Bush Fire Risk Assessment - NSW

We've had a "Complying Development" knocked back by Hornsby Council, because the property is in a bushfire zone.
Its a fairly minor reno in our new PPOR.. put in bigger windows/ glass doors, large skylights, knock down an internal load bearing wall etc
council have given us 2 options.. either submit as a DA (where they strongly recommend a bush fire risk assessment be included), or maintain it as a complying development with a bush fire certification that its not in the high risk fire area.
So, I guess either way we need a bush fire assessment. I've rung RFS, but no call back yet.

Has anyone had to have one of these before? Any advice/suggestions/ recommendations for good RFS person would be great.

Ok,

if it is BAL (Bushfire Attack Level) 29 or below you can still do the works under a Complying Development Certificate, provided you meet all other criteria etc etc. Council should be able to provide a certificate detailing the BAL of the land. Under recent amendments to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulations (came into force Feb 25 this year) it is their role. There is however a 12 month transition period in which the RFS can also carry out this work. Some councils are reluctant to issue these, as it means they don’t get DA Fees.

You can also use a suitably qualified consultant under the BPAD-A Scheme.

The list of BPAD-A consultants is here Link

Not going to vouch for one over the other as I have not used any of them, sorry.

The BAL certification usually costs less than getting a gull bushfire assessment.

Hope that helps.

Depending on the fire rating a lot of it can be simple stuff to comply, at least in my area of WA.
Replace flyscreens with steel mesh, metal gutter guards. Certain clearances to trees etc.

My Father-In-Law had a fire compliance issue, He had the RFS or FB re-do / re-evaluate the fire risk assessment and the risk rating was decreased as the last assessment was done a while earlier and since then more bush had been cleared, houses built and the zone had changed.

This allowed timber windows and normal flyscreens, The neighbour across the road was upset as he complied with all the old rules when he was building 3 months earlier.

thanks for the responses. I've contacted Rural Fire Service, and they also directed me to the BPAD-A consultants (thanks Ideo!).
So, I have someone coming out to have a look in the next few days.

thanks for the responses. I've contacted Rural Fire Service, and they also directed me to the BPAD-A consultants (thanks Ideo!).
So, I have someone coming out to have a look in the next few days.

No worries.

Let me know how you get along with it. Never had one carried out, so I'm interested.

Good news on our side.
I rang the bush fire assessor the other day. Based on Googlemaps, he thought the house was in the flame zone, which was a bit disheartening, cause it meant we would have to install ugly shutters on our nice new windows.

But he rang today and said he'd been out to look at the house and based on his assessment, the house is in the 2nd lowest bushfire zone. BAL 19. so, we should be able to go ahead with a complying development.

the details of the assessor are below. We had the report in just over 24 hours (they say it will be done within 1 week). We're very happy!!

Matthew Willis
Grad Dip Bushfire Planning and Design
Bushfire Planning Services Pty Limited

FPAA BPAD- A Certified Practitioner
Certification Number BPD-PA 09337
Mobile 0428408577 Phone 02 96543228
A member of the A.B.A.C. group of companies
www.bushfireconsultants.com.au

Good news on our side.
I rang the bush fire assessor the other day. Based on Googlemaps, he thought the house was in the flame zone, which was a bit disheartening, cause it meant we would have to install ugly shutters on our nice new windows.

But he rang today and said he'd been out to look at the house and based on his assessment, the house is in the 2nd lowest bushfire zone. BAL 19. so, we should be able to go ahead with a complying development.

the details of the assessor are below. We had the report in just over 24 hours (they say it will be done within 1 week). We're very happy!!

Matthew Willis
Grad Dip Bushfire Planning and Design
Bushfire Planning Services Pty Limited

FPAA BPAD- A Certified Practitioner
Certification Number BPD-PA 09337
Mobile 0428408577 Phone 02 96543228
A member of the A.B.A.C. group of companies
www.bushfireconsultants.com.au

Hi Penny,

I use Matt Willis A LOT and can highly recommend him- he knows his stuff where it comes to BAL Assesments. Your draftsman/architect will have to implement the protection measures (in accordance with BAL 19) onto the arhitectural plans.

I think if you're going to Council you dont need Matt because they will do their won assesment. If you're doing a Complying Development then you will need him to do it.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

What is the difference between:

Vegetation buffer
Vegetation category 1
Vegetation category 2

?

Thanks

Bush Fire Prone Land is described as Category 1 or Category 2 vegetation.

Category 1 vegetation represents forests, woodlands, heathlands, pine plantations and wetlands. Land within 100 metres of this category is considered Bushfire Prone Land.

Category 2 vegetation represents grasslands, scrublands, rainforests, open woodlands and mallee. Land within 30 metres of this category is considered Bushfire Prone Land Map

Vegetation Buffer is just the distances mentioned above^, so Category 1 has a buffer of 100m whilst category 2 has a buffer of 30m.

Asset Protection Zones
Development on bush fire prone land will normally require the implementation of a set back distance which is referred to as an asset protection zone. An asset protection zone (APZ) is also known as a fire protection zone and aims to protect human life, property and highly valued assets. It is a buffer zone between a bush fire hazard and buildings, which is managed progressively to minimise fuel loads and reduce the potential radiant heat levels, flame contact, ember and smoke attack on life and property
http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=1060

Here's how to determine what type of vegetation is near you:
http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/file_system/attachments/State/Attachment_20070608_08618E49.pdf

Back