Built in Robes

Had an open for inspection today for my IP within inner city Sydney. It was newly renovated with floors, kitchen and paint all done. First thing people commented on was lack of wardrobes. So, i took myself down to Ikea to take a look and found quote a reasonable flat pack with mirrored sliding doors for $695.

Does anyone have any opinions on quality of these Ikea units, or recommend any local suppliers?

Thx again

Had an open for inspection today for my IP within inner city Sydney. It was newly renovated with floors, kitchen and paint all done. First thing people commented on was lack of wardrobes. So, i took myself down to Ikea to take a look and found quote a reasonable flat pack with mirrored sliding doors for $695.

Does anyone have any opinions on quality of these Ikea units, or recommend any local suppliers?

Thx again

I just bought some of these, except not the ones with the sliding doors. A couple of things:

The flat pack boxes are long and heavy, and will just barely fit in a Commodore wagon with the back seat and front passenger seat down, so the boxes go right through to the glove box. Yikes.

The price does not include shelves, drawers etc which will add another couple of hundred dollars.

There are good for free-standing wardrobes, but all free-standing wardrobes lack the solidity of built-ins.

Don't forget the effort that goes into assembly.

Hi Vaughan. Ha here i was thinking i'd be able to fold the backseats of my little Golf Gti and throw everything in the back - a little ambitious me thinks.

I didn't even think about shelves and other accessories. Not to worry, I think i might go down the built in path. I'm willing to pay a little extra for long term rigidity. Thanks for your pov.

I always get professionally fitted robes put in when I do a reno. I figure if you want top dollar then present it to attract quality tenants who are prepared to pay for a quality finish.

Flat packs will do as well, .. but IMO they will rarely look as good as professionally fitted ... It depends on what you want to spend really. The ones shown below were around $900-$950 supplied and fitted.

Mystery

PC070791.jpgPC070792.jpgP7290604.jpg

Please don't do mirrored robe doors. Hate hate HATE mirrored doors. Hard to keep clean and, really, who wants to wake up and see themselves in the mirror everyday :eek:

Vinyl doors are a much better and cheaper option

Please don't do mirrored robe doors.
Vinyl doors are a much better and cheaper option

I agree mirrors can look tacky but you may find they are the cheapest. When I sold my old PPOR had a few quotes to install 2 and mirror was always the cheapest option.

I couldn't work it out and didn't want to do mirrors so didn't have any installed but gave the REA the quotes for the mirrored ones so prosective buyers want knew the lowest cost to install as we were getting some negative point of feedback on lack of wardrobes.

Really? See i thought it would have been more practical to have mirrored doors - save the tenant having to purchase seperate mirrors for the bedroom.

I always get professionally fitted robes put in when I do a reno. I figure if you want top dollar then present it to attract quality tenants who are prepared to pay for a quality finish.

Flat packs will do as well, .. but IMO they will rarely look as good as professionally fitted ... It depends on what you want to spend really. The ones shown below were around $900-$950 supplied and fitted.

Mystery

View attachment 10089View attachment 10090View attachment 10091

Oh and Mystery, can you recommend anyone?

Oh and Mystery, can you recommend anyone?
Not in Sydney GT, ..... Just shop around close to your location, ... plenty of competition out there. Around Ipswich (Qld) location where photo's were taken , .... I think it was Lifestyle Wardrobes. In Victoria, .. I honestly can't remember.

I have constructed my own during reno's by building the stud frames and sheeting them and just buying the doors. In fact I have 3 to do in the current reno in Goulburn, but that's because I want to keep the style similar to the 1930's property.

Flat packs are fine, but I just think that they always look added on, but I suppose for an IP, .. does it really matter.

Mystery

I have used Design a robe in Silverwater for 5 built ins and 1 walk in robe. Good quality and easy to deal with, average price was $800ish mirrored doors, white frame draws and shelves installed

I don't get why mirror doors look tacky? Personal opinion?

I'm with GoTigers about practicality. So much easier than having to buy a mirror.

I'm with GoTigers about practicality. So much easier than having to buy a mirror.

I don't like them because they're very 80's, to me anyway, otherwise they do make a small room look bigger and brighter.

I knew they still sold them but didn't think they were popular.

Last edited:
Flat packs are fine, but I just think that they always look added on, but I suppose for an IP, .. does it really matter.

Mystery

For sub $800 both types are going to look and feel sub $800.

I have installed wardrobes in 2 bedrooms at roughly 3K and 4K each (whole wall matt 2 pac, 2600mm tall) and there is no way they could be mistaken for cheapies.

I think it's the materials used moreso than if they're flatpack or not.

Personal opinion here to as being "tacky". To me mirriored ones always look like they are an add on feature and not part of the original room design and every time i see them they are always dirty showing every finger print especially if there are kids involved.

I like the IKEA Pax ones and think the quality is decent and the price reasonable.

I particularly like that they come in decent heights as well as 2 different depths.

Yes there are the ones I got... the taller size, and the wider depth.

The boxes are a couple of cm longer than the height, so if the wardrobes are 210 cm high then the boxes will be around 215 cm long.

They are heavy too, need a couple of strong people to lift and carry, and not something I'd like to put on roof racks.

While buying mine I realised the box size would be an issue so I got a tape measure and went back to the car to work out what might fit. Serendipitously, another guy with a Commodore wagon the same as mine was in the car park trying to do the exact same thing. We worked together and determined that if the headrests were removed and the front seat slid forward and reclined right back, the boxes just might fit. They did, but it was an uncomfortable drive back home.

I use T&T Wardrobes in Minchinbury. Up to 2400 wide mirror front with shelves, drawers and dual hanging is $695 installed, cheaper than DIY flat pack things.

I went into Design A Robe at Silverwater on recommendation from someone hwere a while back, they were the most unhelpful mob I have ever dealt with and walked out.

I use T&T Wardrobes in Minchinbury. Up to 2400 wide mirror front with shelves, drawers and dual hanging is $695 installed, cheaper than DIY flat pack things.

Awesome Dave, was looking for fitters near the werrington/st marys area. will have a look at them.thanks

We didn't like the all plain mirror look for our home but still liked the idea of not having a separate mirror. It also makes the room bigger and brighter. Kids also love to dance in front of it.
I have attached two photos of slightly fancier version of mirror. We put the red one for the bed room and the other plain 'shaded' one for all other rooms.
It was done by ALL IMPRESSIVE WARD
back in 2009. It did costed slightly more than others but it was worth it in our opinion.

Attachments

• bedRoomMirror.jpg
    bedRoomMirror.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 117
  • studyMirror.jpg
    studyMirror.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 116
Back