Buyers Agents

I think many people grossly underestimate how much it actually costs to run a business. If people believe they can make a killing charging BA fees of $5k they they should do it. At that price you're bound to attract some attention as it's almost half what most are charging.

I'll even be the first client (I'm very serious here). I'm currently in the market for a multi unit dwelling (4 or less). CF+ is great but I'll settle for cashflow neutral as longer term growth is more important to me. I'll happily pay $5k at settlement if the deal stacks up well.

What's your budget Peter - I'll give you a hand if you want to look Perth way - it's a lot nicer spending other people's money than one's own - but I still spend it as if it's my own.

buyers agent - This is someone working for you and has your best interest at hand..

i have just started being a buyers agent after many years as a private investor and owning a successful realestate office plus managing other peoples investment. I have seen many people over the years pay way to much for real estate without consultanting there personal agent. Particularly one that works for you and you pay them a fee. its the same as would you operate on yourself no you would use a professional ... a lot of investors use various so go companies that say they will look after your interest, but in reality they are getting up to 30,000 commission when you buy, they will have rent guarantee etc why would they not offer that, they get a big lot of money from the builder when you first buy.. when they have a property valued they will tell you becuase you are from another state that the valuations will come in lower, what a load of rubbish, A valuer should never under value or over value a property because of where the buyer comes from . he can loose his license and be fined. With a buyers agent you can save thousands as long as they have the right tools and programms to do the research. and you pay them..
Overseas in some countries you have a vendor agent and buyers agent -

Sorry I can't shed any light on [that buyers agent] service, but just as a general comment on paying for ANY service of ANY kind, it is not good to part with ALL the money up-front.

Most BAs would charge a retainer fee of 20-30% of the total fee but the balance of the fee should (to my way of thinking), be geared towards the success fee - i.e. when you've actually achieved securing the property that you hired the BA for in the first instance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmm.

Plenty of reasons to use a BA. Plenty of reasons not to. Its a free choice - take it or leave it.

Reasons why clients have used our services in the past (when I've asked them why?) - their words, not mine.
1. I'm Asian and I can't get white Anglo male real estate agents to take me seriously. They don't put my offers to vendors, I think I'm missing something.(Unfortunately that's true and its not nice)
2. I'm no good at negotiating.
3. I've purchased property before and when I look at what I've purchased, it has not worked out to be the greatest investment.
4. I get nervous bidding at auction and I need someone unemotional to stop me getting carried away and overpaying.
5. I've tried to buy for 6-12 months but I keep getting pipped at the post - someone else buys before the Open home or I'm the underbidder at auction.
6. I'm unsure of the true value of the property.
7. I'm in some overseas location and I can't afford to keep flying over there just to miss out on property by the time I get there.
8. I'm working 80 hours a week as a highly paid professional, I earn $2K per day, - I want to outsource the home buying thing to someone else who I can just pay to get the job done.
9. I value my family time on week-ends, kids at sport etc. I don't want to spend my Saturdays looking at property, but I know I need to get one.
10. I've been wanting to buy an investment property since I was 25 years old. I'm now 35 years old and I still have not bought anything. I figured if I paid you money, you could make it happen for me. I am clueless when it comes to selecting a good investment property.
11. I'm a newbie. I don't want to make a mistake on my first IP. Can I use the Buyers Agent exercise to buy me a good property plus help me learn so I can do it for myself next time?

.....I could go on.

The fact is that if you have the time, the energy, the inclination & skill, then you don't need a BA. But there are a LOT of people that recognise their lack of some or all of these things and do something about it. (if they didn't, I'd be out of business)

Kudos to you Propertunity. You are the only BA here who (to me) seems convincing. That you have a personal track record of IP success speaks volumes. Clearly, the larger part of your net worth seems to have come from investing, not from commissions. Noteworthy indeed.

To all the other BA's out there.....please share your stories with us. Start with your best long-term client results and follow with your worst. Let is all hang out. If you are worth your salt, please prove it with a list of examples (preferably not cherry picked ones) of what you have achieved for your clients. The more verifiable (links, pics etc) the better.

.You might need to wait until after hours (or at least later in the day) for more response from the BA's.

Or besides Propertunities posts,not so much as a sniff from any of the others on this forum keen to sell their wares or answer the too hard question.Dissapointing.

Or besides Propertunities posts,not so much as a sniff from any of the others on this forum keen to sell their wares or answer the too hard question.Dissapointing.

Why would they bother? Why would they try and convince people who have already made up their mind and are jaded by bad experiences?

I spoke to a BA today who has 22 signed authorities, 13 owner occ and 9 investors, would suggest he is pretty busy trying to impress the people who have engaged his service rather than enter a kangaroo court that is this thread?

He would argue he has more than enough who believe in his service, why waste time trying to talk unknown internet posters around?

If you don't like them , don't use them , its pretty simple.

If you don't like them , don't use them , its pretty simple.

Some of us dislike seeing fellow investors ripped off.

Earlier yesterday, on this thread, I asked BAs to list their clients success stories. I wanted to see specific examples of nous. Although the silence is deafening, I will nevertheless keep an open mind.

Perhaps Propertunity can give us some relief? He seems to be the only BA here who has managed to amass a decent portfolio of his own. The rest - nice as they are - seem to be living off their commissions.

The rest - nice as they are - seem to be living off their commissions.

This thread is starting to border on troll territory.

As Bigtone said ... why would they bother engaging with people who have already made up their mind and insist on demanding "proof" and jumping to respond to your every demand.

I personally know several buyers agents on this forum who have quite significant property portfolios of their own - one has just gone on holidays so won't be responding, and I wouldn't be surprised if the others read this thread, roll their eyes, and wisely choose not to engage with such open hostility.

Nobody on this forum needs to prove anything.

If you wish to engage the services if a buyers agent and as part of your selection process you choose to directly interrogate them as to their personal property portfolio and personal wealth ... then that is between you and them.

This forum is NOT the place to demand "proof" of anything and absence of such does not indicate anything as to the quality or integrity of services on offer by buyers agents out there.

I agree with Bigtone and Sim. Why would any buyer's agent enter such a "discussion" with such an aggressive tone of posting thus far, and a clear refusal to acknowledge they have a place in the purchase of property. I liken it to several years ago when agent bashing was the flavour of the month. I often stood up for the many decent agents I know and for my own (late) mother who was a highly respected and ethical agent. I should have ignored the jibes from those who may have had one or two bad experiences, but felt I couldn't let it go.

Now it seems to be the time for buyers' agents to cop the flack.

Like has been said, use them if you like, or not...

This forum is NOT the place to demand "proof" of anything and absence of such does not indicate anything as to the quality or integrity of services on offer by buyers agents out there.

Just to further clarify my point ... you are more than welcome to (reasonably) challenge anything a buyers agent says on the forum ... you are NOT welcome to challenge them personally and effectively accuse almost an entire industry of being crooks, which is what you have done.

I've used the football analogy plenty of times in the past on this forum, seems like it is time to trot it out again - "play the ball, not the man". Challenge what they say/do, not their personal integrity or personal attributes.

Why would they bother? Why would they try and convince people who have already made up their mind

Totally incorrect.I have a open mind on this subject,besides props insight which has been most educational,there has been no other responses on case studies?Its the results i am interested in seeing.

Totally incorrect. I have a open mind on this subject,

With all due respect (don't you love that phrase?), it doesn't come across that way.

The voice of an open mind???

This would have to be the best thing today i have read.Too many people take the lazy way in life,buying properties through other people.Personally,sorry to be blunt,but who in their right mind pays large sums of money to people they do not know,for advice on how to spent hundreds of thousands of dollars.Sorry people,i cannot get my head around this.

besides [Proportunity's] insight which has been most educational,there has been no other responses on case studies?

Now that is totally incorrect....

Geoff W (not a BA and certainly no property newbie) said this (post #16):

I've done very well through a property sourced by [a buyers agent]. For me, it was well worth the fee.

And, while this is not a case study (why should BAs be asked to divulge even the anonymous / sanitised stories of their achievements?) Jacque (who is a BA and also highly experienced investor) said this (post #42):

BA's are not for everyone. Period. If you are not in a position to outsource, then don't. Don't complain about the fees. Don't whinge about the benefits of the service. Get out there and do the searching, analysing and negotiating yourself. It's not rocket science. This is true. Just as in selling your property or managing your property no-one is forcing you to outsource. DIY. And whilst you're there do your own conveyancing, book-keeping, accounting, tax returns etc. You'll save a bucketload of $$$$ whilst you're taking all that time off work.

I won't say who it was - if they care to identify themselves that is up to them - but one BA on this forum who I have known for several years did tell me that most of their clients were out-of-towners who earned sizeable incomes (well into the 6 figures) and for whom spending the weekend (or a lot longer) / their spare time looking at open homes and researching deals was simply uneconomic for them (on a dollar per hour basis). These people (not fools it should be noted) were so pleased with the service provided that most of this BAs business was repeat business.

Its the results i am interested in seeing.

Why?

Are you considering using a BA?

And, in any event, who made you the Judge, Jury and Executioner?

Last edited:
Are you considering using a BA?And, in any event, who made you the Judge, Jury and Executioner?

Correct me if i am wrong here,this is a information forum,correct?? I think it is anyway.If i was selling a service,i would share the results,be it good or bad,but we have had not many answers to general questions on this thread.Call me Skeptical...............but.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i was selling a service,i would share the results,be it good or bad

I sell a service. I don't discuss my clients or the projects I work on with the general public. I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone ... my clients are happy with the work I do and they refer me to other people.

A buyers agent who doesn't do a good job won't last long - those who I've known personally have a satisfied client base who are very happy with the results they have received and will gladly refer them on to other people.

I don't think they feel the need to justify themselves to you in an online forum ... but I'm sure if you engaged them personally, they would be more than happy to share some details in a confidential manner.

I sell a service. I don't discuss my clients or the projects I work on with the general public. I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone ... my clients are happy with the work I do and they refer me to other people.

A buyers agent who doesn't do a good job won't last long - those who I've known personally have a satisfied client base who are very happy with the results they have received and will gladly refer them on to other people.

I don't think they feel the need to justify themselves to you in an online forum ... but I'm sure if you engaged them personally, they would be more than happy to share some details in a confidential manner.

This. Very much this.

I don't see why any professional would need to justify their profession or service just because someone demands it.

I've had a few chats with Propertunity over the past year or so, and I have no issue with referring clients with particular needs on to him. I get nothing from this - except that I know that he will look after my clients.

Back