that the external skirting all aound the outside of the house was made of mdf and would bloat when rained on. He also warned of a hardwood crossbeam underneath a verandah that would need repair soon (liability issue). To the untrained eye like mine, it looked well painted but Brett could spot the rot.

So a good building inspector as well as a good termite inspector are worth their weight in gold. I'd always engage the two if looking seriously at buying a house in Queensland. I definitely want to be aware of termite issues! :eek:

Hi Kamak,

I recommend Brett from Inspec Building Services.
He's very thorough and tells you as it is.
Best to be present with him as he inspects the property as he will be able to go through the finer details with you. Cheers!

INSPEC BUILDING SERVICES
151 Redland Bay Road CAPALABA
PO BOX 236, CAPALABA 4157
Phone: (07) 3245 5546
Fax: (07) 3245 5549
Email: [email protected]
ABN: 79 907 541 471

Thanks - used Brett and was VERY happy with the service. The inspection was very thorough.

Unfortunately, after following Rixters recommendation, I can't agree with him. Let's just say thank goodness I followed my intuition and had an experienced structural engineer look at the place afterwards - under pinning slabs isn't cheap....:eek:

I use Barry Moore from Barry Moore Building Inspections for all our IP purchases spread over Brisbane...He has saved us Big Dollars over the years - and his service and advice is 2nd to none.

Unfortunately, after following Rixters recommendation, I can't agree with him. Let's just say thank goodness I followed my intuition and had an experienced structural engineer look at the place afterwards - under pinning slabs isn't cheap....:eek:

What happened Simon? I guess every situation will be different.

He didn't pick up on the extent of ground movement and hence dismissed some cracks as being fine. I wasn't confident about his assessment on this in particular. The bloke I got to check it is a builder and structural consulting engineer, someone I know and trust. All happened prior to contract building inspection clause date.
Also he didn't provide an overall rating for the house structure, which I wanted. Otherwise I think his inspection was fine - picked up on a lot of other issues and he was happy to discuss the place fully.

I was very happy with him. He's picked up on a lot of issues over the years for me. One time he had the vendor carry out defects he found as being substandard so I could have them added into the contract conditions...he even came back after the vendor had all the work completed and did my pre-settlement inspections at no additional cost.

Last edited:
Back