Building standards - steps and hand rails

Does anyone know where to find guidelines on when you do and don't need to have hand-rails in a stairway? I have an IP with no hand-rails in an internal stairway, it might not be too important because the stairs are enclosed with a wall on each side but I'm thinking of getting a hand rail installed anyway.

The tenant claims the 3 outside steps leading from the front verandah are dangerous and should have a hand rail there but I don't see any problem with it. I would rather not change the outside appearance of the house if I can help it, but now that it's been brought to my attention I thought I better check to make sure I won't be held responsible if I decide not to provide one.

According to the tenant the verandah is 'illegal' too because it doesn't have hand rails along the whole length. However it is the design of the house and for the section where there is no railing it is only 1 metre from the ground and I was previously advised no railing is required for heights up to 1 metre.

Where can I check these things so I know where I stand legally? Thanks.

I want to add to this .....

it is not illegal!

Assuming the building was built with local council approval then it complies.

Yes, the code may have changed in the meantime, but it was built to the

code at the time, signed off by council and is fine. I have a major problem

with tenants who start saying this or that is illegal... they effectively have

just issued themselves with a termination notice.... :)

Having said that..... if you have a tenant who takes it upon themselves

to "fall" of the deck they may have a case against you ( i don't know).

Anyone with a more legal background might like to comment...

But the 1st step to litigation is a tenant saying this or that is illegal.

surely, that is not a risk worth taking, check the current BCA regs, but as a

priority get new tenants.

You don't need these people!

rossv

1m or less does not require a blustrade measyured at the height of the ground at any point.

Clause 3.9.2.2 page 449 of the 2005 BCA

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
1m or less does not require a blustrade measyured at the height of the ground at any point.

Clause 3.9.2.2 page 449 of the 2005 BCA

Peter 147
Thanks for the reference Peter, it's what I thought. Is BCA the Building Code of Australia, in which case it's obviously a national standard and not state by state. You don't happen to have a reference for how many stairs before you need a hand rail do you? :)

rossv said:
Assuming the building was built with local council approval then it complies.

Yes, the code may have changed in the meantime, but it was built to the

code at the time, signed off by council and is fine.
The building was built with local council approval. The council signed off and passed the final inspection at the end of construction but that's what worries me because the inspector barely got out of his car to do it! If there was something that didn't comply with the code he may not have picked up on it. I guess I couldn't put all the blame on the council and as the owner would still be held responsible in some way.

The BCA is national.

the blame? unfortunately, the council and the builder.

IMHO, if it is not a requirement, why bother? if the verandah has got a building permit and a occupancy permit then the verandah is legal. by the way, your tenant seems quite demanding yeh?

and looks like you got a very picky tenant.... using words like 'illegal'... such words are a bit threating sometimes. you should ask the tenant where he or she got all these 'requirements' from.

Ebbie,

Also see the relevant Australian Standard.

AS 1657 1992. Fixed Platforms, walkways, stairways and ladders.

Should help.

Justin

You can Ring /e-mail Australian Standards for a copy.

Kerosam05,

The tenant is an elderly woman a little worried about the stairs (she didn't say this was a problem when she signed the lease!). And although she used what seems to be 'threatening' words I don't think that was her intention. I just want to make sure I know the legal requirements before I get back to her with an answer.

Juzz,

Do you really have to pay $58 to access this information? I found the AS 1657 1992 here: Standards

ebbie,

go to your city council, speak to a building surveyor and ask for those standards or relevant BCA clauses. Be nice. They should be able to give you those information. If they are not willing to help, try the library.

Back