Bunnings anonymous

Just finished writing up all my reciepts from bunnings for the last financial year.
$31,000 on power tools and building supplies. It came as a big shock to see I had spent that much, and they think the pokies are bad. At least if I ever loose my job I could start a tool hire company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bunnings anonymous - where's Dunc

Reply: 1

*Sim' pushes Dunc towards the podium with a card that reads "Hi, my name is Dunc, and I'm a powertool-a-holic"

You're not alone Adam ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
RE: Bunnings anonymous - where's Dunc

Reply: 1.1

Hahah, I was going to say something :)

I actually ended up at the Woodworking Show in Adelaide on the weekend am
now the proud ower of a:

Ledacraft ZQ3116A Radial Arm Floor Mounted Drill Press, complete with a
whacky-doo mortising attachment. I also bought a half blind dovetailing jig
that cuts dovetails on stock up to 300mm wide. If the damn tenants would
stop damaging my properties I could stop buying (and depreciating)
powertools ;-)

Saw this fantastic 4 pad orbital sander for around $2900, but Mrs Dunc would
have castrated me with a circular saw if I had brought that home :)

Regards,

Duncan.

RE: Bunnings anonymous - where's Dunc

Reply: 1.1.1

Folks,

you're not alone on this, I must confess I'm also a tool-a-holic (my wife thinks I should be sent to a tool-a-holic anonymous camp). Every time I drive past Bunnings I have to drop in & see if there is anything on special or if I see something I need... ;)

Hey, just as Sim mentions above, they are needed for IP repairs & therefore depreciated ;)

Cheers,

MannyB.

Reply: 2

I hope all you Bunning freaks
have a Bunnings card and getting
some discounts on your purchases ?

With the card - some things you get jack all discount, other things you get a good 5%, so still worth having and any how it makes a good conversation piece at boring parties !

If you want to go play with the big kids
you can get a better discount again, by applying for a trade account, where they give you 10 % off every thing, but watch out for the min spend requirements.

Happy spending !

Regards

Rex the "rectal renovator"

Reply: 2.1

Unrelated, but speaking of discounts:
I went shopping today for Quicken Personal software. Went around to a few places and asked for a discount for paying cash. Without fail every place I went the person looked at me liked I had asked when the next flight to the moon was and then said there was no discount... oh well, lucky I went to Dick Smith and found it there for $73. No discount, but at least it wasn't full price. I probably would have kicked up a stink if it was over $100, but considering I got a small discount on the general price, I didn't think it was too bad.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Discounts

Reply: 2.1.1

Hi

I like the idea of discounts on almost everything that I buy, but, I never ask for discounts from the people who look after me and my wealth - eg, stock brokers, property managers and solicitors.

I find it unbelievably hypocritical how people want me to look after them (almost 24 hours a day) and then want a discount for the privilege!

We even went so far as to sack one client because he kept asking for a discount.

Discounts are fine, but . . . you do need to have your priorities right.

Have fun

Dale

Discounts

Reply: 2.1.1.1

What no discount Dale ???

AD

Stumbling blocks are just stepping stones to the successful.

Discounts

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Just send them to H&R Block Dale.....

;)

Reply: 3

Trade discounts apply to everything except power tools.
I found the best way to get good prices is their beat it by 10% rule.(even though it is predatory pricing and hurts small business)
Bunnings sold 90*35 framing timber for I think 4.50 per metre, I found a much poorer grade from another timber yard for 60C per metre, so I got the good stuff from bunnings at about 50 odd cents a metre.
Another good tip is to go in first thing on a sunday morning, when most of the young sales people have hangovers or severe case of lethargy. Mistakes are easily made, especially at the checkout (both ways so check the reciept).
On to the important stuff, my pride and joy is a paslode cordless nail gun, followed closely by my 18 volt cordless dewault circular saw. I don't know about the rest of you but the dewault yellow does as much for me as Pamela Anderson in a bikini 3 sizes to small.
Other items of note
18v reciprocating saw
18v hammer drill dewault
18v hamnmer drill fire storm (red is nice too)
14v circular saw (left cut)
12v wipper snipper
18v chain saw
14v hedge trimmer (all I need now is a hedge)
240v ergomax hammer drill AEG
2500w triton circular saw (I call mine the widowmaker)
hitachi dustless circular saw (you never know)
dewault electric planer

My next purchase will be an 18v jigsaw.
Also Duncan and Sim if you are into hitech gadgets the the eyespye shop on henley beach road is a must. I picked up a I/R camera that can see in total darkness for 30M (Im still trying to find out where the possums get into my roof). I also picked up a HF transmitter/receiver to make my camera totally cordless. This is coupled with a passive I/R detector that is attached to a switch that automatically starts recording when movement is detected, and then shuts off at a predetermined time.
A long term project is setting up one of these cameras (can be located up to 300M away from house) to send images to a pc where software will optically filter the registration numbers, this will also be linked to a sports radar ($150) that will show the speed of the car. Although I would like to set up some sort of close in weapons system that will take out anyone doing 40KM over the speed limit Ive got a feeling it may be illegal.

Reply: 3.1

Adam,

You are one sick dude !!!!

Have you thought about getting treatment for your strange illness ?

Or maybe you should wear special underwear when entering a Bunnings store to stop those sexual urges & buying spree's.

Rex "The Rectal Renovator"

Reply: 3.1.1

Adam,

I have considered long and hard the statement that you made...

"..I don't know about the rest of you but the dewault yellow does as much for me as Pamela Anderson in a bikini 3 sizes to small..."

Now I have to say, I disagree with you, Pamela Anderson wins over the DeWault Yellow any day.

Not by much, but she does win.

regards
Jakk the Slum Lord

Reply: 3.1.1.1

Hi Jakk,

I have to agree with Adam, the DeWalt tools are indeed something special.

Duncan.

Re: Discounts

Reply: 2.1.1.2

Whoops Dale, just glad I never asked for a discount!

Anyway I think its quite legitimate to ask for a discount, why not? We ask
it from other people/firms who are also trying to make some money/make a
living so why should some service providers be any different?

Its also quite legitimate to refuse to give discounts. If a discount isn't
forthcoming them we have a choice, continue or go elsewhere.

Ian

PS I spoke to Sue today - I think she's lovely!

Reply: 2.1.1.2.1

Hi Ian!

Sue is mine - she is lovely - and she is mine. Did I mention that she is mine . . .?

I don't agree with you here.

I think it's fine to ask for discounts on things that you buy with your money, but, is it wise to ask people who help you make money for a discount?

Sue suggested that we now say "YES, we will give you a discount, but, we won't try to help you and discount our level of service too. Is that alright?"

Could be interesting!!!

Dale

Reply: 2.1.1.2.1.1

I agree with Dale.

Discounts on commodity items are all well and good. Services are rarely commoditised... and you really need to be prepared to pay the price for the level of service you expect. Pay any less and you get less service.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

Where is the 18v chain saw????

(Where, who by, how much etc.....)

The possibilities are endless - Wow!

ML.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1

Hi Adam,

you said: "..I don't know about the rest of you but the dewault yellow does as much for me as Pamela Anderson in a
bikini 3 sizes to small...", well I can think of something you may like even better...

how about Pamela Anderson holding one Dewalt power tool on each hand? ;)

Cheers,

MannyB.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1.2

The 18v chainsaw I bought was from Bunnings in the garden tool section I paid $200 and it came with 2 batteries. The brand is Ozito, and no it hasn't broken yet. The Batteries are cheaply made, and last for about 15 cuts through a branch about 30cm in diameter. Ive got a feeling it has come down in price a fair bit
The reason for my hostility at cars that fly past my house at about 160khr is I had some clown almost write off my new barina (12000 damage)a couple of weeks ago,according to him it was my fault because I irresponsibly stopped on the road whilst trying to turn right into my driveway, (after indicating 8 to 10 times). Im already looking to buy a ford f100 on gas, I need it anyway for the rental properties, let them tailgate me then I say.

Back