Buying international shares

I know - probably the wrong forum, but someone here may know.

I am looking at purchasing a packet of shares which are listed in the USA. How can I buy these?

How do people buy US shares, what is a good/the best platform. Im intending to buy a number of packets, but it will be an irregular purchase, as such a platform with minimal ongoing fees would suit me the best.

Cheers

Blacky

You can try the following 2 websites.

http://sogotrade.com
http://optionsxpress.com.au/

There was one time few years back I traded penny stocks vigorously (like 10 trades in an hour for one stock) using the sogotrade account because they allowed 100 free trades when you register. I think its like $5 per trade thereafter. The optionxpress.com.au is a bit more expensive per trade but the trading portal is bit better.

They accepted Australian registration back then but not sure now.

I think IV mentioned Interactive brokers here?

I've used OptionsXpress before and it wasn't a bad site to Navigate, like all, the devil is in the detail and setting it all up

If you have an account with Comsec, click on Trading > International Shares. I just set it up through Pershing so I can buy Alibaba shares. If you're not a resident in Oz you need to sign a form saying you live at a mates house so the mail will go there. It's a shame the AUD has fallen so much recently because I'll be transferring money into it tomorrow.

If you're not a resident in Oz you need to sign a form saying you live at a mates house so the mail will go there.

Hmm ok I just checked. You need to actually be an Australian resident, not just have a mailing address. So this one doesn't work for me :(

Ill keep looking.

Im not fussed by the AUD falling, all my cash is held in either GBP or USD anyway, so its a good thing for me.

Blacky

Last edited:
I think IV mentioned Interactive brokers here?

If I mentioned it im sure it wasn't in a positive light?
Who are they?
is my money safe with them?

I don't need a bunch of replies about how big they are etc etc.

What I want to know is are my investments secure with them.

Plenty of people learnt the hard way during the GFC what security of asset manager meant !!!!!
(I am not talking about the underlying asset, I am talking asset manager).

Thanks but no thanks.

IV
That's an interesting point, and one I hadn't really considered.

How safe are theses firms? If the proverbial hits the osselating device - how do you get to your shares?

Who do you purchase international share through?

Blacky.

Back