Buying in bulk online

Looking at buying some furniture online in bulk from India. All we have is a website though so a bit hesitant to part with the money..I know people are always buying from China etc but how do you know if that company really exists?? For anyone that buys from overseas on a regular basis any advice that you would give?

This is a case of buyer be very careful.

You should engage an inspection service in India. They will verify that the business actually exists, go to the premises and inspect the quality including photos, then make sure your order is packed properly and shipped.

I recently engaged one such business in China and was blown away by their thoroughness.

A quick Google Search for "Inspection Service India" brought up many results.

Try to find an inspection service which is linked to an Indian Trade Directory, because that would be a way to ensure that the inspection service itself is real. Be careful - scammers are everywhere.

Are you an Alibaba.com member? If not it might pay you to join up and check out the Community Forums before attempting International Trade. Lots of great info there.

Stangman.

Ryan80, You also need to know ALL of your Importing costs before you place an order.

It is absolutely essential to contact a Customs Broker/ Receiver near your local Port and have them quote an all up price for the shipment. Shipping costs can often make a seemingly good purchase quite expensive and eliminate any chance of profit.

Stangman.

This is a case of buyer be very careful.

You should engage an inspection service in India. They will verify that the business actually exists, go to the premises and inspect the quality including photos, then make sure your order is packed properly and shipped.

I recently engaged one such business in China and was blown away by their thoroughness.

A quick Google Search for "Inspection Service India" brought up many results.

Try to find an inspection service which is linked to an Indian Trade Directory, because that would be a way to ensure that the inspection service itself is real. Be careful - scammers are everywhere.

Are you an Alibaba.com member? If not it might pay you to join up and check out the Community Forums before attempting International Trade. Lots of great info there

Stangman.

Thanks Stangman!

How do I find out if the service is linked to an Indian Trade Directory? I've found a few inspection service companies but don't know if their legit.

Yes I've signed up to Alibaba.

Give me the money and I'll follow it up for you.

I promise.

Or; here's an idea; buy what you need from a local furniture manufacturer - they could do with the money I'd say.

from personal experience of importing stuff, but not to india, be careful,

corruption is rife in a lot of these 3rd world countries,

say you send $50k, that might be 20 years salary for an average joe, pretty good payoff if they could pull a scam off,

even some companies, will do your first couple of orders for say $5k perfetly, and once you get comfortable and send $50k, bam! they can disappear,

so yeah, be very careful

Is this furniture you are planning on selling online? I take it your based in Perth? Be careful as shipping rates to the rest of Australia is prohibitive and regular couriers are not really an option for furniture.

Looking at buying some furniture online in bulk from India. All we have is a website though so a bit hesitant to part with the money..I know people are always buying from China etc but how do you know if that company really exists?? For anyone that buys from overseas on a regular basis any advice that you would give?

Ryan, can u pls PM the website that you are looking at...if it's OK.

Have a talk with Austrade - AQUIS would also be another one. Austrade you can often request (pay for) information on specific companies overseas. Yes they'll charge you but it can often be worth it. Depending on what's happening with that country it can either be a quick or slow turn around though. They'll also be able to help with a list of Australian based solicitors that have offices in both Australia and India

Back